Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nanoty's 90g Mixed Reef

nanoty

Well after building a few tanks on the smaller side I decided to start looking for a larger one. I got a good deal on a 75g and planned on building it myself. Then a few days later I spotted a smoking deal on a 90g setup already running. For waaaaaaay less than it would have cost me to build the 75g I bought a full blown 90g.

I'll do my best to list everything:

Tank: 90g non-RR Oceanic

Stand/canopy: Stock Oceanic raised 8 inches/custom

Light: 4x54w T5s on Icecap ballast

Overflow: Custom triple overflows

Returns: Dual returns on a "Y"

Sump: Custom 20L made by previous owner

Skimmer: Custom built by LFS (Current-Octopus Recirculating Skimmer)

Return pump: Mag12

Heater: 250w Visitherm Stealth

Powerheads: 1x Tunze 6025 currently

Livestock:

LR: I would say at least 150lbs

LS: Very thin sandbed

Fish- True perc

YWG

Circus Goby

Bicolor blenny (dead, killed by overflow)

Inverts- Sally lightfoot crab

Tiger pistol (paired with YWG)

Some type of starfish

Some type of cucumber

Tons of hermits and snails

Coral- Candy canes

Branching hammer

Branching frogspawn

Various leathers

Various zoas

Various shrooms and rics

Some other crap

I bought all of this for $600, yeah, no ######. If I went to buy 150lbs of LR at my LFS it would have cost me almost $1k so I figured I shouldn't pass it up.

Well I woke up at 5:30 this morning so I could meet him at his house at 6:30 which is when we started breaking down the tank. We filled my crew cab truck and his crew cab toyota and made the trip to my house. About 4 hours later it was set back up and running.

There is still some things I need to take care of.

-It doesnt have an ATO

-There are holes in the return nozzles for an anti-siphon but they are too high and spray water. I need

new nozzles.

-The bulbs need to be replaced (one is out in the pics).

-There was a lot of huge bubbles from bubble algae in the tank. I removed what I could but I need to find

a solution.

-Im sure there's more but oh well.

Anyways, enough blah blah. Here are some pics after setting it up. Its cleared up since so I'll get some more pics after work. Thanks for looking.

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8153.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8156.jpg

IMG_8157.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg

IMG_8164.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

Relative to the 40 breeder.

IMG_8165.jpg

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn dude, you scored!!! I really like the stand and the canopy.

Hopefully my deal will pan out. I find out today, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks a lot guys. I am really excited. If I can get it to look half as good as he had it I'll be extremely happy.

I guess I can go ahead and tell but most of the corals and all of the fish from the 40 breeder will eventually be moved over and the 40 breeder will be my new nem/picasso tank. I'll be looking for some in the next month or so.

Since my tang bit it the other day I will also be adding either a purple or white cheek tang or both. I would also like a school of maybe a dozen chromis.

Looks great so far Ty! It' so big... :mellow:

...compared to the other tank :P

It looks huge to me :mellow: I'm sure I'll want to go bigger some day but for now I am totally satisfied.

Damn dude, you scored!!! I really like the stand and the canopy.

Hopefully my deal will pan out. I find out today, keep your fingers crossed for me.

I think so. I really like what he did, he was really good at woodwork and it came out nice. The color is different but I like it.

I hope you can get ahold of that tank. Sounds like a good setup for you.

coolz deal, some emerald crabs may help with the bubble algae. Get some TANGS and a friend for the true perc

I need a bag of emerald crabs lol. Also, I have a perc in the 40, I hope they pair in the nem in the 90g. I will also move my ORA misbars over also. I miss my tang :( I was so excited that he was going to get a bigger tank but he just couldn't make it.

very nice. I hope you love your 90 as much as i love mine!

Thanks, me too :)

oooo I want your starfish!! lookin' good! =)

Thanks D. I'll trade you the starfish for your..........anything.......

you want a mini carpet?? ;)

Well yeah. I don't think I'd ever see it again though.............hmmm. Maybe for the wife's pico though.

What kind of starfish is it anyways? There is one in the sump too.

I didn't realize it was your tang that died. I was under the impression that the guy selling the tank had one, and it was the one that died. Bummer man, sorry.

I didn't realize it was your tang that died. I was under the impression that the guy selling the tank had one, and it was the one that died. Bummer man, sorry.

Yeah, both. He had one too, a kole tang as a matter of fact but it looked horrible and died before I picked up the tank. We are 0 for 2 on kole tangs. Mine did great for about 8 months then suddenly started hiding and just died. His looked like death and wouldnt thicken up. I think it had an internal parasite personally.

Tank looks awesome man.. Can't wait to see that beast all cleared up and perrty..

Thanks a lot. I am uploading 20 or so more pics, its a lot clearer now. :)

Awesome. Looks like a perfect place for it too.

Thank you. I didn't want another tank in the living room but I can still see it from my chair :)

ooooooooohhh

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Thanks Jer.........unless that's sarcasm. In that case :P

Can't wait to see this tank all Nanoty'd out. :P

All crappy and covered in algae? :huh:

;)

jealous

:blush:

Thanks, your getting your tank soon right?

New pics.

IMG_8190.jpg

Tossed my other perc in there. They are "working it out" lol.

IMG_8170.jpg

This thing is easily 8-9 inches across.

IMG_8173.jpg

IMG_8174.jpg

ID? There is a pic of it closed up on the first page. It has a hard skeleton and is pretty brittle.

IMG_8175.jpg

More

IMG_8176.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8183.jpg

Anybody know what kind of goby?

IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_8187.jpg

IMG_8188.jpg

IMG_8186.jpg

FTSs

IMG_8181.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

Sorry for the dirty glass. I didnt wipe it down after the move.

On another note. Anyone want to help me figure out how to program this Coralife digital timer?

Archived