ReefCleaners.org

** StevieT's How to Change Water Guide **

StevieT

captianshellnutt

Super Job StevieT, Thanks for all the details. Also thanks to the other experienced guys who have given helpful insights. I almost cought myself wondering if one brand of bleach is better than another :o

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so just a quick question, if you are puting fresh water in your tank for topoffs, then why would you need to do water changes, I know this is prolly a stupid question, but I always say you cant learn anything if you dont ask questions :)

Ok so just a quick question, if you are puting fresh water in your tank for topoffs, then why would you need to do water changes, I know this is prolly a stupid question, but I always say you cant learn anything if you dont ask questions :)

The reason for top offs is to add back from evaporation and deal with the increase in salinity since salt does not leave the tank. Evaportation does not remove waste and nitrates in the water. Water changes do, they also introduce trace elements, calcium, alk, etc into the water for the health of your corals.

In such a small environment, water changes are needed to replenish trace elements and remove wastes that would otherwise possibly cause a crash in the tank, or unhealthy corals/fish.

Glad you asked B)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump for the September newbies like myself :P

How far in advance do we make our salt water for the weekly change? I plan on doing my changes on Sunday and was wondering If I could do my mix lets say on Friday. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Edited by Acerone

Sure, many "age" their water or make it ahead of time for emergencies or time saving.

Just put a cover on it to control the evap, make sure you check the salinity before adding to the tank as it is bound to change in those few days. I like to keep the pump and heater on during a period of time to keep everything mixed.

I usually mix up water in the early afternoon and change it in the evening before leaving the office.

Sure, many "age" their water or make it ahead of time for emergencies or time saving.

Just put a cover on it to control the evap, make sure you check the salinity before adding to the tank as it is bound to change in those few days. I like to keep the pump and heater on during a period of time to keep everything mixed.

I usually mix up water in the early afternoon and change it in the evening before leaving the office.

Very good, thanks StevieT....

Heres what'll convince me to keep doing water changes... :naughtydance:

clean water on the left and tank water on the right*(weekly water changes)

Picture537.jpg

*thanks to StevieT's proof reading

Edited by wahoo_drew
Heres what'll convince me to keep doing water changes... :naughtydance:

clean water on the left and tank water on the left(weekly water changes)

OH yeah!! But you mean right :lol:

Very cool thread. I'm new to making salt water because I've been buying mine for the past 4 years. I recently bought an RO unit so I guess making my own salt water was in order. I haven't done a bucket yet but I will follow your method. Seems very easy.

Quick question though. I've heard some people do water jugs of salt water but let it sit for like a full 24 hours before they use it. Do you recommend that as well? Or how long after making your salt water do you use it. I hope this question was asked already because I didn't read the entire 6 pages of the thread, lol.

Thanks.

Hey Cesar

wow 4 years and never made water, :welcome: to reefkeeping ;)

I usually make my water around 2pm, then change it around 6pm, so I don't age it much. I do open up the air valve on the pump to introduce some oxygen just to put my mind at ease that the salt is all mixed the the PH is matched.

Yet, I have mixed it, then left it for days before changing. Since the tank is at my office sometimes I don't get a chance to do it right away. Some age it, some do not. I have not seen a difference in my tank between the two ways, the main thing is to match temp and SG. PH should be close, I used to test in the beginning yet haven't done so in a LONG time, but it doesn't hurt.

Conclusion, it doesn't matter IME.

Hey Cesar

wow 4 years and never made water, :welcome: to reefkeeping ;)

I usually make my water around 2pm, then change it around 6pm, so I don't age it much. I do open up the air valve on the pump to introduce some oxygen just to put my mind at ease that the salt is all mixed the the PH is matched.

Yet, I have mixed it, then left it for days before changing. Since the tank is at my office sometimes I don't get a chance to do it right away. Some age it, some do not. I have not seen a difference in my tank between the two ways, the main thing is to match temp and SG. PH should be close, I used to test in the beginning yet haven't done so in a LONG time, but it doesn't hurt.

Conclusion, it doesn't matter IME.

Thanks. I will look into that. But this is a cool thread for us noobs. Well 4 year reefer noob. :P

Hey, I'm new to this whole nano-reefing business as well, and I think this post is extremely helpful. Thanks for the info, Stevie.

Going back to the scraping algae/coraline discussion... you can also try using heavy-duty plastic pot scrapers... I think "Pampered Chef" makes a 3-pack, and you can probably buy them at any kitchen supply store. They're square pieces of apoxy with sharp edges and one rounded corner (perfect for those rounded tank corners ;)

Cheers, and thanks again.

Hey, I'm new to this whole nano-reefing business as well, and I think this post is extremely helpful. Thanks for the info, Stevie.

Going back to the scraping algae/coraline discussion... you can also try using heavy-duty plastic pot scrapers... I think "Pampered Chef" makes a 3-pack, and you can probably buy them at any kitchen supply store. They're square pieces of apoxy with sharp edges and one rounded corner (perfect for those rounded tank corners ;)

Cheers, and thanks again.

good advice! I should edit the first page with all the methods that people use to scrape their glass, there are so many! I still prefer the razor blade :D

HORTON16 On the F&S kit it looks like the siphon is just 10 feet of 1/2" tubing - if that's true there are easier to start siphons available - with just tubing you'd have to suck on one end to get it going. JMO but I wouldn't care to be doing that. No idea what that Neutralize chemical is, but I doubt it's needed. The other stuff is OK. Just my opinions.

You do know you can just fill the hose with water at the sink plug both ends and let them go at the same time and it will start the siphon. hell you can just fill up the hose in the tank and do it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
haha, nice! I like the different colors, that way I don't switch them up, green is waste, white is fresh, no mistakes. I wouldn't want to make up new water in the waste bucket

Why is this?

I have 4 buckets that I use. I fill all of them with RO form the LFS every other week. I use a randomly picked bucket to use to fill my ATO by the time for a water change it is empty us I use this one for my waste. I then will mix salt in another randomly chosen bucket. I now have 2 empty buckets and 2 full buckets. Over the next week I will empty out 1 of the remaining 2 for the ATO and mix salt in the other for the next water change. Now that all 4 buckets are empty I take them all to the LFS and start over.

You think this may be the cause of my diatom troubles?

I keep them seperate so I do not contaminate new water with waste water.

Old water from the tank goes in a green bucket. New water is always mixed up in the white bucket, which is wiped down and cleaned after the change. This way I really don't care if the green bucket has junk in it, I wipe it down every now and then, but it is only for disposal.

I don't know it will directly cause your diatom problem, but an uncleaned bucket can introduce things into the aquarium.

Just clean them out before reuse.

Diatoms could be from other sources such as high nutrient loads, overfeeding, bacteria. That is another issue.

Edited by StevieT
Diatoms could be from other sources such as high nutrient loads, overfeeding, bacteria. That is another issue.

I have combated it from the other angles. After reading this it has got me thinking and with my present method I'm using water that his been sitting in a dirty bucket of over 2 weeks.

The hose in the ATO tank always feels slimy. Bacteria?!?! Should whipping a down and rinse of the ATO tank be on the list of ToDo's?

Edited by Atari

yes, soak everything that is involved in your ATO in vinager, then rinse with fresh water.

If you are making up water in "dirty" buckets and having it grow things for two weeks, it can't be a good thing. I would change that as well.