Innovative Marine Aquariums

Suggs' DIY 5ft Acrylic Shallow Nano on the wall

Suggs

Ever since I sold my 5ft tank I have been planning all sorts of pico and nano builds! I really want something that is a little different to other tanks and I plan to build most of it myself.

So...... the current plan is to have a shallow panoramic tank attached to my lounge wall to give a type of "floating" look. I think this would look pretty cool.

I've done a quick sketch of my initial idea.

ShallowPanoramicTank1.jpg

ShallowPanoramicTank2.jpg

The tank is approximately 1400mm long x 200mm deep x 200mm tall (this includes 2 small sumps either side)

The floating shelf will be fixed to a solid brick wall using heavy duty anchor bolts which are good for at least 100Kg's.

I dont want any equipment in the tank so I'm taking inspiration from Calvin's 12 foot build. (Thanks Calvin!) I plan to have a closed loop running under the tank through bulkheads. Then use locline for flow in the tank hidden by small rock islands.

The one thing I'm not sure about yet is lighting. I'm tempted to build my own led system but as the tank is not very deep and so shallow, maybe t5's would be more appropriate? I'd like to be able to keep a few sps but it will be mainly lps, zoas, rics, etc.

Any comments, ideas, help, etc would be happily taken on board.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool. I see a lot of wall mounted tanks but none suitable for reefs so very looking forward to see yours.

Check out Stevesleds.com for a lighting option. I only mention this because of how his heat sinks and LEDs can be put together would make a very nice fit for this tank. Just a thought.

not that it can't be done but are your numbers correct? is that tank going to be less than 1/2 a sheet of paper big? thats pretty cool! or did you mean cm and not mm? either way good luck!

Its basically a similar size to the Dymax IQ3 pico just 4 foot ish long.

What I definately need advice on is how thick the acrylic should be and is there a specific type I need to buy?

oic 1400 mm i musta miss read that! ha! well then that would be awesome! i'm sure that 1/4 inch cellcast acrylite would be about perfect for your tank are you adding a brace around the rim?

Ok, a few updated sketchup images.

This is a basic idea of the room its going in. As you can see, I only have a small lounge!

ShallowPanoramicTank3.jpg

The left hand sump I plan to have my skimmer. My thoughts were to use a Tunze DOC Nano 9002 but its a little tall really. Any other thoughts? I'm also tempted to make a led light unit like Dave_UK's.

ShallowPanoramicTank4.jpg

The right hand side sump will have a dsb & chamber for cheato.

ShallowPanoramicTank5.jpg

ShallowPanoramicTank6.jpg

And finally, I thought it could be useful to be able to take out the sump as its going to be impossible to fit a hand in. Only thing that really gets in the way of this is the bulkhead. The insert would have to be a perfect fit to slide in and out.

ShallowPanoramicTank7.jpg

Comments/Ideas welcome

From experience two built in sumps on opposite ends does not work as well as one would expect or hope... :( One will stay flooded the entire time, the other will act like a traditional sump... Just something to plan for (even if they have the same pump). If you plan for it, and build for it you can get away with it, but don't expect both to surface skim.

I did something similar in the past, one side surface skimmed, the other was drilled throughout the lower half and then a powerhead mounted at the top force water across the surface toward the side that skimmed while pulling water up through the chamber filled with chaeto.

Hope that makes sense, if not shoot me a PM and we'll chat about it. Sorry I'm not on here as often as I like Chris, but thanks for the PM. They show up in my email. :)

-Cheers!

Oh and for thickness while 1/4 would work if properly braced 3/8 would be much better looking and give you more piece of mind long term. Not sure how much space you plan for light but I had heat issue on both my long tanks using T-5's and am now a firm believer in LED's. Actually thinking about selling my current LED's to get some more pricey ones. :)

Ok, so after bugging Eric for hours on end I've made some amendments to the plan. Tank is now made from 10mm thick acrylic and has a top brace. I may make it from 8mm thick due to costs unless anyone thinks I really need 10mm?

As you look at the tank, the right hand sump now has no weir and I have removed the dsb. Water enters the sump via small teeth towards the bottom of the sump and will be returned back to the display via a pump and locline nossle (see hole for bulkhead). This sump will be purely for cheato.

The left hand sump will surface skim the main display and contain chambers for filter floss, purigen & chemi pure elite. Id also like a skimmer if I can find one small enough. A pump will be used to return water as per the other sump.

Just need to figure out my closed loop under the tank now. I think 3 x 0.5 inch returns with locline should be sufficient. 2 drains to supply the pump. Has anyone got any suggestions for a really quiet pump? I'm think about the hydor seltz pumps. Possibly a L30 & L35. I had a seltz pump on my old skimmer and it was fairly quiet. They get good reviews and also the flow can be turned down on the pump.

ShallowPanoramicTank8.jpg

Slots in right hand sump:

ShallowPanoramicTank9.jpg

View from top:

ShallowPanoramicTank10.jpg

Thanks

Chris

Chris, you need a cross brace in the center to keep the tank from bowing... Probably 4" wide will work, make sure to use at least a 1" radius on the corners of the top to distribute the stress evenly and to avoid cracking the acrylic.

-E

Chris, you need a cross brace in the center to keep the tank from bowing... Probably 4" wide will work, make sure to use at least a 1" radius on the corners of the top to distribute the stress evenly and to avoid cracking the acrylic.

-E

Are you sure I need a centre cross brace? The tank is only 8" tall & 8" deep. Did you find that your shelf tank started to bow?

Ordering the acrylic tomorrow :D

Added a centre brace and widened the top braces

ShallowPanoramicTank11.jpg

We cant get Weld-on in the uk so i'm trying to find an alternative.

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got started after months of planning and trying to source the right acrylic!!

So far i've machined the 4 side pieces. This is a piece of 10mm clear acrylic welded to a piece of 3mm blue acrylic:

CNC2.jpg

The cnc machine cutting the acrylic to size:

CNC1.jpg

Cutting the slots:

CNC3.jpg

Finished side 1:

CNC4.jpg

Finished side 2:

CNC5.jpg

Here is a quick photo to get an idea of how its going together:

CNC6.jpg

Chris