Cultivated Reef

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say bring in the hardware!! Make it look like a mad scientists lab.

No way! Keep it simple and focus on the beauty of the reef. But getting a controller is a solid investment.

I'm betting he bought dosing pumps but I think they are totally unneeded on a 10g. Especially since the tank is hardly stocked. Stick with the water changes.

Jordon, you should also revisit the QT tank. While I don't think it is fully necessarily, it was something you felt strongly about and now all of a sudden your throwing that out the door. I still don't think you fully understood why you lost all those corals.

If a $1000 controller for a 10 gallon tank is in your budget, go for the Ecotech!

Just be very careful as it's easy to turn an awesome tank into a hardware nightmare.

I sense sarcasm... Whatever controller I get, it would have to last me to my next upgrade as well. It won't just be for the 10g :)

I say bring in the hardware!! Make it look like a mad scientists lab.

It's going to be tough to keep everything tidy!

Okay just so everyone knows what I got:

Ecotech Battery Backup

Ecotech VorTech mp10w ES

Ecotech VorTech RF Module (to make my existing mp10 ES to the wireless model)

ELOS Osmocontroller Digital

And also few goodies to tie everything together! I'll list those less exciting things later.

Now I underdrive the MP10's as I don't like them much higher than 50% due to the noise. I rather have two (one on the back, and one on the left side) I was looking into the Jaebo wp25, but the small footprint of the mp10 just can't be beat. Since I will be going on vacation for nearly two weeks this summer, I wanted to make sure I have an ATO up to the challenge. That, and i'm sick and tired of doing it by hand :lol:

Matt, you mentioned a doser, which you think is unneeded for a tank this size, but that is something i'm looking at in the future. I will be doing regular testing of Cal, Mg, and Alk for a few months prior to adding any sort of dosing seyup to see if it is something I need or not. I have seen my Alk drop quite a bit even without stocking, so we will see... Stability is key, and i'm I am keeping SPS heavily, it becomes even more important.

I may revisit the QT tank later, as I have all the hardware for that, but for now I will be doing a dip and then adding to the DT.

All in-all, besides the wetside of the mp10, and the probe and tubing for the Osmocontroller, there won't be anything to cause an eyesore! Wiring is another story :D

I sense sarcasm... Whatever controller I get, it would have to last me to my next upgrade as well. It won't just be for the 10g :)

No, I was being serious. Anything Ecotech = expensive, so I'm assuming their basic controller would run about $500 and about $1k for the full thing, which would have 8 outlets, interface with their lights, and wireless with their vortechs. Apex is very affordable, but it gets expensive too when you add on things like VDM, and WXM modules.

I would have never guessed a second MP10 but it's your money after all. If money was no object I'd have a pair in each tank too. I think I've seen somebody with a 4g that had an MP10.

Don't take this the wrong way at all Jordon, but I'd love to see some awesome SPS in your tank. Have you gotten anything since your issue? Remember, your talking to a guy that once thought throwing hardware on a tank fixed everything. The reality it is only showed how much I really didn't understand.

If your having Alk swings with nothing in your tank then you need to understand why. What do you suppose is consuming it? Is it precipitating? Where is it going then?

Congrats on the ATO!

No, I was being serious. Anything Ecotech = expensive, so I'm assuming their basic controller would run about $500 and about $1k for the full thing, which would have 8 outlets, interface with their lights, and wireless with their vortechs. Apex is very affordable, but it gets expensive too when you add on things like VDM, and WXM modules.

Very true. After all the goodies for any controller, you're talking $$$ I just want to see if there are any other options on the horizon, and if they will offer anything new and exciting.

I would have never guessed a second MP10 but it's your money after all. If money was no object I'd have a pair in each tank too. I think I've seen somebody with a 4g that had an MP10.

I really wanted to have the wireless functionality to have a truly random flow with the Tidal Swell mode, and that's only acheivable with two. I also run mine at a lower speed to keep them silent. I would run just the one at 75% or even higher, but then it gets whiney loud. I want to make sure there are no deadspots :lol:

Don't take this the wrong way at all Jordon, but I'd love to see some awesome SPS in your tank. Have you gotten anything since your issue? Remember, your talking to a guy that once thought throwing hardware on a tank fixed everything. The reality it is only showed how much I really didn't understand.

Me as well. I have been looking at my LFS every week and they haven't received much for shipments that interest me. The place I previously ordered is officially opening up shop again soon, and I may try them again. I haven't gotten any corals since the SPS issues, but have gotten a TSB, Fire Shrimp and a few hermits. I have three other livestock items (non corals) on order, but not sure how long they will take to come in. I am looking to take your advice and get one healthy frag just to 'test the waters'

If your having Alk swings with nothing in your tank then you need to understand why. What do you suppose is consuming it? Is it precipitating? Where is it going then?

My Alk seemed to be consistant once I added my SPS believe it or not. Around 8dkh or so. It's been a bit since I tested last, but also ordered the Reef Foundation test kit package from Red Sea to compare to the Hanna Checkers. I'll always be testing, so nothing will be wasted there. I don't know if it was inconsistancy with the test or error on my part, but it looks like the issue has stopped.

Congrats on the ATO!

Thanks. That and the Battery was actually what excited me most! I had a power outage last week (the day I got my livestock!) and it made me realize that I need some sort of backup for a situation like that. The ATO was a must as well :D

Nice!! I am also considering a battery backup for my tank in the future. Ive been through two power outages (neither with the pico) and its not fun.

Red_Blenny

Nice!! I am also considering a battery backup for my tank in the future. Ive been through two power outages (neither with the pico) and its not fun.

Get it! Us Socal reefers gotta deal with the blackouts frequently and it'd suck if the tank dies because a random bad driver runs into a powerline, heatwaves, or Socal Edison/DWP just shuts it off for the giggles.

The only not fun part is filling the generator up with gas.

I prefer higher Alk. :) Better growth of stony corals and better to be on the high side so you have buffer if it drops.

I'm still researching to see what the concensus is on which params to strive for and why; thanks for your input. :)

Luckily this was only out for about 15 minutes, but in the summer we get a lot of Lightning storms, and it isn't unusual for the power to go out in the middle of the night. I would hate to wake up to find a crashed tank!

Get it! Us Socal reefers gotta deal with the blackouts frequently and it'd suck if the tank dies because a random bad driver runs into a powerline, heatwaves, or Socal Edison/DWP just shuts it off for the giggles.

I agree. I think it's one of the smartest purchases you could make to ensure the well-being on the tank inhabitants :D

The only not fun part is filling the generator up with gas.

No room for a generator on my balcony :lol:

Congrats on the ecotech stuff!!! Imo, the battery backup is a must for every tank.

Thanks :D I really like their products, specifically their wavemakers. Hopefully it's something that I will never have to use lol.

Red Sea Pro mixes to 12.3 - 12.7 dKH @ 35ppt. It's on their label and I've verified it with my bucket. That being said, weekly water changes should sustain high enough levels until you are heavily stocked. If I remember correctly, I didn't have to dose until I had 20+ corals in my Aquapod. Only a handful SPS, but many are stony, a pair of clams, etc. Too low Alk and you should see it in your snails.

I am fortunate enough that I don't have power issues even with snow in the winter and nice thunderstorms in the summer.

I am almost as excited for your new toys as mine! lol

I seen how excited you were and got jealous :lol: Seriously want some pics soon ZRO!

Red Sea Pro mixes to 12.3 - 12.7 dKH @ 35ppt. It's on their label and I've verified it with my bucket. That being said, weekly water changes should sustain high enough levels until you are heavily stocked. If I remember correctly, I didn't have to dose until I had 20+ corals in my Aquapod. Only a handful SPS, but many are stony, a pair of clams, etc. Too low Alk and you should see it in your snails.

I am fortunate enough that I don't have power issues even with snow in the winter and nice thunderstorms in the summer.

I'm not too worried when I first start stocking the tank, but if/when I get to higher volumes of SPS, I have a pretty strong feeling values will be tough to mantain without dosing; And just like with top offs, manually dosing gets old fast!

No one is immune to a power outage. It doesn't happen all the time here either. But even once a year is too much of a risk not to have a back-up of some sort.

What's your backup plan if no one is home and your power goes out?

I seen how excited you were and got jealous :lol: Seriously want some pics soon ZRO!

I'm not too worried when I first start stocking the tank, but if/when I get to higher volumes of SPS, I have a pretty strong feeling values will be tough to mantain without dosing; And just like with top offs, manually dosing gets old fast!

No one is immune to a power outage. It doesn't happen all the time here either. But even once a year is too much of a risk not to have a back-up of some sort.

You use a wisk to aerate the water and blow through the tube into the air stone to keep the skimmer going! Duh!

You use a wisk to aerate the water and blow through the tube into the air stone to keep the skimmer going! Duh!

Exactly! I always blow my fish. ;)

In my area it's more of an exception than the norm. I've lost power once for 10 hours or so in the 8+ years or so that I've owned this house. Other then that, it's the occasional flicker that I'm not concerned with. I do have APC backups on all my electronics but nothing on my tanks.

I was ready to buy a battery operated air pump, but figured may as well go for the gusto! :P It's a big deal when you get the same prices in Canada as the US and free shipping, so I had to jump on that!

Well power outages here during stormy season (July/August) happen usually once or twice a year. Other than that it never really happens unless there's an extreme Ice Storm or Blizzard. Power grid in Edmonton is very solid, and we have very fast response times as well.

Blenny has colored up considerably as well. No more zebra marks.

Congrats on the equipment! Your gonna love the ELOS Osmocontroller. I delt with their NYC (though based in NJ) Store for an issue at one point (that was my fault) and they were top notch. It has ran perfect since initial setup, and if you need any help feel free to ask me.

I also picked up a TSB tonight since I've only had the one clown in my tank for awhile now. He is shy, but will be fun to snap some pictures of for sure. They are very neat looking.

You better get a bunch of shots of how everything mounts up and cable routing and what not, I'm sure it's as meticulous as everything else.

What are you thinking for an ATO reservoir?

Congrats on the equipment! Your gonna love the ELOS Osmocontroller. I delt with their NYC (though based in NJ) Store for an issue at one point (that was my fault) and they were top notch. It has ran perfect since initial setup, and if you need any help feel free to ask me.

I also picked up a TSB tonight since I've only had the one clown in my tank for awhile now. He is shy, but will be fun to snap some pictures of for sure. They are very neat looking.

You better get a bunch of shots of how everything mounts up and cable routing and what not, I'm sure it's as meticulous as everything else.

What are you thinking for an ATO reservoir?

Thanks! I appreciate all your help when I was asking a while back for pics of your setup. You delivered! I may hit you up again if I run into any issues.

Congrats on the TSB! Ya mine is still shy, but is getting better daily. He actually leaves his home for food now! Doesn't swim out much in the open water though, but i'm sure it will come with time. They are characters!

I can't wait until the tube extenders and close-up kit arrives! I'll be taking lots of pics and posting them here, and of course new equipment shots.

As for my ATO reservoir, I have a taller tupperware container that will hold about 7 gallons on RO/DI water. It isn't pretty, and takes nearly my whole bottom cabinet up in my desk. I got that mainly for when I go on vacation. I would like a sexier option, but haven't found anything reasonably prices, or large enough. Either too small, too expensive, or ugly :P I figured for now, cheap and ugly will have to do! I really love what Christine did here and may go for something similar. I'm not a DIY type guy to make anything look good, but may source it out to Chris @ PicO or see if I can get anything made locally.

but may source it out to Chris @ PicO or see if I can get anything made locally.

I've been trying to figure out what to use for my ATO reservoir. I definitely cant DIY. This is a great idea :)

Congrats on all the cool new equipment!!!!

I have been thinking about this for ATO: Mr. Aqua 7.5 Cube

Right now I just have a "homer" bucket from home depot.

Haha, I think that's a great idea! Even if it's 'hidden' away, I still like to open my cabinet and like what I see :P

I've been trying to figure out what to use for my ATO reservoir. I definitely cant DIY. This is a great idea :)

Congrats on all the cool new equipment!!!!

I just have to so some measurements and get a quote :D Chris is really great and works with you every step of the way. The more details instructions/drawings you can give him the better!

Thanks :) I'm really excited to try the wireless modes of the MP10(s) and of course not have to top off twice a day by hand!

This hobby will suck you in deep faster than you can imagine Jordon, just use me as an example, nothing wrong with equipment if it serves you a vital function. Some people look at my 20 gallon system and cringe but everything I have serves a vital function for me so I can have more time to focus on other reef related things, like testing and general monitoring, not to mention enjoying my tank and building more tanks, haha. Just be careful not to rely on automation 100%, all automation needs close monitoring regularly.

Am I to understand you will have two MP10's in your 10 gallon?

Where did you order your stuff from?

Christine

Archived