Innovative Marine Aquariums

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

Betty is in the tank now. She immediately headed into the rockwork and is hiding out for now. Barney is out and about and checking out everything. He's gone through Betty's den like 50 times now.

I temporarily put the light from the 10 gallon over the tank until the Maxspect light comes in next week. I also need to set up the ATO, which shouldn't take long.

The good news is that the tank is stunning. It's really stunning. Once all of the corals open up, it's going to be even better!

1FE2F5C9-orig_zps9b1fa90c.jpg

80665D26-orig_zps9f409d34.jpg

ACFE21F9-orig_zps8fa77bde.jpg

Oddly, my Tunze 9002 skimmer won't fit buy like 1/8"... Looks like I'll be picking up a new skimmer this afternoon.

• Like 3

The pvc is hidden wonderfully. If you didn't tell anyone it was there, they wouldn't know at quick glance. Your tank reminds me of my little Evolve 8 the way the rock is placed.

• Like 2

The pvc is hidden wonderfully. If you didn't tell anyone it was there, they wouldn't know at quick glance. Your tank reminds me of my little Evolve 8 the way the rock is placed.

yeah, it's kind of a diagonal slope, which makes sense where the tank will be sitting, it will maximize the visual appeal. I'm processing a video as I type this. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

I didn't even realize that there was any PVC in there until 1sttime pointed it out.

All the coral looks great especially that contrast between the red and green up front.

• Like 2

Wow, check this out! Barney (the damsel) had decided that he really liked the mantis den. He swam in and out of it like 50 times while Betty was hiding. She came out and found the den and started setting up shop. Oh boy was Barney upset! He actually gave her the business! Brave fish! And good Betty for not killing him.

• Like 7

Boy, he's huffing and puffing! My yellow damsel hasn't moved much from the corner of the tank since I got her today. We'll see how it does w/ Gertie. I need to find a name for those fish. I wanna watch their personalities first I suppose.

The wiring is organized.

D653C7BA-orig_zps056b7c21.jpg

RLK and ATO controllers mounted.

74F00D16-orig_zps5c3c8f05.jpg

MP10 controller mounted on the other side.

C297B414-orig_zpsc64651a4.jpg

And everything looks awesome.

21494340-orig_zps6e873a29.jpg

A0B27233-orig_zpsfbd6244b.jpg

The Maxspect Razor Nano light should be in next week. In the meantime I have the T5 fixture from the 10 gallon on there.

• Like 5

It took all weekend to break down two tanks and combine them into one bigger, better tank. The results are AWESOME!

Here's a quick video tour..

• Like 4

I have a few more corals to move over from the 25 gallon tank and I'm going to get some different colors of plating monti to add to the tank.

• Like 1

That damsel brings a new meaning to damsel aggression.

I just offered him up for free on the local forum. I came home after work and he has buried half of the corals in sand that he brings from the back of the tank by the mouthful and deposits all over the acropora and other corals. He's made quite a mess today. I'm assuming he's building his own burrow since he didn't get the mantis burrow to himself.

• Like 1

Well, this isn't really a surprise. It looks like Betty is getting ready to molt. Just like she did when I transferred her old tank to my place. I kinda suspected she'd go into molt when switching tanks.

The Entrance to the left side of the den is completely blocked off.

5617FB64-orig_zps124aae83.jpg

And she's in the process of blocking off the right side as I type this.

D8858C19-orig_zps505b689a.jpg

Let's hope all goes well. It should. The water quality in this new tank is absolutely perfect.

• Like 1

I don't blame her for shutting the door, if I was going to drop my skins I'd cover up too. She just doesn't want you to see til she comes out in all her glory!!! How "perfect" does water quality need to be for these guys? (since I'm so new at this). I have nitrates at 2.5 right now and going to do a little water change in a couple days.

Tiki, I am so stealing this structural design for my mixing station stand. (RODI barrel over salt water barrel, 20G each.) :)

Working on the stand today, got the basic frame built.

6C9DD110-orig_zps1b7db984.jpg

Scaled slightly: 2X8s for the base / lower shelf support, 2X4s everywhere else, 21" square OD, doubled 1/2" plywood for the shelves, yada yada.

• Like 1

Wow, check this out! Barney (the damsel) had decided that he really liked the mantis den. He swam in and out of it like 50 times while Betty was hiding. She came out and found the den and started setting up shop. Oh boy was Barney upset! He actually gave her the business! Brave fish! And good Betty for not killing him.

Wow that is a Damsel that has guts and is daring for sure, especially backing up into the burrow ...

Good Betty indeed for not smashing him and then dragging him in its burrow.

It took all weekend to break down two tanks and combine them into one bigger, better tank. The results are AWESOME!

Here's a quick video tour..

Great video ...

Looks like she molted sometime in the last 24 hours. I can see the uropods and part of the telson at one end of the den and she's peeked out a couple times. I haven't seen her enough to see what her raptorial appendages look like now. Hopefully the one is fully developed now and the other is starting to re-grow.

30A52953-orig_zps1a3ec0bd.jpg

• Like 2