Innovative Marine Aquariums

** StevieT's How to Change Water Guide **

StevieT

exactly, stiring up all the junk in the tank is not a bad thing at all! I will run floss directly after doing a change and it collects all the junk. The water just looks amazing the following day after a WC

Oh, don't suck so hard next time ;) ; all you need to do is get it going, the rest will come on it's own, i have never gotten any in my mouth. I like the mechanized way of how you do it B)

Good move, I was unsure if it should be in the beginners or general

Edited by StevieT

Great guide StevieT....may I also suggest a mention on how to use powerhead/tubing to get the water from your bucket up into the tank. Noob here couldn't hoist the 5g bucket 5 ft over into my tank and was bailing it in using smaller buckets till got the info on using powerhead and tubing to get the new water back into the tank. I have my tubing going into the back chamber (I've got an AP) so it won't disturb the sandbed & corals. Just a thought for those who like me, had no clue one could use a powerhead to send the new salt water back in.

Ellen

nice thread stevie!

now i know how to do a waterchange :P

edit: u guys suck on the tube to start the syphen? ewwwww i just fill my hose with tapwater about half full them one end into the tank and let the other end drop into the bucket. no sucking envolved.

Edited by reefone
RayWhisperer

So the fish look like they are all sleeping... Is that normal?

Sorry StevieT, I had to. I just couldn't help myself.

So the fish look like they are all sleeping... Is that normal?

Sorry StevieT, I had to. I just couldn't help myself.

yes because they r dead. but look on the bright side no more water changes :D

im sorry also stevie but ray started it :P

EVERYONE THAT IS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING BLEACH IN UR TANK. THIS IS JUST A JOKE. DO NOT PUT BLEACH IN UR TANK UNLESS U WANT EVERYTHING DEAD.

does anyone aerate their water before changing? i don't but i know many others do for 24 hours or so.

also, i microwave some freshwater when it's cold and add it to the rest in order to increase temperature. you can also do it stovetop (probably faster) but make sure there's no oil or that the pot isn't made of copper.

also, can we emphasize the importance of refractometers for noobs? i used a swing arm for the longest and it was completely worthless.

nice thread stevie!

now i know how to do a waterchange :P

edit: u guys suck on the tube to start the syphen? ewwwww i just fill my hose with tapwater about half full them one end into the tank and let the other end drop into the bucket. no sucking envolved.

That's exactly what i do too ! i dont suck! haha!

I have little white bugs on my glass. Is that bad?

you guys are too funny!!!! You can eat the bugs, or put in a shark, that should take care of them.

To the rest... there are a lot of different ways of doing a water change, this is a general guide of how I do them. You can hook up a powerhead to pump the water back in if you can not lift a few gallons of water, or go to the gym and work on building up those arms! B)

The pump I use was from a skimmer, so often before I start the change I will open up the air valve and let it do it's magic getting good gas exchange into the water. Not super necessary but helpful if you have something available.

Fish do not sleep dummy, they drink too may red bulls. ;)

Not sure how you guys feel about this but I do this for my pico... I take the tube from my ATO jug and stick in the bucket of fresh salt water to refill my tank. Takes a while but in case their are any difference between the existing water and new water, it's not introduced too quickly... and mostly.. I'm lazy.

To the rest... there are a lot of different ways of doing a water change, this is a general guide of how I do them. You can hook up a powerhead to pump the water back in if you can not lift a few gallons of water, or go to the gym and work on building up those arms! B)

Not lack of muscles but not everyone's tank is low enough to easily pour water into, lol. Let alone the fact that you'd have a huge sandstorm if one poured the contents of said 5g bucket into the tank at one go, its not like you can lean it on the rim, lol. . Just had meant that not everyone does 1 to 2 gallon water changes to their tanks. For sure the powerhead method is the fastest and cleanest way to go about it. I sure can't heft about 40+ pounds of water in a home depot bucket up and over into my tan, standing over 4 ft tall. But yes there are a few ways to go about it, not all of us reefers are body builders.

Love the thread & hope it attains "stickihood"

I aerate my saltwater as well. Usually, I let it sit for 24 hrs to let the saltwater stabilize.

I'm in the process of just flipping a switch to change water, and then in about 2 weeks, I'm going to add a timer to flip the switch for me.

Edited by jimbo327

I would just like to say a massive thankyou to stevie t as a complete newbie (have the water cycling as we speak and just researching) it is wonderful to have this kind of info on hand cheers. And thanks nanoreef.com

• Like 1
Reefer-tron

In addition to unplugging my pumps I have found it is also helpful to unplug my heater when I do my WC in my NC6 otherwise I start a really nice steam effect. I suppose in larger tanks this isn't a problem as you have enough water to that your levels don't lower that much.

Just be sure not to boil your tank / crack your heater.

I wipe down the outside of the tank and stand with Windex for a nice sparkle shine!

I have a question about this. I have been told by multiple people that you shouldn't ever use windex glass cleaner even on the exterior of an aquarium because the ammonia it contains will eventually leak through the glass and contaminate your water and kill your livestock. Is this remotely true? I've always taken this with a gram of salt because some people say you shouldn't use windex on computer monitors or cds because its a harsh abrasive but I've used it for years and years on both for cleaning purposes and never had a single problem. I do keep the windex away from my 58" panasonic plasma though :P