Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MarquiseO's "I love Anthias and SPS" Tank (New Anthias Post#120)

ReviloM

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunburst are more solitary, no? And ventralis are supposed to be crazy hard to keep, but it seems that you know what your are doing. Is this tank cooler water too?

sunburst are good in shoals and alone. You just have to provide overhangs for them. They are peaceful so will get along with ventralis which are also peaceful. Ventralis are hard to keep because most hobbyist stress the fish too much trying to figure out how to take care of it. I would just feed the same regiment I feed to my current anthias, Fish ROE, BRS Reef Chili, and Mysid shrimp, and they will be fine. I keep my radions on 45% at 12 inch elevation. The temperature of my tank ranges from 76-78 degrees.

• 2 months later...

My new additions:

Female Ventralis

9739454936_5518f322bb_c.jpg
Male Ventralis
9737304615_8faf17c92e_c.jpg
Female Bicolor Anthia - aka "The Bully"
9739452916_d40d1229da_c.jpg
I will upload the images of the other Anthias but "The Bully" keeps them on lock down. I may have to put the Bicolor in the sump for a while to re-establish the pecking order.

My new additions:

Female Ventralis

9739454936_725440b35a_c.jpg
Male Ventralis

9737304615_67ca138e65_c.jpg
Female Bicolor Anthia - aka "The Bully"
9739452916_b6d83db9d0_c.jpg
I will upload the images of the other Anthias but "The Bully" keeps them on lock down. I may have to put the Bicolor in the sump for a while to re-establish the pecking order.

eh

Eh

EH

EH

EH

Oh

OH

OH

SHAZAAM! Peter-Griffin-Football-head-icon_zpsac2b

Where can i place the acans? Any ideas are much appreciated.

9737308741_857dc57bd2_c.jpg
Tank Update:
  • During my move, I lost 2 sps, Oregan tort and Blue Tenius.
  • Some of the sps started rtn'ing during the move but have stopped. Also, some started to bleach and brown while I left them in the plastic tub during the move over the course of a few days.
  • I decided to add other sps instead of an all deepwater sps; limited choices plus not many differ.
  • I switched from Aquavitro Salinity Salt to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. I like it and so does my tank.
  • I am planning to stop dosing and just stick to water changes using Red Sea Coral Pro, until the need for supplements/additives is truly needed. I decided to do this based on the high amount of parameters in the salt and to cut costs on additives/supplements.
  • Ordered 3 female Ventralis. Acclimated thoroughly. Only 1 survived; i think its due to me putting her in my display. Called LA and was sent a male and rest refunded. Male was temperature acclimated and placed in display. Male is doing fine. It seems additional long acclimation is even more stressful which leaves to poor survival rate.

either, I'd either unnaturally perfectly line the rocks all the way with them and similar corals or do little groupings with single colonies/frags close by

either, I'd either unnaturally perfectly line the rocks all the way with them and similar corals or do little groupings with single colonies/frags close by

I may just move that brown staghorn(it's regaining color) and put them there cluster style.

Update: Male Ventralis has started eating.

• I am planning to stop dosing and just stick to water changes using Red Sea Coral Pro. I decided to do this based on the high amount of parameters in the salt and to cut costs on additives/supplements.

In an SPS dominant tank? A pipe dream that will fade far quicker than you can imagine.

In an SPS dominant tank? A pipe dream that will fade far quicker than you can imagine.

Last I checked, not all sps grow quickly;therefore, the need for additives at this point in time on my tank is not necessary. I guess I can add "until the need" to that statement to make you feel better.

I may just move that brown staghorn(it's regaining color) and put them there cluster style.

Update: Male Ventralis has started eating.

That's a good idea

Glad that the Ventralis is eating :)

Last I checked, not all sps grow quickly;therefore, the need for additives at this point in time on my tank is not necessary. I guess I can add "until the need" to that statement to make you feel better.

That's why I said it won't last long. Even with the SPS you have in the tank now, small water changes may only just keep up - and constant water changes that are necessary are very annoying. :P

That's why I said it won't last long. Even with the SPS you have in the tank now, small water changes may only just keep up - and constant water changes that are necessary are very annoying. :P

I give it a good 8 months before i have to bump up the amount of water being changed. Over that time span, the cost of supplements can equate to about 2 big buckets of Coral Pro. If I start to slack, I probably will make an auto water changing system. Thanks for the food for thought though.

I give it a good 8 months before i have to bump up the amount of water being changed. Over that time span, the cost of supplements can equate to about 2 big buckets of Coral Pro. If I start to slack, I probably will make an auto water changing system. Thanks for the food for though though.

I'm with Ben. Keep us updated though, interested to see how this works out.

It looks stunning but is the tank really that dark in person? Or is it just the editing?

Only at that specific light setting. I took the pic when the lights were dialing down.

I'm with Ben. Keep us updated though, interested to see how this works out.

Will do.

I like the deep sea feel to this

Thanks. That was the original intention to go all deepwater but I am limited on the various colorations of deepwater sps; they pretty much all look the same. I plan to add a pair of Red Saddled Anthias, remove the lyretail, and add some LE SPS.

llama roadkill
32x24x20

Nice. Was hoping it would be smaller or the same length as my 40B because it looked like the Anthias are comfy. Maybe I'll get one...:)

Nice. Was hoping it would be smaller or the same length as my 40B because it looked like the Anthias are comfy. Maybe I'll get one...:)

You should. I figure that I can hold about (13) 3-1/2 anthias total with my current feeding and filtration.

Archived