SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Decisions, decisions! I am compiling a parts list for the sump upgrade so i can order before we go to FL. However before i order parts i need to decide if i am going with Ultra flex PVC or standard braided vinyl tubing. I am kind of thinking the PVC will look nicer, any thoughts?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok a new video to almost start a new page!

I cleaned and painted the fish room, moved the ghost shrimp out of the 20L so it can be converted to a sump but still can't decide on what sort of plumbing to use.

I cleaned, organised and painted the block wall of the basement where my fish room is and my sump will be. It is a perfect place and space for the job and I am getting it ready. I also moved the rest of the excess ghost shrimp into the 10g feeder tank so that I could clean the 20L in preparation of converting it into a sump.

Wow your tanks looking amazing. So clean!

Thank you so much. Yeah, the flow is nice in this tank and that probably helps, at least with cyano. I am determined to keep all the surfaces clean after Adam last bout with sickness. No more algae build up on the back wall for me! I do still have lots of bubble algae though. LOL

I am spending the morning preparing the tank for my sister, the tank sitter. I did a 7 gallon WC and have probably 15-20 gallons more in case she needs it. I am making a little more RO/DI for spare ATO if needed. Food for the ponies and the feeder shrimp has been premeasured and packaged. Instructions are taped to the front of the tank. Battery back up is plugged in and installed in case of a power failure.

In other news, Adam seems to be back to full health. He is always lazier than Eve but that is his personality.

My blue clove polyps seem to be receding. It must be a nutritional issue because I have them in 2 different places and both are doing the same thing. I epoxied the green slimer because it was touching the kenya tree and that branch was bleaching. It does appear to be growing as the tips are lighter. It has definitely lost some of the vibrant green and has a brownish tinge to it but with it sharing a tank with seahorses, that is what I expected. The birds nest looks great with wonderful polyp extention. I can't tell if it is growing or not. In general the tank is doing well.

I often watch the BRS videos on reefing because they do seem to give good advise if only a bit biase toward their products. I just watched week 19, (dealing with T5 lighting) of 52 weeks of reefing. As a single component lighting BRS actually ranked it higher in overall performance over metal halide or LED which was very surprising to me. It's a worthwhile video if you are interested.

Great video and picture of the Pipe. Is he getting longer? :)

T5 is my favorite, I just wish it didn't produce so much heat. I will be back to all LED by next summer, and I think I can do well using multiple LED strip lights, but I'll miss T5's. Might have to get a retrofit kit so I can slap a couple of 60" bulbs to go along with the LED's, just for some ambient T5 color, without too much heat.

I've really been enjoying watching the BRS 160 series. Yes, there is that bias that you mention, but overall I think they are pretty balanced all things considered.

My dream light is to get one of Dave's hybrid T5/LEDs. I tell myself that is how I will light my eventual dream tank. For now though, LEDs are great for the nanos.

Not going to lie though -- back when I had a 90 gallon in the early 2000's, my metal halide/power compact lighting was very pretty albeit HOT.

Great video and picture of the Pipe. Is he getting longer? :)

T5 is my favorite, I just wish it didn't produce so much heat. I will be back to all LED by next summer, and I think I can do well using multiple LED strip lights, but I'll miss T5's. Might have to get a retrofit kit so I can slap a couple of 60" bulbs to go along with the LED's, just for some ambient T5 color, without too much heat.

Since I look at the pipefish everyday, I can't see growth but that does not mean he isn't growing longer.

I bought T5s because i was old school and understood bulbs better than LEDs. And their simplicity is one of their attributes but not the only one. According to BRS the light is diffused better with T5 lighting than any other method. Because of the superior diffusion BRS contend that corals not only grow better but will not as readily get dead areas in their centers from thick growth. They said T5 reflect better off the substrate also helping to get light into those center areas. Another thing they said was corals will grow into more pleasing uniform shapes when the light is diffused evenly rather than odd awkward shapes from sharp intense beams of light. All that diffusion does mean giving up the pretty shimmer though. The energy consumption of T5 compared to LEDs is much less than you would think. They are hotter but with efficient fans that is not as bad as you think either. Of course they did point out that a hybrid of multiple light components is the best option. Anyway I found it interesting.

I've really been enjoying watching the BRS 160 series. Yes, there is that bias that you mention, but overall I think they are pretty balanced all things considered.

My dream light is to get one of Dave's hybrid T5/LEDs. I tell myself that is how I will light my eventual dream tank. For now though, LEDs are great for the nanos.

Not going to lie though -- back when I had a 90 gallon in the early 2000's, my metal halide/power compact lighting was very pretty albeit HOT.

It's true, bulbs and metal halide gave such an attractive shimmery effect but there was the heat to contend with. I sometimes think about adding LEDs to my T5s to add some shimmer.

I could seriously watch your videos all day. I :wub: everything about this tank.

Thanks, you are too nice!

Thanks for the pic of Abe- awesome

I knew you would enjoy the pipefish pic!

Ok a new video to almost start a new page!

I cleaned and painted the fish room, moved the ghost shrimp out of the 20L so it can be converted to a sump but still can't decide on what sort of plumbing to use.

It looks like perfection :wub:. Such an amazing tank!

This tank is one of the inspirations for my new build :)

O wow, now I am speechless! (which does not happen very often, I might add). Seriously, I really appreciate that. I actually never consider my tank as inspirational so that is very nice to hear.

It looks like perfection :wub:. Such an amazing tank!

Thank you gena, everyone here on N-R are so encouraging.

O wow, now I am speechless! (which does not happen very often, I might add). Seriously, I really appreciate that. I actually never consider my tank as inspirational so that is very nice to hear.

Thank you gena, everyone here on N-R are so encouraging.

It's completely inspirational! I absolutely love it. Your mix of corals and algae and your scape is fabulous and just so relaxing to watch. And I love the pipefish and seahorses obviously :) But will not attempt those in my new tank ;)

It's completely inspirational! I absolutely love it. Your mix of corals and algae and your scape is fabulous and just so relaxing to watch. And I love the pipefish and seahorses obviously :) But will not attempt those in my new tank ;)

Thank you again stella. I am glad you love it and find it relaxing. Even without seahorse and pipefish, I am sure your new tank is going to be inspirational too, as soon as that pesky leak is fixed!

I use the ATI sunpower which brings in air from the top, blows down on the cool end of the bulb then the air runs the length of the bulb and out the side of the unit. When on it raises the basement temperature from 68 to 75 during the time all 6 bulbs are on. It's very efficient at removing heat from the bulbs so they last longer and burn brighter, and also quite good at heating up the area. :) I'm waiting patiently for real winter weather so I can enjoy how they heat up the basement, instead of dreading it.

20151105_190436_zpsumqlcdmj.jpg

Since Abraham, the pipefish would not stay in view while i was recording the video I am featuring him here...for his fans!

Absolutely Stunning! =)

It seems like I was away a long time. It was a productive, fun filled trip to help our friends and visit our kids but now life is back to normal, which is not a bad thing. My sister took good care of my seahorses and they look good. Adam delivered his babies yesterday, (when no one was here) and so they sadly went the way of the sea. I am pleased that Adam still looks fit and healthy. He is delicate anyway and then he complicated it further by being pregnant. He and Eve are scouring the tank for shrimp that I just tossed in the tank for them.

Today is tank catch up day from our vacation. I did a 7 gallon or so WC this morning. I have let that circulate and now I am ready to do another. The ponies were really hungry so I am going to feed them well today as well. Maybe even 3Xs. When the lights come on I need to see how bad the glass looks. It had a light film of green that I already took care of but I imagine it will need more attention when I can see it well.

Of course there is laundry and groceries and other chores to catch up on too.

I cleaned, organised and painted the block wall of the basement where my fish room is and my sump will be. It is a perfect place and space for the job and I am getting it ready. I also moved the rest of the excess ghost shrimp into the 10g feeder tank so that I could clean the 20L in preparation of converting it into a sump.

Btw I'm glad you didn't try making a 40b sump with the built in ATO reservoir. Not worth the cost/trouble, considering that it's in the basement, just use another container for the reservoir. Doesn't have to look pretty, unless you're super anal. :)

Have you decided on the plumbing material yet?

Btw I'm glad you didn't try making a 40b sump with the built in ATO reservoir. Not worth the cost/trouble, considering that it's in the basement, just use another container for the reservoir. Doesn't have to look pretty, unless you're super anal. :)

Have you decided on the plumbing material yet?

Yeah, I am using a 5.5 gallon tank for an ATO reservoir now and no reason not to keep using it. I will just build the sump stand big enough to hold the ATO reservoir too.

I am anal about maintenance but definitely not anal about what my sump looks like. You remember my current sump, ha ha. Hopefully this one will be a little prettier.

I am pretty sure that i am going with the Ultra-Flex PVC. It will be so simply plumbed that gluing won't be a big deal, (I keep telling myself that). Also I really like the idea that the plumbing will be black. I think I will stay with the loc line dual nozzles rather than the flow excellerator. I am a little nervous about moving parts and seahorse tails, (sometimes the 2 don't mix).

Archived