ReefCleaners.org

MarquiseO's "I love Anthias and SPS" Tank (New Anthias Post#120)

ReviloM

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those shots of the anthias are great! I hope they didn't set you back too much.

Thanks. nah not really. the female ventralis were on sale. 2 died. LA sent me a male replacement and refunded the rest. The bicolor was $50 at my LFS which is cheaper than online w/shipping. There were two bicolors a 5in one as well but she decided to jump ship one night. I woke up to a giant fish on my floor. She was $50 as well; online would have been about $90

Thanks. nah not really. the female ventralis were on sale. 2 died. LA sent me a male replacement and refunded the rest. The bicolor was $50 at my LFS which is cheaper than online w/shipping. There were two bicolors a 5in one as well but she decided to jump ship one night. I woke up to a giant fish on my floor. She was $50 as well; online would have been about $90

That sucks bro. Do you have a lid?

That sucks bro. Do you have a lid?

nah gotta make one. First time to have a fish jump in a long time; 2 total. I have had wrasse that have never jumped. And i have a rimless tank. That defeats the purpose having this style tank.

That's kinda what I started out thinking - but I've lost half a dozen different fish due to jumping, from an anthias to a dwarf angel to even a powder brown tang.

nah gotta make one. First time to have a fish jump in a long time; 2 total. I have had wrasse that have never jumped. And i have a rimless tank. That defeats the purpose having this style tank.

Ya, I am a little bummed that I have to have a cover on my rimless tank too. Gotta do whatcha gotta do though.

Sorry for the images malfunction to all that wanted to view my build. An error on my ipad while on flickr caused me to privatize my photos. I will fix that soon.

New updates:

*I am conducting my own experiment. I will run my lights on 10,000K for 2 weeks then on 18,000k for 2 weeks. What I am trying to achieve is maximum growth then color alteration. We will also monitor the repair rate of the corals damaged from my move and the effects of using 10,000 K lighting vs 18,000K lighting with my current feeding regiment. I know some of you "smart guys" out there are saying this has been done and you know the outcome and so on, but the thing is this is part of the adventure and reefing experience and I want to document this fun experiment with everyone new and old. So follow my build if you want to ride a long.

*I am still looking for my pair of Red Saddled Anthias aka Yellow Spotted Anthias and Sunburst Anthias. I am thinking about removing the bicolor and replace that with two Sunset Anthias. Oh, yeah about the Sunburst, my local fish store can get smalls at $90 each which is outrages. He won't negotiate with me on the pricing.

*Final update - I am thinking about adding GFO to my tank. I currently use biopellets only and my phosphates are under control but with the wanting to increase the livestock and use of the increase growth experiment, I am thinking that the biopellets won't be able to keep up.

I ran my 60g cube with both biopellets and GFO in a heavily stocked tank and my SPS growth/color was amazing. I would make sure you add GFO slowly as a little can go a long way (though you probably know this already)

*I am conducting my own experiment. I will run my lights on 10,000K for 2 weeks then on 18,000k for 2 weeks. What I am trying to achieve is maximum growth then color alteration. I will do an upload of each coral tonight then I will take images every (3) days of each coral. We will also monitor the repair rate of the corals damaged from my move and the effects of using 10,000 K lighting vs 18,000K lighting with my current feeding regiment. I know some of you "smart guys" out there are saying this has been done and you know the outcome and so on, but the thing is this is part of the adventure and reefing experience and I won't to document this fun experiment with everyone new and old. So follow my build if you want to ride a long.

Uh, since you won't actually be changing the LEDs that you're using (only the intensity that they run at), you will see zero difference in growth since you'll actually be lowering the intensity. If you want better growth, raise the intensity.

I ran my 60g cube with both biopellets and GFO in a heavily stocked tank and my SPS growth/color was amazing. I would make sure you add GFO slowly as a little can go a long way (though you probably know this already)

Yeah I have heard it before but it is good to be reminded. Thanks!

Uh, since you won't actually be changing the LEDs that you're using (only the intensity that they run at), you will see zero difference in growth since you'll actually be lowering the intensity. If you want better growth, raise the intensity.

. Good point. I will see what will be done. One thing though that intrigued me about this is that when I left for a week vacation to SC, I left my radions on 10,000K lighting and 3 of my sps increased in size with the same intensity as before(45%). From that I also noticed the color faded a little but recovered when in reverted back to the original settings. I'll post and image of that when I get home later.

Good point. I will see what will be done. One thing though that intrigued me about this is that when I left for a week vacation to SC, I left my radions on 10,000K lighting and 3 of my sps increased in size with the same intensity as before(45%). From that I also noticed the color faded a little but recovered when in reverted back to the original settings. I'll post and image of that when I get home later.

And that growth halted after you reverted back to the higher intensity settings?

Doesn't make any sense unless the presets adjust for intensity.

Yeah it doesn't but that's what happened.

Rainbow Loripes

First received around May-July (I cant remember):

8906408609_c93e016fd0_c.jpg
August Before I left for a Week:
9189670288_a0e7aa8268_c.jpg
August After 1 Week:
9739450590_6b9f9e4785_c.jpg
Today Just now:
Note: Taken with iPhone; isn't bleached. No polyps because I was messing around in the tank and disturbed it.
9907801596_ef83e93c72_c.jpg

Looks great! Great pics too!

Thanks!

Updates:

*Tank Equipment: I downsized my sump. I needed extra room in my stand. I bought the NextReef NRS-20. Here is why I chose so small; My last sump had a refugium area which I never used. That in turn took up too much space. The NRS20 has about the same actual space used by my equipment. With that being said, I also purchased the MR1 and MR1 Shorty Reactors. I will run biopellets in the MR1 reactor( i know there is a SMR1 but I can easily convert the MR1 into a bioreactor) and run GFO and Carbon in the MR1 Shorty.

*Fish update: The bicolor is harassing my female ventralis a lot. I am in the process of trying to catch the bicolor. On another note, I just purchased (2) fathead sunburst anthias and (2) Sunset Anthias from Liveaquaria. They should ship tomorrow and arrive Thursday. That leaves the Red Saddles Anthias to wait for.

The contents of the bags (some a little bit camera shy):

(2) Sunburst (2) Sunset

9959655126_944f1c3d4a_c.jpg
9959658626_7fb1775961_c.jpg
9959638584_16e2fb5c7a_c.jpg
9959638844_6429d1bc0e_c.jpg
Female Randall (Photo-bomber in most of the other pics I took)
9959607555_c8aa6b2811_c.jpg

Very pretty fish! Really like them are they pretty big jumpers?

Thanks! Nope, not at all. When I scooped them from the bag, they didn't behave like normal fish would. I also stuck my hand in the tank near them and they just moved to the side a little.

Beautiful! What is your feeding regimen?

Thanks! At least 3 times a day of a mixture of fish eggs, cyclops, mysis shrimp, and coral chili starting from the time I wake up till when I arrive home from work.

Archived