Top Shelf Aquatics

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Any pics @spectra?

Nothing real good yet. Sun Coral opened up right away and has been fed twice now. Still trying to get the dendros to open up they seem a little pissed.....

Will snap a few tomorrow if I can get some time at feeding.

Ok snapped a few so here are the Dendros not opened up though...have dropped some food on both now 2 days in a row.. ... IMG_1198.jpg

Here is the Sun Coral all happy after a treat.......IMG_1197.jpg 5 heads also as there is a tiny one buried in there.

• Like 2

What's everybody feeding their Suns 'n Dendros?

I typically use mysis but also spray them with oyster feast, roti feast or nutricell. Not sure if they actually get anything from small particle foods though

Cyclops, mysis shrimp, live black worms, reef frenzy, frozen blood worms (not often), diced shrimp, and some marine pellets. I recently purchased oyster feast but don't feed it too often.

Looks like balanophyllia. They are like dendros although seem way more sensitive to light.

Thanks, never had one before. Tentacles are transparent like Rhyzo but not as long. Body has more flesh on it then I've seen on a Rhyzo also.

• Like 1

Balanos only really started coming in a few years ago, haven't been real popular, probably because they aren't as willing to open up in a lot of conditions. Doesn't seem like you see any rhizo's for sale anymore, I wouldn't mind another since I managed to kill my 2nd last year when I was working out town a ton.

• Like 1

20151104_200842.jpg definitely my favorite

Cyclops, mysis shrimp, live black worms, reef frenzy, frozen blood worms (not often), diced shrimp, and some marine pellets. I recently purchased oyster feast but don't feed it too often.

Thanks, never had one before. Tentacles are transparent like Rhyzo but not as long. Body has more flesh on it then I've seen on a Rhyzo also.

Balanos only really started coming in a few years ago, haven't been real popular, probably because they aren't as willing to open up in a lot of conditions. Doesn't seem like you see any rhizo's for sale anymore, I wouldn't mind another since I managed to kill my 2nd last year when I was working out town a ton.

I feed mine LRS that goes in the tank. I just spot feed them and they love it. Have not had a chance to get any mysis yet.

My Dendro opens up now and the Balano only opens at night am going to move it into less light and see what happens with it. Did not know they were sensitive to light.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Balano I believe. It only opens up when the tank is completely dark and even if they're indirect light, it'll close. I have to feed it by resting food on it's head, then the mouth slowly pulls it in. Hopefully It'll change to open up more in the day...

OvgbTdJ.jpg

Ptwr5Vb.jpg

• Like 2

OCN nice, gotta post a nite shot with it open. Looked at mine this morning and it looks as if it was stung by something. Missing some tissue around the head, hopefully it'll heal.

Does anyone feed their dendro's cut up silversides or something that won't pollute the tank as mysis would? Or pellets? I would like to try a dendro (not a sun coral) for my 10gallon. I don't have a skimmer so I want to keep the feedings as low nutrient as possible. My diy skimmer is not ready yet.

Feeding dendros it's pretty easy not to mess up the tank by just feeding directly. It's only if you get into colonies or large amounts that it would pollute the tank. Any meaty seafood can be fed, variety is good.

OCN nice, gotta post a nite shot with it open. Looked at mine this morning and it looks as if it was stung by something. Missing some tissue around the head, hopefully it'll heal.

Should be fine, some of my nps have been knocked on each other and bad fragging injuries, they recover amazingly well. My balano colony we fragged off the side and it just popped back up with 3x as many heads.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging words @GoinPostal

The last two weeks I've been chopping up scallops and feeding it to my corals, even my trumpet corals. I also do fresh shrimp from time to time @Elizabeth94

I am not running a skimmer on my 20 and well I feed a ton and do not have any issues. Just do weekly water changes and it should work out.

I have a single headed dendro and the ballano, 6 headed duncan, 5 headed sun coral, 2 plate corals and various acans that I spot feed. I think the nassarius snails see to know when the pumps go off they come out :) Plus many of the paly love the food along with the fish and snails.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone feed their dendro's cut up silversides or something that won't pollute the tank as mysis would? Or pellets? I would like to try a dendro (not a sun coral) for my 10gallon. I don't have a skimmer so I want to keep the feedings as low nutrient as possible. My diy skimmer is not ready yet.

pellets direct fed Imo are the cleanest get a single head and go from there, they take some dedication but are well worth it

+1 on the nassarius - I have 3 in my biocube 29 and they love the leftovers from my sun coral. 40 heads and I spot feed it mysis 5 to 6 times a week, soaked in Selcon 2x week. I turn off the pump, powerhead and skimmer while feeding, let the clowns and nassarius eat leftovers then use the baster to get anything uneaten that I can find. My nitrates run around 10 but everything (softies, LPS) is growing like crazy. 10-20 % water changes each week and I change the filter pad every 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love feeding my Acans, duncan, and my Tubastrea (when I had them). This thread really has me considering stepping up my tank size a little and doing a tank dedicated to these as well as some dendros.

Going to have do design a skimmer and some reactors though to keep the nutrients in check.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone's sun coral spawned? Happened to catch mine today - and the 2 clowns were having a feast. Had to research to make sure that was what was happening. Was able to catch a bit on video.

• Like 1