inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

edavis402

after having freshwater tanks my entire life and always wanting to go saltwater i finally made the jump. it has been set up for 5 days so far.

B232453D-9CDD-493F-BD78-A444732A4591.jpg

i am using stock ac20 with carbon and filter floss

stock fluval led lights and a marineland led light with 45 leds that sits on top of tank

hydor nano

marineland heater

8.5 lbs of dry rock

1lb of dry sand

so far so good. it has only been 5 days so its really early, how soon until i should expect to see some algae, i know since i went dry with everything it might take a while. i have been dosing with the required measurements of purple up that is supposed to promote algae.

any tips and suggestions appreciated. i have spent last 2 weeks researching as much as i can on reef tanks and it still seems like i know nothing. also when can i add livestock-clown fish, shrimp, frags?

Cameron6796

Purple up is supposed to promote macro algea which is purple little crusts on the rock since you have no macro in there it isn't doing anything. Honestly if you want the macro algea then buy a small peice of live rock with some on it.

As for live stock do you have test kits for amonia nitrite and nitrate you will need those to know when your cycle is over and ammonia is at 0 nitrite at 0 and nitrate at no higher then 15 the. You can do a water change and add something small like some hermit crabs or snails. Then once stable I would add your clownfish. I'd wait a little longer before adding corals and shrimp as they are tou heir then fish.

edavis402

didnt know that. thanks Cameron. A guy at my LFS recomended it. right now the only test kit i have is a calcium test kit, i plan on getting a master reef test kit this week after payday, so far i have been topping off every other day with RO water and doing water changes on the 4th day-only done 1 so far.

Cameron6796

I'd leave water changes due to it may remove things you need for your cycle to occur maybe make a build thread for you tank. I have the edge as fresh and wish I could do it SW since they are already so sleek, and the reef colours would be impresive.

Do you have a link to the light you are using. Also one final thing purple up will help with calcium a slight bit but I'm pretty sure I heard it isn't worth it if you just buy a small peice of live rock to "seed" the tank with good bacteria and macro algaes

Omg just realized I'm using the wrong term hahahahahahan not macro algea that purple cancerous stuff on the rocks is coralline silly me hahahahahaha.

edavis402

this is the light im using, very cheap but i had it on my fresh water set up along with stock edge led and it worked fine. i realize ill have to probably upgrade it for growing corals tho. http://www.petco.com/product/118303/Marineland-LED-Aquarium-Light-Bar.aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_HoodsLighting

was thinking about a couple of these and set them on top of my edge but im not sure...

http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led-lights/stunner-led-strips/stunner-led-strips.html

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been in the game for about a year with my fluval edge being my first sw tank. I was wondering on how often you do water changes, and what is the percentage of the water you do? And can you please share your livestock. That'd be great!! Also, I was looking for some good beginner corals/inverts. I have about 9 red mushroom polyps (which were a steal--an absolutely great deal).

TIA

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble with my Fluval edge glass mainly in the front. It is really cloudy and I've tried all kinds of scrapers but nothing seems to work. The weird part is the sides of the tank are clear. Any ideas or suggestions for removing stubborn cloudiness?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really wanted to read this whole thread but it was just too long. I have 2 Fluval Edge 6 gallon reef aquariums. One is still cycling and the other is at the end of the cycing and has its fish and cleanup crew. Both have basically the same equipment setup.

Equipment:

stock filter +extra filter media

hydor nano 240 power head

50W tetra heater

1" - 2" live sand

8 lbs super awesome live rock

Livestock:

2x Maroon Clownfish

1 Blue tuxedo sea urchin

1 Fire Shrimp

1 emerald crab

3 each snails and hermit crabs

The other tank has the same equipment except the live sand is black and mixed with black gravel and no livestock as of yet

I'm going to upgrade the lighting to the new AI Prime lighting.... I have 2 preordered and paid

silver Fluval Edge Pico-Reef

white Fluval Edge Nano-Reef

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am kind of surprised that no one has ordered the glass Mame overflow for this thing. People are dropping sever hundred dollars on LEDs, but not an extra $150 on a sump? Just a little idea (I did see the one with an overflow box, but that Mame overflow is just gorgeous).

Wow thank you for mentioning this, that is really wonderful, and we spend a fortune on other gadgets so why not this... I was looking at one of the plastic overflow boxes, but this one is just beautiful, thanks a lot (even though it is an old post.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Here's my Edge setup. It was supposed to be a planted FW shrimp setup, but I decided to make this my first SW setup. The tank has been up and running for 3 months.

Equipment

Fluval Edge 6G

Kessil 160WE

AC20 w/ inTank media basket (running filter floss and chemi-pure blue)

Neotherm 75W heater

Hydor Nano 240

10lbs live sand and 6lbs reef rock

Livestock

Yellow clown goby

Purple firefish jumped :(

Wyoming white clownfish jumped :(

Frostbite clownfish ( I finally decided to make a cover)

Tiger pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby (paired)

Hermits (2 scarlets and 1 blue legged)

Various snails (nerites, bumble bees,and dwarf ceriths)

Various macros (red mangroves, dragon's tongue, and red razor)

sw_tank65.jpg

sw_tank46.jpg

Edit: added this sweet pink and yellow goniopora over the weekend.

EBE07189-CD36-45C5-864B-1E10A986F143.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Hi

Can anyone recommend settings for a predominantly Zoa 23l running Ultrabrite leds. Not the best IT person in the world. Hope to put up pics soon.

Regards
Flynny

Guys have anyone of you tried to put the led lights from 12v to 6g?

They still suck. U can transfer the led bar but it's way to white and nowhere near bright enough. I am sure some simple softies would work. I used a current orbit marine lite for 100 bucks sitting on my edge for the whole year it was setup before I transferred to bigger tank. Was capable of growing anything in that small tank

They still suck. U can transfer the led bar but it's way to white and nowhere near bright enough. I am sure some simple softies would work. I used a current orbit marine lite for 100 bucks sitting on my edge for the whole year it was setup before I transferred to bigger tank. Was capable of growing anything in that small tank

Yeah im just growing some torch, gsp and frogspawn... I just want it to be low profile and still under the hood. But those it fit?

Yea I believe the light arm can be switched out. I'm not really sure if that will b enough for a torch. Options for under the hood are hard/expensive. Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway im thinking of doing a little diy with my lights. Has anyone in tried fluval sea nano halo? Also how would you mount ai prime under the hood?

Cakes_the kid

Anyway im thinking of doing a little diy with my lights. Has anyone in tried fluval sea nano halo? Also how would you mount ai prime under the hood?

Might be to close to the water under the hood

Resized_20160614_172318_1.jpeg