ReefCleaners.org

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

Not sure if the fixture has fans in the 250 but I know the ballast do. Marine Depot is the only place I could find current replacement fans for the fixture. They are pretty easy to replace. The fixture doesn't really need fans since the ballast are external. But current built in a over heat shut off in the fixture. So you either have to by pass it or replace the fans if one goes out. If you need a link or any questions shoot me a pm. You think that light will have to be hung since it is a 250? Awful close to the water. My 150 MH is 18 inches from the sandbed and it melts some palys unless I shade them.

Forgot to say it looks awesome. Glad to see your pops involved. I sure miss mine.

Both the fixture and ballasts have fans and they're both pretty loud, but since its in my basement I don't see it as a terrible problem. More of just an annoying hum.

And the light will definitely be hung. Just haven't gotten around to it. The fixture will be hung 16-20 from the water. 250w at 6" would be ridiculous. Thanks for the help though :)

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

Hung the lights!

I found the old hanging kit, i never knew what it was for, but it worked perfectly!

IMG_2089.jpg

Tank's almost full, its dripping down the dursos. should take about 5-6 more hours to fill the sump.

TheKleinReef

Roger this is ####in gnarly lol. Its like watching my build come together. ..but it's yours lol

ahah i was just actually lurking on your thread last night. its crazy how similar they are. mine just needs to be spiced up a bit with some toys (skimmer, doser/reactor, controller). i can't wait to start growing some stuff. but it finally hit the lip of the overflow and the 10.5" depth is awesome. i'm never going deeper that 16" again. hahah

thanks for stopping by again!

ahah i was just actually lurking on your thread last night. its crazy how similar they are. mine just needs to be spiced up a bit with some toys (skimmer, doser/reactor, controller). i can't wait to start growing some stuff. but it finally hit the lip of the overflow and the 10.5" depth is awesome. i'm never going deeper that 16" again. hahah

thanks for stopping by again!

That's exactly why my 160 cube is 16 high haha, to the elbows!

You'll get there man, its already so freaking nice, im jealous that you DIY your stand still. I just didn't have the resources to do so this time around

Ps do ypu want a TLF reactor? I have a spare? Send me a PM with your address, pay shipping and its your bro

TheKleinReef

That's exactly why my 160 cube is 16 high haha, to the elbows! You'll get there man, its already so freaking nice, im jealous that you DIY your stand still. I just didn't have the resources to do so this time around Ps do ypu want a TLF reactor? I have a spare? Send me a PM with your address, pay shipping and its your bro

i got lucky with the stand, i had a bunch of wood we didn't need when we took apart an old train table. if i didn't have that i probably wouldn't have gone the DIy route. but it was fun building it. knowing that i build almost everything from scratch makes the tank that much cooler :)

as for a reactor,i meant a calcium reactor (; but your offer is tempting.... i'll see how the flow is, i might use the line that runs from the pump back to the sump as flow for a media chamber.

i got lucky with the stand, i had a bunch of wood we didn't need when we took apart an old train table. if i didn't have that i probably wouldn't have gone the DIy route. but it was fun building it. knowing that i build almost everything from scratch makes the tank that much cooler :)

as for a reactor,i meant a calcium reactor (; but your offer is tempting.... i'll see how the flow is, i might use the line that runs from the pump back to the sump as flow for a media chamber.

Yea man let me know I run about 700ml of carbon in mine with 160gph

eddiecorrea

Great looking setup. Well thought out and executed.

I'm dying to setup a Solana I have here. But we are looking to move soon so I cant. :(

TheKleinReef

Great looking setup. Well thought out and executed.

I'm dying to setup a Solana I have here. But we are looking to move soon so I cant. :(

thanks eddie! i was actually just at your thread, hoping to see a solana! :P but i'll make sure to follow that build thread as well.

TheKleinReef

FILLED, PLUMBED, AND RUNNING!

IMG_2099.jpg

Overflow Box cover:

IMG_2098.jpg

Full set up:

IMG_2102.jpg

Plumbing with no leaks!

IMG_2100.jpg

went to the LFS today and saw this little guy, thought he was cool so i snapped a pic with my iphone

IMG_2096.jpg

and this cool coris wrasse:

IMG_2095.jpg

Next Steps:

• cycle
  • bulbs (on backorder for 5 weeks!!!! ugh)
  • skimmer
  • doser
  • ATO
  • corals!
  • woot!

LOUD. LOUD. LOUD.

Is it a pan world pump? I did read this in a review maybe it will help.

Comments: alot of people have said this pump is noisey, if you put the pump flat on the base of your cabinet then it is, but all you have to do is put some thick rubber foam under it and you can't hear anything. pump move a ton of water and is very versitle.
TheKleinReef

Is it a pan world pump? I did read this in a review maybe it will help.

Comments: alot of people have said this pump is noisey, if you put the pump flat on the base of your cabinet then it is, but all you have to do is put some thick rubber foam under it and you can't hear anything. pump move a ton of water and is very versitle.

hmmm. i have it on some thin foam. but i can't really boost it up anymore or i'd have to boost the whole sump up with it.... maybe if i get sick of it i can try that.

TheKleinReef

What are you using for biofiltration in the system?

Lots of Live rock in the sump should do it i imagine. With such a low bioload I don't expect to need a huge amount of liverock.

Very nice set up! I was thinking of using that same size tank to build a lagoon.

I love the shallow tank look. Ill probably never go over 16" depth ever again. If I could go back I'd make it 6x3x1 just because I love shallow wide tanks.

TheKleinReef

i've been monitoring the bow of the tank since i filed it, and today i noticed that there's a 3/16th of an inch bow in the 48" long panels. is this something i should worry about?

Archived