Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

I heard clear finger nail polish, but I also heard use automotive clear coat.

Do either of these work?

I coated mine with clear nail polish. I put on probably about 5-6 coats on. One recommendation i'd make would be to make sure that you coat around the edge and about one brush width on to the side (if that makes sense). I didnt do this the first time around and the coating started to peel. I resealed the way i explained (poorly) and everything is sealed well

moonwasaloon: I just glue a piece of plastic plate at the back of the light box and have it go under the lights, so it block any water get to the lightbulbs, I use those clear plastic from food packaging, works well.

Here is mine, just started on Dec 11,2011 :)

dvtank08jan2012.jpg

Edited by darthvictor

cover the entire face of the bulb, then the lip thats along the outside edge, and then about a brush widths up along the sides. Just helps seal it better IMO but you can just cover the face of the bulb, your choice

Haha, I am kinda confused. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

cgma0a04e590a159c3bca9b0937f054bc0a349.jpg

Haha I know it will be confusing, ok I use this packaging ( look at the bottom part, the clear plastic where it has a lid ) I just glue that to the light fixture. I will take a pic of my setup tonight :)

Noob with an Edge

So i am a noob in the full meaning of the word, but unlike most i have taken the time to do my research before asking dumb questions. Over the past week I have read this entire thread and saying you guys are unbelievably helpful is an understatement. I still however have a few questions. Im the fish guy at a local petsmart and have a tremendous knowledge of freshwater aquariums but sadly absolutely nothing with salt. I used my discount to pick me up one of the brand new Edges with built in Leds. Its currently still sitting in the box but I tend to turn it into a reef. I know the new model with leds is a major improvement over the old halogen but I still suspect it is not enough for healthy coral. My biggest question is how much do I need to add to the lighting in order to keep most moderate light corals? Another question I had is about power heads. I see a lot of people going with the koralia nano but wishing they would have gone with the bank busting vortech. I was wondering what the big difference is? And lastly it seems like no edger is happy with the heater they put in so im hoping to hear some success story to point me in the right direction with that.

So i am a noob in the full meaning of the word, but unlike most i have taken the time to do my research before asking dumb questions. Over the past week I have read this entire thread and saying you guys are unbelievably helpful is an understatement. I still however have a few questions. Im the fish guy at a local petsmart and have a tremendous knowledge of freshwater aquariums but sadly absolutely nothing with salt. I used my discount to pick me up one of the brand new Edges with built in Leds. Its currently still sitting in the box but I tend to turn it into a reef. I know the new model with leds is a major improvement over the old halogen but I still suspect it is not enough for healthy coral. My biggest question is how much do I need to add to the lighting in order to keep most moderate light corals? Another question I had is about power heads. I see a lot of people going with the koralia nano but wishing they would have gone with the bank busting vortech. I was wondering what the big difference is? And lastly it seems like no edger is happy with the heater they put in so im hoping to hear some success story to point me in the right direction with that.

I too am a noob and my understanding on the vortech mainly comes down to several reason....mainly space (the blades are the only part in the tank) it very small, you can control its operation, increase/decrease the gallons per hour andalso he doesn't add heat to the hotter because the motor is outside he water. But unfortunately it is bank busting, and probably worth every pennyif you ask its owners. I personally don't own a pump yet, but will most likely pick up a nano until i get more comfortable with the entire process/system.

Hinesassociates
Anybody knows how to remove the swing arm? Need space for another fixture.

Eventually put a link to picture.

There are 4 small screws in the arm (2 on each side). Just unscrew them and they unclip. Its pretty easy.

...My biggest question is how much do I need to add to the lighting in order to keep most moderate light corals? Another question I had is about power heads. I see a lot of people going with the koralia nano but wishing they would have gone with the bank busting vortech. I was wondering what the big difference is? And lastly it seems like no edger is happy with the heater they put in so im hoping to hear some success story to point me in the right direction with that.

Cram as much lighting in as you can physically (and financially) and it will likely still come up a bit short in terms of spread and intensity. I totally gutted the hood in mine and replaced it with 4 13w PCs. I know some out there have gone even more extreme.

The Vortech is undoubtedly an awesome addition to our world but save your money. You'll only be able to set the MP10 at its very lowest setting without creating a snow storm. Plus, while the Koralia takes up slightly more real estate, it's easily hidden and more flexible in the direction of current. With the Vortech, your options are (1) on the back pointing straight forward, or (2) side to side (no angles other than 90 degrees). I've got my Koralia positioned in the bottom center of the back of my Edge pointed at a diagonal up and over the side of my live rock. With that and the return from my fuge, I've got great flow throughout the tank.

Heaters...I've got a 50W in my fuge. Not much help for you there unless you're drilling your tank.

Cram as much lighting in as you can physically (and financially) and it will likely still come up a bit short in terms of spread and intensity. I totally gutted the hood in mine and replaced it with 4 13w PCs. I know some out there have gone even more extreme.

The Vortech is undoubtedly an awesome addition to our world but save your money. You'll only be able to set the MP10 at its very lowest setting without creating a snow storm. Plus, while the Koralia takes up slightly more real estate, it's easily hidden and more flexible in the direction of current. With the Vortech, your options are (1) on the back pointing straight forward, or (2) side to side (no angles other than 90 degrees). I've got my Koralia positioned in the bottom center of the back of my Edge pointed at a diagonal up and over the side of my live rock. With that and the return from my fuge, I've got great flow throughout the tank.

Heaters...I've got a 50W in my fuge. Not much help for you there unless you're drilling your tank.

Any chance you could post a picture of the Koralia in your tank? I'm curious as to how it looks exactly.

There are 4 small screws in the arm (2 on each side). Just unscrew them and they unclip. Its pretty easy.

Thanks a lot!!!! Now entering a new world with another light over Edge!

Hinesassociates
Thanks a lot!!!! Now entering a new world with another light over Edge!

Have fun. It's a tough one to light though so don't get frustrated if it takes a couple tries. One of the exciting things about these tanks is getting creative with it. I ended up getting a bunch of cree LEDs and making a fixture Diy style (actually I am still working on it), but I tried a few things first. Don't forget to make a tank thread and let us know what you come up with. :)

Any chance you could post a picture of the Koralia in your tank? I'm curious as to how it looks exactly.

post-70598-1327777069_thumb.jpg

Here is a cruddy picture of the tank from the front. You can see the black overflow box and sump return in the rear center. The power head is to the left of and below the overflow box, behind the big rounded rock.

post-70598-1327777080_thumb.jpg

Here is the Koralia, tucked in the back of the tank.

Edited by mnorma12

hi guys, just doing my research before i dive into a fluval edge nano reef. almost read all the pages lol my question is:

2x mr 11 or mr 16 leds

2 -4 led strips

1x coralife 50/50 10w

is this enough lighting to do some soft corals? ultimetly i just want some soft corals a clown fish and maybe a shrimp

or would it be more wise to remove the swing arm. and add 2x coralife 50 50 20w only? and leds for a moonlight?

i dont mind modding and making a bigger hood. but if i could keep it stock id love too

one more silly question i have is: does it matter if the lighting is sitting directly over the opening on top of the water or is it the same if its sitting over ontop of the glass?

thanks

post-70598-1327777069_thumb.jpg

Here is a cruddy picture of the tank from the front. You can see the black overflow box and sump return in the rear center. The power head is to the left of and below the overflow box, behind the big rounded rock.

post-70598-1327777080_thumb.jpg

Here is the Koralia, tucked in the back of the tank.

Looks nice, thanks for posting. I thought it looked like that, just wanted to get confirmation. I think I'm going to get a nano 425 myself in the next 2 weeks.

Here's mine. I took the top off. It's a lot easier to do maintenance now.

920fe574.jpg

How did you take the top off? I'm worried it might compromise the integrity of the tank itself, since it wasn't originally designed for that. Looks sweet none the less, like an ADA tank.

How did you take the top off? I'm worried it might compromise the integrity of the tank itself, since it wasn't originally designed for that. Looks sweet none the less, like an ADA tank.

I used a razor blade. It took me about 45 minutes to get all the silicon off. I filled the tank up with water an left it running for a week. I saw no water leaks. The silicon seams are pretty good.

Haha, I am kinda confused. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Here is my light setup, with 2 ecopico led strip and the MR11 LED bulbs. then just glue the food package as cover.

post-68550-1327933809_thumb.jpg

I used a razor blade. It took me about 45 minutes to get all the silicon off. I filled the tank up with water an left it running for a week. I saw no water leaks. The silicon seams are pretty good.

Ah man, I'd be too scared to do that to my tank! , lol looks awesome nonetheless

Cut the top off of mine and its about 90% easier to do anything with it. I only did so because my top piece cracked but the silicon is very good, I have had a large HOB filter on it for a long time and no sign of weakening or leaking silicon. Plus its so easy to clean, move, feed, and just generally work with anything.