Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

** StevieT's How to Change Water Guide **

StevieT

Thank You, Thank you, ThankYou!!! Just did it on my BC 14 and it worked like a charm. Great tip! :D

James

You're welcome! Sometimes the best things in life are free! I'm glad this simple idea has helped someone else, and nothing to buy since the spoon can be washed & used for what spoons are normally used for LOL!

I usually make mine the same day that I do a change.

Now there are a few factors that will regulate if the water is ready:

1. Temperature

2. PH

You need to wait for the water to match the tanks temperature. That will take a few hours depending on what size heater you are using.

Also, you may have an issue with the new waters PH. It may be lower than in the tank. To solve this add an airstone to the bucket. My PH is usually matched without using any kind of air stone, just good circulation is needed when mixing the salt. I have gotten in the habbit of opening the pumps air valve since it is an old skimmer pump, it seems to help with oxygen exchange and PH.

you're welcome.

I find it so much easier to make your own, plus there are no travel expenses and impulse buys at the LFS! B)

You also have 100% control over the water, salt, and mixing quality.

you're welcome.

I find it so much easier to make your own, plus there are no travel expenses and impulse buys at the LFS! B)

You also have 100% control over the water, salt, and mixing quality.

are there different quality salts?

I really like Red Sea Coral Pro, it has worked well for me.

on the book....I hate reading ;) I am into making equipment right now, maybe I'll get to that book one day, there needs to be more out there for nano reefs.

I really like Red Sea Coral Pro, it has worked well for me.

on the book....I hate reading ;) I am into making equipment right now, maybe I'll get to that book one day, there needs to be more out there for nano reefs.

It would be a great idea. You pretty much have it all written just need to make it longer. You can make good money.

Be careful with that AWT salt analysis - it's a good guide but the results are flawed. They tested at a certain level to determine salinity strength at the beginning, but never adjusted any of the levels in the following tests to make up for varying salinities. So the results aren't totally reliable. It's still a good reference though. Instant Ocean isn't a bad salt. Each salt is a bit different for Ca, Mg, alkalinity & trace element amounts. One is better for one thing, another is better for something else. I switch around between IO, IO Reef Crystals, and Red Sea Coral Pro, and whether one is better I cannot tell from the health of the life in my tank - they all work for me. But, I add a trace element additive, coral vitamins/amino acids, just to be sure. And I track my Ca and alk and add a 2-part and a pH buffer to my ATO water to keep everything in line. Water changes are important in helping keep the water parameters in line too. As StevieT said you can find debates, and conflicting opinions all over the place on what salt is best! :huh:

Edited by Reefmack

for mixing salt? that pump should do fine, anything cheap will do the trick, but don't get something too weak since it will take forever to mix and can leave salt undissolved at the bottom of the bucket.

Look at a Maxi Jet to compare prices, they have air hose intakes so you can inject bubbles into the water.

HORTON16 On the F&S kit it looks like the siphon is just 10 feet of 1/2" tubing - if that's true there are easier to start siphons available - with just tubing you'd have to suck on one end to get it going. JMO but I wouldn't care to be doing that. No idea what that Neutralize chemical is, but I doubt it's needed. The other stuff is OK. Just my opinions.

HORTON16 On the F&S kit it looks like the siphon is just 10 feet of 1/2" tubing - if that's true there are easier to start siphons available - with just tubing you'd have to suck on one end to get it going. JMO but I wouldn't care to be doing that. No idea what that Neutralize chemical is, but I doubt it's needed. The other stuff is OK. Just my opinions.

I already have a siphon I wouldnt need that. The main things i'm buying it for is the heater, pump, thermometer, refractometer

props on another awesome thread StevieT!!!

this and the how to glue thread should be stickies on this site!!!!

;)

thanks