20K Radiums Installed, 1 turns RED!

Baby Snails

Vodka dosing: Clarity

Spawning Anemone at night

Burned MH bulbs, long bristle worm, TANK CRASH

Summary of the End

Current FTS:

4773244643_d1a76b7a12_b.jpg

Here we go again. So far I have had a 24 Aquapod and a 42 gallon hexagon tank. On Thanksgiving of 2008 I was able to get a steal of a deal on ebay for a 125 gallon tank and stand. It was a steal because it was local pick up only in a town called danvers IL. population 5. (not really but dirt roads and CR-xx signs everywhere.)

I'll start off by showing pictures of the stand rebuild process. I could not believe how many nails the stand was built with. 1 2x4 had 16 nails in it. 8 on each end. No glue or screws anywhere.

3080033445_f5d4a74a36.jpg?v=0

Here is my work station. I sat on a rolling stool and pulled upwards of 500 finishing nails out of the 2x4's.

3080862132_5bbf17d2e3.jpg?v=0

Crappy paneling held on with 1 billion nails. someone liked the nail gun.

3080026547_e0ac18718e.jpg?v=0

This is the stand after removing hundreds of nails.

3080034275_0b506fbfb5.jpg?v=0

The Rebuilt supports.

3080035677_6683702c67.jpg?v=0

Almost done here. If you are wondering why it is taking me so long, the reason is those boots come off easily. :)

3080039011_0272f62885.jpg?v=0

Finished and sealed and has 5 CFL puck lights. ( I plan on enclosing it latter.

3080878598_50e5d11e8b.jpg?v=0

Oh right and here is the tank. Since this was taken I have cleaned it. But this is the condition I picked it up in. Remember the location on where I picked it up from...

3080864718_c692c8532b.jpg?v=0

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any Idea on changing that oak trim on the tank? I was thinking of just ruffing it up with sand paper and get some rustoleum black spray paint.

AcroporaLokani
Crappy panneling held on with 1 billion nails. someone liked the nail gun.

Who doesn't like nail guns :mellow:

Looks like it will be a nice tank, Was it fresh water before you got it? I ask because all the gunk in the bottom reminds me of my old pacu tank.

Any Idea on changing that oak trim on the tank? I was thinking of just ruffing it up with sand paper and get some rustoleum black spray paint.

Acrylic paint could work, Acrylic paint bonds to plastic very well and it is near impossible to get off once its dried (I have an old plastic paint brush holder that I mixed some acrylic paint on and it has never even chipped off after twenty years).

They sell acrylic paint at any art store,The good paint can go upwards of $20 a tube or the regular stuff is $5 a tube.

Wow, almost identical to my 125. Crappy stand, oak trim, old dirty FW tank, bought for a steal at Thanksgiving.

Click the thread in my sig to see what I did to my stand/trim. And yes, the sandpaper/spray paint will work on the plastic.

Wow, almost identical to my 125. Crappy stand, oak trim, old dirty FW tank, bought for a steal at Thanksgiving.

Click the thread in my sig to see what I did to my stand/trim. And yes, the sandpaper/spray paint will work on the plastic.

As sweet deal. I will be checking out your tank then.

Did you ask the previous owner if the tank had ever seen copper?

And his response would be "why would I stick pennies in my tank"

No really even if it had I have scrubbed it, vinegar, and then regular water rinse then a RO/DI water rinse. I scrubbed the seals and even the trim, outside and inside, top bottom and underneath. Trust me nothing got by me.

Did you ask the previous owner if the tank had ever seen copper?

Copper won't soak into the glass. You only have to worry if you're reusing rocks or sand from a dosed tank.

Well tonight I managed to finally decide where the tank will go in the basement.

And its LEVEL!!! Unfortunately I alone cannot lift the 6'.

I'll have to have another party and require everyone who wants a free beer or 4 to help me lift the tank.

Well tonight I managed to finally decide where the tank will go in the basement.

And its LEVEL!!! Unfortunately I alone cannot lift the 6'.

I'll have to have another party and require everyone who wants a free beer or 4 to help me lift the tank.

Mmmm beer if only I lived in Illinois.

Cool build. Im looking forward to seeing some water in it. What are your plans? Corals/Lighting/Fish/Equipment?

Corals well that would be everything under the sun. Sounds like a broad selection I know. I'll have to limit what SPS I go. As some SPS won't like the lower flow my tank will have since I will be having a sand bed and can't crank my vortect to max. (or can I, Don't know yet)

Of course I would have other limitations also. Based on what fish, and other corals I have. I don't want chemical warfare going on. I'm a big fan of LPS though. I'm also a big fan of RESEARCH.

Fish wise it will be my clowns, firefish, and my Lawn Mower blenny.

Future fish are pending. I need to do more research. I'll have at least 1 Hippo tang. maybe a small school of 3 of them.

besides that I like that blue spotted jaw fish, and way latter on a mandarin.

For a centerpiece fish I was thinking an Emperor angel. Not sure have to do RESEARCH. I'm concentrating on getting my tank cycling by Christmas.

Lighting! Outer Orbit 72'' 834 total watts I'll address that in an additional post.

Sump will contain for now my aquaC Urchin, 250 watt stealth heater ( might have to get 2)

Sump size is still pending. I have just over 9-11 inches of floor space to fit a tank. Was thinking a 30 something ish long. I'll prolly custom make it out of acrylic.

sump will contain cheato on a reverse lighting cycle.

Look what I got for $300 and its fully operational. (German Shepard for reference)

3086073436_b43a7b3370_b.jpg

Unfortunately During shipping 2 of the 96W actinics bulbs broke.

3085236515_b883a80e20_b.jpg

The ebay bid I did for this said I would have to replace the ballasts. The seller said they had blown. So I had full intentions of replacing the ballasts. Well while I was cleaning the unit I noticed a wire lead disconnected. I just soldered it into place and shrink sealed it. Presto!!! MH lights work!!! Boy was I happy.

Because I have no idea how old these bulbs are I will be replacing all 7 bulbs.

For MH (3) I am going with that amazing 150w 14k Phoenix HQI.

For the (4) 96W square pin CFL's I have no idea. Anyone have suggestions?

Yes I did score good with that light. After firing the bulbs today I noticed just how worn out the 3 bulbs are. They each are the same original bulb. Each bulb now has its own spectrum of light. You can visually see the difference. One bulb even has a hint of red in the light.

If I had to guess the bulbs have at least 3.5 years burn time.

The Current CF lamps have good color. Plus you can choose between the 420nm and the 460nm spectrums. Awesome deal, those are great lights. I had a 24" one on my old 54 corner.

The Current CF lamps have good color. Plus you can choose between the 420nm and the 460nm spectrums. Awesome deal, those are great lights. I had a 24" one on my old 54 corner.

Um CF lamps I am not fimilar with. I'll have to do some researching. But since you posted. Whats the difference between the 40nm's and is one better than the other? I never did actinic lighting either. Guess I need to read up on that too.

still waiting for my photos to finish uploading. I'll have another post in a few minutes.

Continuing my build log:

I managed to hang the lights today with great care. 50 lbs is a lot to suspend. I cut some 2x4's and glued and screwed between the 2x10's in my basement. The tank is located where our ceiling is 12ft high. Luckily the Outer Orbit's mounting hardware came with a long enough cable.

Here is how I managed to suspend the lights. I had levels, laser level, and clamps. I temp clamped the light ends on the 2x4 so I could drill for the other suspension cable and permanently screw it into place. The hard part was finding the exact center so the light would stay in place when lifted off the top of the tank. Took a few tries.

3090638501_7320f3a1d0_b.jpg

This is where I decided to test fill the tank and make sure my stand would take the weight. Not even a single creak from the wood when I was filling the tank! sweet. Downside though. 5 GPM from the well. Means I sat on the couch next to the tank for 30 minutes. Watching it slowly ever so slightly fill up. Todesengel please take note of that, we don't want to break any more tanks.

3090640815_8998c5b977_b.jpg

Here is the tank full with lights on.

3091481206_b64b25c2cc_b.jpg

And this is what I watched form while the tank was filling.

3090642601_f56fcc4c30_b.jpg

None of these photos has the 4 other 96w PC lights on, nor are they installed. I am in the process of researching what ones to get.

Those boxes in the photos are going to go. That is my temporary storage spot for items I need to list on ebay. I wanted my tank to have a 360 view. With the tank in this location it is perfect. ( just got to remove the dart board.)

Live rock I hope to place an order by the end of these week. I had surmised that 60 lbs of base rock, and 60 lbs of uncured LR would be my starting point. Anyone think these numbers are too high or too low? I am only going by reference of my 30 lbs LR that I have in my 42 gallon hexagon tank. (also has a tank thread)

Cheers,

Archived