Coral Vue Hydros

Calvin415's ADA 60P

calvin415

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome scoly family. I have a bleeding apple in my tank that I absolutely love. What kind of chalice is that on the sandbed? Its the red plating chalice, I have one in my tank and was just wondering if you knew a name or anything.

that kalk reactor is great! i want one

Thanks! Easy and cheap to make! :)

Awesome scoly family. I have a bleeding apple in my tank that I absolutely love. What kind of chalice is that on the sandbed? Its the red plating chalice, I have one in my tank and was just wondering if you knew a name or anything.

Thanks! No idea on the name of the Chalice, picked it up from Reefkoi, but had trouble with it (wouldn't adapt to my lights) so I gave it away. :(

I have a frag of that same chalice and man is it mean. It got knocked off my rockwork onto my scoly and damaged the scoly pretty bad. I have it isolated in a corner for the moment. It is a very cool looking piece and has done fine under my led lights.

Partly glad it didn't work out then, would cry if any of my scolys were stung! :(

So here is what I'm doing now and planning in the future...I'm planning on switching gears and trading some of my SPS for more LPS... Colors just pop so much more on the LPS. Still going to keep some SPS, but going to be just a few select pieces which I'm hoping will be faster growers than a couple I have (in their defense they are not know to grow fast).

Started messing with my tank daily, here is a quick summary of what I'm doing...

Swapped the ATS for Chaeto (turf algae stopped growing and corals started to look starved, but I didn't have many fish and I was likely starving the tank).

Started dosing glucose (dissolved 1/4C of sugar in 1/4C of RODI water) .5mL a day.

Add 1mL of aminos (Aquavitro Fuel) a day.

Add approx 10mL of Phyto (Reef Mariculture Phyto Feast) 3 times a week.

Target feed all LPS New Life Spectrum Pellets 4 times a week (considering chopping some table shrimp instead).

Feed the fish flake 4 times a week, and Live BBS 3 times a week.

Going to up the water changes to 35% every 2 weeks (due this weekend)...

So far with all this feeding I think the sugar is doing it's job, nutrient levels appear to be in check, I still only need to clean the glass no more than once a week if that. Not sure if it is the amino's, the bi-product of the sugar,or the extra fish poop, but the corals (I think) are looking better. Thinking of switching to a BioPellet reactor, but for now this method is cheaper.

What is everyone else feeding? What kind of results are you seeing? Thinking about alternating Phyto Feast with Oyster Feast...

You said you're dosing glucose, but if you're using table sugar, you're also dosing fructose... I like the decision to switch to mainly LPS, I feel that most SPS just aren't worth all the extra effort, cost, and fragility. But that's me...

I was dosing quite a bit, running zeolites, zeo additives and VSV. I got so tired of all the dosing I just quit, and my tank responded really well. I noticed a lot more pods and micro-fauna almost immediately. I started reading a little about ATS and really liked the theory, but didn't have the space to set one up. So I added cheato instead and its working out really well. SPS and LPS growth have exploded, and I removed the skimmer a few weeks ago with no problems. I also have a large bioload, 7 fish and an eel and don't have the algea problems I had while doing zeo. Simpler has been better for me. Still dose 2 part though.

I was dosing quite a bit, running zeolites, zeo additives and VSV. I got so tired of all the dosing I just quit, and my tank responded really well. I noticed a lot more pods and micro-fauna almost immediately. I started reading a little about ATS and really liked the theory, but didn't have the space to set one up. So I added cheato instead and its working out really well. SPS and LPS growth have exploded, and I removed the skimmer a few weeks ago with no problems. I also have a large bioload, 7 fish and an eel and don't have the algea problems I had while doing zeo. Simpler has been better for me. Still dose 2 part though.

Cool! Thanks for sharing! :)

Very nice!!!

Thanks bud!

Word. :ninja:

LOL!

Your not messing around!

Nope, done having a crappy looking tank... Can't wait for ReefStock! :D

Some more fish are ordered...

Yasha Hashi w/ Pistol

Helfrichi Firefish

McCoskers Flasher Wrasse

That should complete the livestock side of things...

Reefstock on Saturday, hoping to pick up a few more things to complete the coral side of things... Thinking a nice lobo, and a screaming dendro and maybe some more acans or blastos. Then things will be complete (for now). :)

Nice fish combo... I thought the McCosker got pretty big though, could be mistaken

According to Live Aquaria they get 3" which sounds big, but they also say a green chromi gets 3" so hopefully it's okay...

Wow, those colonies are incredible. Can't wait for the updated pics when they are in your tank.

Thanks, wish in could afford the colonies, the frag cost a small fortune already!

TheNordCelt
Some more fish are ordered...

Yasha Hashi w/ Pistol

Helfrichi Firefish

McCoskers Flasher Wrasse

That should complete the livestock side of things...

Reefstock on Saturday, hoping to pick up a few more things to complete the coral side of things... Thinking a nice lobo, and a screaming dendro and maybe some more acans or blastos. Then things will be complete (for now). :)

Sweet! I love wrasses. I had a McCoskers before I moved, but he didn't make it. One of the coolest fish I've had though, always flashing.

Sweet! I love wrasses. I had a McCoskers before I moved, but he didn't make it. One of the coolest fish I've had though, always flashing.

Sucks he didn't make it. :(. Mine is still acclimating but coming out more and more... Stupid royal gramma is being a complete @sshole, has really been tagging my helfrichi too, nice lump on his side. :(

Pistol yasha pair went and hid right in the middle of my rock work kicking my harlequin serpent star out in the process. Sucks cause I lost a starfish and I can't even see them! Grrrrr.

So today was Rref Stock and I picked up my Acans today along with even more Acans! :( Stupid me, where he he'll am I supposed to put 17 Acan frags with all the crap I already have in this tank!?!? Going to have to sell some stuff to make room for the best of the best. Kinda bummed I have to start narrowing it down.

Archived