Coral Vue Hydros

Podpimp's 60 + 30 Gallon CUBE UPGRADE TO LARGE CUBE!

PODPIMP

It's been over 2 years since my last reef. I enjoyed not having the responsibility of a reef but It's time to get back in the hobby before I get totally lost with all the new equipment out there. Actually, I am kind of baffled already

Equipment List
60 gallon Deep Blue Sea Cube (going to be mostly SPS) + 30 gallon frag tank/refugium + 30 gallon sump.
Modified deep blue stand with custom granite top
Skimz 181 skimmer
eheim 1262 return
Geismann Infinity 250w + 4xT5 +ATI Sunpower 6x24 lighting
Reefkeeper lite controller
2 vortech mp10
Tunze osmolator
eshopps sump
Phosban reactor
60lbs of Marshall Island and Tonga rock.
Airwaterice RODI

Just about all of the equipment will arrive tomorrow so I will be ready to get things going. I decided to stay with T5's for now because I am not convinced that LEDs are the best option for great SPS colors at the moment. I would love to go back to MH but I don't want to deal with the heat and electric. T5's did great for my last tank (click my sig). Maybe the new radion will make me pull the trigger. I will eventually upgrade to a better controller and add an automatic dosing system.

I'll post a bunch of pics and log progress as I go.

RESERVED FOR LATEST FULL TANK SHOT

IMG_5069_zps6b965702.jpgIMG_4660_zps97886f0d.jpg

WATCH IN HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lscZNqLgLF4&list=UUhMQtkcK_YQuWgCqG41ncXA&index=1

Last photo before hurricane Sandy wiped it out

DSC_0022-1.jpg

post-33893-1348588487_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1348588504_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1348588516_thumb.jpg

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This better be good, I don't think I've ever seen an ugly 60 cube before, LOL :)

Seriously, looks like you got all the right stuff to set her up......except the new Radion....

Thanks guys. I'll try not to disappoint.

Doppleganger, thanks man. I love the signature :)

Spirofucci, I though about the current model radion for a while. I almost ordered it :). I just don't like the spectrum produced for SPS. Yes it will grow and color SPS but I have seen and had better colors under the ATI T5's, and of course halides. I am hoping that the new model will have a better spectrum and not look so "flat" in color......but I have to contemplate the $950 price tag as well :o

Welcome back pimp i was actually about to bump your thread because i was wondering if you were still around. Cant wait to see the new tank filled up always been a huge fan of your tanks.

Welcome back! Would be awesome to see anther mouton of sps like last time.

Thanks. I am going to try to limit the species this time. The plan is to have less corals, but allow them to grow larger.

Sweet buildup. :happy:

Thank you :lol:

Welcome back pimp i was actually about to bump your thread because i was wondering if you were still around. Cant wait to see the new tank filled up always been a huge fan of your tanks.

Thanks Rehype. I have some really nice rock from Reefbums tank (reefcentral). Hopefully I can create a unique aqauscape. It probably won't look like much for a while....

I have some really nice rock from Reefbums tank (reefcentral). Hopefully I can create a unique aqauscape. It probably won't look like much for a while....

Your past experience + seed from SPS god (reefbum) = a combination for a spectacularly reef tank.

60g sps cube is my dream tank! Definitely following. U think the 6x24w ATI will be enough for SPS anywhere (or at least most of the tank) in a 60 cube? That would give me even better reason to get one for my 30!

Thanks Asureef! ReefBums tank was amazing! I figured it can't hurt to have some of that bacteria in my reef. Your reef is kick a$$ btw. Keep it up!

60g sps cube is my dream tank! Definitely following. U think the 6x24w ATI will be enough for SPS anywhere (or at least most of the tank) in a 60 cube? That would give me even better reason to get one for my 30!

Yes. I believe that I will be able to grow SPS on the sandbed under the T5's. In my old 34 solana the corals grew at any level.

Welcome back man! I recall you had one hell of a nice solana!

Thank you. Yep, my old solana grew out ok :)

Tagging along, i missed and all these member posted before i did.. wth :)

Haha Good to see you here. I was just looking through your tank thread. I can't believe your tank cracked!! Your heart must have dropped to hear a crack. How's things going now?

Awesome start! I don't know how I missed your previous tank but it was fantastic! Funny you should mention fewer colonies but allowing them to grow out larger because that's exactly my plan with my newest build. The end result is just incredibly gratifying.

Thanks jball

aaron, thank you. Hopefully I have the will power to stop adding those must have colorful sticks :)

I am just adding finishing touches to the stand and then I am ready to make water. Hopefully a day or two before I'm running :)

Skimz skimmer pulling tea out of my rock bin

post-33893-1348785143_thumb.jpg

post-33893-1348785156_thumb.jpg

that rock look really nice. wish i would have started with live rock. :(

Thanks. Why do you wish you started with live rock? What are the drawbacks to using dead stuff besides taking longer to color?

I am filling the tank at the moment. The plumbing is done. I have to organize all the wires and hook everything up etc.. Here's where I'm at right now.

post-33893-1348854214_thumb.jpg

It's been so long since I've had a tank that I feel like the smiley that doppleganger posted omgomgomg

When I get it running, cleared up, and aquascaped, I will post more pics

It is also awesome because it's in the same spot again when you had the 34g solana!

Just curious, did u look at the 60xl solana before went with 60g deep blue? Is there any different with either tank? :)

Archived