Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

burtbollinger's 30g Finnex M Tank

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

heh...thanks. I've got a bit of room on the right side, should those acans not make it...was thinking of some collector variety frogspawn or torch...that said, I'm hopeful they'll stay alive and I won't have to replace them.

I ended up ditching my sps and going for a softie/LPS mix after I got the MP10...I really like how the flow of the MP10 makes the tank look in person.

my only other plans at this point are more very colorful ricordea for the bottom...I'd like to have the bottom completely covered in rainbow colors...if you look, you'll notice, I've got some red, orange, yellow, green, and blue...if I can just score some true purple rics I'll be set :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
burtbollinger

heh...thanks. I've done a little rearranging...will add some pictures in the next day or so.

Had a minor setback after replacing main pump...went with a bigger model and the increased flow has injured my grape frogspawn, leading to a VERY slow die off...head by head. Not sure, but if that can trigger BJD then that's what happened. :(

STILL have flow concerns...sometimes I worry the MP10 has a touch too much power on its lowest setting...

Another oddity is the discovery of little all-white flatworms...they don't seem to be harming anything, but I'm definitely staying vigilant. I'm thinking this is due to overfeeding....as I also have lots of small bristleworms.

Also...Ricordea can be tricky...as they grow and seperate, they don't always create that pretty colored carpet I first envisioned...oh, well...its a work in progress.

As for good news...The clowns have begun spawning after @ 2 years...: http://vimeo.com/23938380

Added a small clump of pop pop xenia to the upper right corner...also, I've begun scraping the back glass...after visiting the Waikiki Aquarium, I've realized its the only way to go. Here's a video I shot there:

http://vimeo.com/24976530

Finally...I've purchased the electric "Mojano Wand"...to kill a number of pesky green polyps that keep trying to take over. I'll be busy zapping this weekend.

Anyway, pix to come...

Edited by burtbollinger
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
burtbollinger

2017 Edit: All of the below was PROBABLY due to careless ALk. swings....getting lazy, not monitoring ALk. closely enough:

Not that anyone cares. but I use this as a diary of sorts....

As far as updates...the last week or so hasn't been kind to the tank. A battle to save my grape frogspawn and wall hammer were ultimately unsuccessful. I can only assume damage from too much flow finally did them in. But I also suspect a possible parameter swing and a minor infestation of aocel flatworms for not making my tank as hospitable as it could have been for LPS.

Once the hammer began showing a bit of brown jelly I removed it altogether, as well as the frogspawn....this happened on Tuesday. Brown jelly is new to me...and I wanted anything affected with it...gone.

Lessons learned; quarantine...and be VERY careful when adding a new pump to replace an old one. Even a 2 second blast of too much flow can destroy LPS.

I also ended up removing a large bit of live rock which contained many nice zoas, but also an impossible-to-fight invasion of green palys. The only way to save the tank from total overgrowth was to remove altogether.

I replaced these rocks with @ 12 lbs. of old dry rock I had in the basement.

One other headache is my ricordea....had a few melt on me...happened one day after gluing a few to a new rock.

So then, my tank looks a bit thinner, but is still hanging on...I'm not giving up just yet. Once I get everything stabilized again, I'll try again with a few new LPS pieces..

In the meantime, I scored a Hefrichi firefish for $50 and I just received my ORA mandarin today....I'm looking forward to getting him eating...if not I may have to return him.

Edited by burtbollinger
burtbollinger
it shouldve won a long time ago IMO...

heh...thanks.

I always thought it was a tad too chaotic and random to be spotlighted :)

Anyway, after it recovers, grows out for @ 5-6 months, I think I can be better than ever. It just looks crappy right now due to new live rock and half of my LPS gone.

I might be brave and post a post-surgery pic here in a few...even though it looks like crap.

burtbollinger

roger that. I mean...I had a good solid 2 year run with it, and got zapped by a dumb mistake...nothing to be too embarrassed about (although at times I feel like hiding it with a big towel over it :( )let me track down a camera.

burtbollinger

dude...for rics, Coral Morphologic is where its at. I'm frankly baffled by ricordea. they can be temperamental, and they don't tell you about how they like to move, slide, slouch and reattach over time...

the only problem i see are with your euphyllias...other than that it looks great. i hope they get better.

i thought my very large torch was a gonner, showing half it's skeleton, and was completely receded with only a few polyps coming out the skeleton...it has been like this for a few months, and still clung on to life.

i think it it is coming back.

i think they'll be fine :).

Edited by Squared
burtbollinger

-----

the torches usually look a lot better, as does the GSP....I've had my hands in the tank messing with a first feed attempt with a new fish....but yeah. My Euphillias really took a turn...still trying to sort it all out frankly.

My acans and my torches have really not been affected, only the frogspawn and hammer...slow motion polyp bailout.

It literally could have been parameter swing, new bulb, not enough feeding (I rarely fed), too much flow, too low phosphates, aocel flatworms, salinity swing....I also wonder if chronically low CA could be an issue.

its dizzying almost to try to figure out...but i need to before I drop more money.

Edited by burtbollinger
burtbollinger
19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Your tank is beautiful.

How did you get the euphyllia to sway?

this was an old tank I did...it was a single MP10 dialed all the way down...the return pump nozzle was aimed upward as to not cause any side flow.