SaltCritters.com

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

Polarcollision

He isn't eating any of the food I fed this morning, but I see him picking at the rocks - as he is classified as herbivore.

TSB! Love him! My little guy prefers marine S pellets to algae or any other herbivore foods I offered. Go figure...?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just fed him. I did a few drops of Oyster Feast, 1 drop Zeo Amino Acid Concentrate for Fish, and a mix of FM Base Energy & FM Spirulina pellets. He didn't seem to mind any one of them, in fact he is eating a lot more today then when I first got him!

I also purchased FM Wakame+ which is like nori, but he could care less for that. I may try crushing it up to see if he'll take it then :P Even though they are technically herbivores, I think they are all definitely omnivores.

Polarcollision

I just fed him. I did a few drops of Oyster Feast, 1 drop Zeo Amino Acid Concentrate for Fish, and a mix of FM Base Energy & FM Spirulina pellets. He didn't seem to mind any one of them, in fact he is eating a lot more today then when I first got him!

I also purchased FM Wakame+ which is like nori, but he could care less for that. I may try crushing it up to see if he'll take it then :P Even though they are technically herbivores, I think they are all definitely omnivores.

I'll see if I can find any of that food for him to try. He won't eat mysis, brine, oyster eggs, cyclopeze, nori, or the algae wafers. So I'm glad he's eating the pellets, but it seems a little like only eating at McDonalds. I was hoping he'd keep a little patch of algae under control, but nope. :-) He's also cozied up to the clownfish. They swim together all the time, almost touching. Really cute to watch.

I'll see if I can find any of that food for him to try. He won't eat mysis, brine, oyster eggs, cyclopeze, nori, or the algae wafers. So I'm glad he's eating the pellets, but it seems a little like only eating at McDonalds. I was hoping he'd keep a little patch of algae under control, but nope. :-) He's also cozied up to the clownfish. They swim together all the time, almost touching. Really cute to watch.

It's by Fauna Marin. I haven't seen really any reviews besides ones in german, but figured I would give it a go. They seem to really put a lot of R&D into their products, which I like. The pellets swell up to what I would think are fairly large when soaked, but the TSB has no issues chowing them down - and he's for sure just a baby (only about 3/4"). My cleaner shrimp goes mad for it as well!

That's awesome about the clown and blenny :) I hope if/when I get another addition they will get along as well.

I'm pretty lucky. My TSB will pretty much eat anything I put in there with the exception of mysis.Errrbody loves them some cyclopeeze in my tank.

Polarcollision

It's by Fauna Marin. I haven't seen really any reviews besides ones in german, but figured I would give it a go. They seem to really put a lot of R&D into their products, which I like. The pellets swell up to what I would think are fairly large when soaked, but the TSB has no issues chowing them down - and he's for sure just a baby (only about 3/4"). My cleaner shrimp goes mad for it as well!

That's awesome about the clown and blenny :) I hope if/when I get another addition they will get along as well.

He's just a TINY little thing! Awwww!

I see things are moving right along in your tank!!!! Sorry about your SPS shipment!!!! But....Congrats on your TSB :wub: They have the cutest little faces :happy:

He's just a TINY little thing! Awwww!

I was a little worried to get him so small, but TSB are so fricking hard to come by; they always get snatched up the same day. On the bright side, it gives him lots of time to get used to me :D

What about good old mysis?

Nope. Not yet anyways. I'm sticking to pellets and Reef Nutrition foods for now. I have a lot of food to go through before I buy more :P

I see things are moving right along in your tank!!!! Sorry about your SPS shipment!!!! But....Congrats on your TSB :wub: They have the cutest little faces :happy:

Thanks Gena :) I think they are damn adorable! Trying to move on from that previous disaster, what would reefing be without 'em?

I am looking to provide everyone with better photo's, so I ordered this today :D

32zjgy0.png

Polarcollision

I was a little worried to get him so small, but TSB are so fricking hard to come by; they always get snatched up the same day. On the bright side, it gives him lots of time to get used to me :D

I am looking to provide everyone with better photo's, so I ordered this today :D

32zjgy0.png

It was the same here - no one had them and the best LFS couldn't get any to special order. For months. I was so happy when another little shop happened to have 4 (!) of them. No idea how they scored that - It seemed like they had every last TSB in the US stashed away in thier little shop! He was very shy at first, with the zebra markings every time I walked near the tank. Now he's settling in a little ledge next to the acan garden right up front and of course swimming with the clown. Your little TSB is invited to the TSB/clown wedding later this year. :-)

What lens are you shooting with? I picked up a 200mm bellows a while back to attach a microscope objective to the camera for extreme macros. Got a cheap version so see how well it worked out before dropping $$ on the right equipment. It also accepts the 100mm macro, so the total zoom is rediculous. There's a bit of diffraction distortion like you'd get shooting at F22, but the adjustable zoom trade-off is worth it for $40. See if it is something you'd like to try. Here's a movie made through the setup: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/316682-nuvo-8g/?p=4325323

Deckoz2302

J atleast your being a good sport about the losses and understand that losses are part of reefing. If you were down in the states I'd send some love your way

It was the same here - no one had them and the best LFS couldn't get any to special order. For months. I was so happy when another little shop happened to have 4 (!) of them. No idea how they scored that - It seemed like they had every last TSB in the US stashed away in thier little shop! He was very shy at first, with the zebra markings every time I walked near the tank. Now he's settling in a little ledge next to the acan garden right up front and of course swimming with the clown. Your little TSB is invited to the TSB/clown wedding later this year. :-)

What lens are you shooting with? I picked up a 200mm bellows a while back to attach a microscope objective to the camera for extreme macros. Got a cheap version so see how well it worked out before dropping $$ on the right equipment. It also accepts the 100mm macro, so the total zoom is rediculous. There's a bit of diffraction distortion like you'd get shooting at F22, but the adjustable zoom trade-off is worth it for $40. See if it is something you'd like to try. Here's a movie made through the setup: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/316682-nuvo-8g/?p=4325323

I can see why they're never available, they are so damn awesome :P My guy is still kind of shy, but at least exploring daily more and more.

For now I have my kit lens 18-55, and a 50mm Prime 1.8 I purchased the Close-Up kit for the 50mm, as it has the best f/stop to get some nice clean shots - plus who doesn't love Bokeh!? Although I do plan to get a Macro Lens in the future, for now I think this is a good alternative. Yes, there are cheaper versions of what I purchased, but I love the Hoya filters I have, and have heard nothing but great thing regarding quality.

That video is epic! I can't wait to do a video when I have some worthy pieces in there :D

J atleast your being a good sport about the losses and understand that losses are part of reefing. If you were down in the states I'd send some love your way

Thanks Deck. Ugh how I wish I lived close to you! For now, I'll take your internet love :lol:

Polarcollision

I can see why they're never available, they are so damn awesome :P My guy is still kind of shy, but at least exploring daily more and more.

For now I have my kit lens 18-55, and a 50mm Prime 1.8 I purchased the Close-Up kit for the 50mm, as it has the best f/stop to get some nice clean shots - plus who doesn't love Bokeh!? Although I do plan to get a Macro Lens in the future, for now I think this is a good alternative. Yes, there are cheaper versions of what I purchased, but I love the Hoya filters I have, and have heard nothing but great thing regarding quality.

That video is epic! I can't wait to do a video when I have some worthy pieces in there :D

Thanks Deck. Ugh how I wish I lived close to you! For now, I'll take your internet love :lol:

Oh - true story! Bokeh makes all the difference in macro shots. That 50mm is one of the sharpest lenses that aren't L-glass. I had it for a while, but it broke when I dropped it. Because the aperture opens so wide at 1.8 you can cut out shapes, like stars or fish, to place over the front of the lens. That will change the shape of the bokeh: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatagloriousfeeling/4201711545/

Glad you like the video! The chalice in that video that fills the frame is barely larger than an inch. Hoya makes a great product - no criticism there. I was just suggesting another fun thing you can do with extreme zoom. Looking forward to pics of your TSB. Does he have a name?

I love me some TSB! I WILL have a TSB when I get my big tank set up...

They don't need a big tank, just set up another 10 in the meantime to get your TSB fix :lol:

Oh - true story! Bokeh makes all the difference in macro shots. That 50mm is one of the sharpest lenses that aren't L-glass. I had it for a while, but it broke when I dropped it. Because the aperture opens so wide at 1.8 you can cut out shapes, like stars or fish, to place over the front of the lens. That will change the shape of the bokeh: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatagloriousfeeling/4201711545/

Glad you like the video! The chalice in that video that fills the frame is barely larger than an inch. Hoya makes a great product - no criticism there. I was just suggesting another fun thing you can do with extreme zoom. Looking forward to pics of your TSB. Does he have a name?

It was either Canon or Hoya, and Hoya was cheaper :lol: oh don't worry, I didn't take it as criticism anyways, but I know I could go cheaper like 'eBay cheap' and some people probably think i'm nuts for not doing so :P

I can't wait till it comes in for pics. The TSB is just so damn small, that even with full zoom right now, and cropping, just doesn't do him justice. That, and he's a tough guy to snap a photo of! Oh his name is Lenny. At least I assume it's a 'he'

So my Shrimp molted last night. :D I figured he would be hiding for the next 24-48 hours, but he's out and about on his rock as usual. I'm just leaving the molt in there for now, and removing it tomorrow. I figure the hermits haven't really 'found' it yet :P

Speaking of hermits, one is missing! So I purchased 3 last week, and two are accounted for, but one has disappeared - shell and all! Not in the overflows, and I can't see him anywhere. Either he's hiding very well, or went into the twilight zone!

Changed filter floss and carbon today, as params all all within reason. I may not get to a water change until mid-late next week, as this weekend is going to be a busy one for me. My B&H Photo order was just shipped today, so hopefully I can get it next week (but you never know in Canada...)

So my Shrimp molted last night. :D I figured he would be hiding for the next 24-48 hours, but he's out and about on his rock as usual. I'm just leaving the molt in there for now, and removing it tomorrow. I figure the hermits haven't really 'found' it yet :P

Speaking of hermits, one is missing! So I purchased 3 last week, and two are accounted for, but one has disappeared - shell and all! Not in the overflows, and I can't see him anywhere. Either he's hiding very well, or went into the twilight zone!

Changed filter floss and carbon today, as params all all within reason. I may not get to a water change until mid-late next week, as this weekend is going to be a busy one for me. My B&H Photo order was just shipped today, so hopefully I can get it next week (but you never know in Canada...)

Don't remove the molt. It's good food for the system. Even the shrimp himself will probably munch on it. Plus it will add to your bacterial load. Hermits can be good hiders if they're on the smaller side. Heck, even the emerald I recently picked up hides some. He has decided that it's cool to go in the hole where on of my flower anemones live and scavengages from underneath it. One eve I noticed the anenome moving and then saw the small claws sticking out and back in again. Kind of funny to watch and the anenome doesn't seem to care at all.

Sooo I went a little crazy Equipment shopping, and have a lot of goodies coming in the next few weeks :D I'll let everyone know what I got as my orders come in :)

Sooo I went a little crazy Equipment shopping, and have a lot of goodies coming in the next few weeks :D I'll let everyone know what I got as my orders come in :)

Looks like it's time for a bigger tank!

Equipment shopping?! What else can you cram into that thing haha. Reef controller maybe??

That's what I was thinking but Jordon made it very clear he was keeping the tank simplistic.

That's what I was thinking but Jordon made it very clear he was keeping the tank simplistic.

Haha, things change.

Looks like it's time for a bigger tank!

Ugh, I want to upgrade so badly, but have no room, and still love the PicO :D

Equipment shopping?! What else can you cram into that thing haha. Reef controller maybe??

Well i'm doing my best to keep everything hidden, but you'll have to wait and see!

Well that was the goal... Like Tristan said, things change :lol: I will tell you it is not a controller. I would probably be all over one, as they are so helpful, but I know Ecotech just filed a trademark for a possible controller, and Vertex has their Cerebra (which may be vapourware) But by the fall, if nothing new and exciting is out, I may be looking at the Apex. Solid piece of work right there.

Well that was the goal... Like Tristan said, things change :lol: I will tell you it is not a controller. I would probably be all over one, as they are so helpful, but I know Ecotech just filed a trademark for a possible controller, and Vertex has their Cerebra (which may be vapourware) But by the fall, if nothing new and exciting is out, I may be looking at the Apex. Solid piece of work right there.

If a $1000 controller for a 10 gallon tank is in your budget, go for the Ecotech!

Just be very careful as it's easy to turn an awesome tank into a hardware nightmare.

Archived