ReefCleaners.org

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Built a stand similar to yours, thanks for all the pics. It's 48 x 30 and gonna set a 100 gallon RO/DI tank on it. Stand is beefier than the commercial built one that my 180 sits on. Don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Built a stand similar to yours, thanks for all the pics. It's 48 x 30 and gonna set a 100 gallon RO/DI tank on it. Stand is beefier than the commercial built one that my 180 sits on. Don't think you've got anything to worry about.

that's good to hear! i'd love to keep that front open.

Woah, that's pretty cool. Is it possible to....what's the word....grow, I guess, hammer coral?

yeah, but that won't be the type of coral i have in this tank. i'm planning on SPS, acans, chalice and maybe zoanthids

jedimasterben

Woah, that's pretty cool. Is it possible to....what's the word....grow, I guess, hammer coral?

No, hammer corals don't grow. All the hammers we have now are all that will be available. :(

Kidding! :)

Check out UWWmatt's threads. This is his first tank, the picture is from September of 2008: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/159800-uwwmatts-14g-biocube/

Now, this is the same hammer coral in the video in this link, as of October 30th, 2012. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/247444-uwwmatts-25g-cadlight/?p=4068305

Check out UWWmatt's threads. This is his first tank, the picture is from September of 2008: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/159800-uwwmatts-14g-biocube/

Now, this is the same hammer coral in the video in this link, as of October 30th, 2012. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/247444-uwwmatts-25g-cadlight/?p=4068305

wow. that thing is massive. i do have a purple tip hammer. maybe i can get mine to grow that big!

I guess it's hammertime. hah

but seriously....

Anybody have an input on what salt i should get? I hear so many mixed reviews. My LFS has Oceanic and Aquavitro Salinity. I was leaning towards salinity because i know some people that use it with high recommendations... what's your take?

I guess it's hammertime. hah

but seriously....

Anybody have an input on what salt i should get? I hear so many mixed reviews. My LFS has Oceanic and Aquavitro Salinity. I was leaning towards salinity because i know some people that use it with high recommendations... what's your take?

The great salt debate, lol..

Every salt thread I've ever read is a bunch of folks statiing how much they love their current salt and how bad their previous salt was........which means to me that it probably doesn't matter much. :happy:

Having said that, I use Red Sea Pro cause it does have a little extra Ca and Alk which can stick to the sides of the bucket and the mixing pump sometimes. It has worked well for me and I know exactely how much salt to put in a 5 gal bucket, so I'm not changing now. :lol:

The great salt debate, lol..

Every salt thread I've ever read is a bunch of folks statiing how much they love their current salt and how bad their previous salt was........which means to me that it probably doesn't matter much. :happy:

Having said that, I use Red Sea Pro cause it does have a little extra Ca and Alk which can stick to the sides of the bucket and the mixing pump sometimes. It has worked well for me and I know exactely how much salt to put in a 5 gal bucket, so I'm not changing now. :lol:

if it ain't broke dun fix it! haha thanks i'll look into red sea pro.

jedimasterben

Get whatever salt is cheapest, which is Instant Ocean. Don't bother with RC. You will be dosing no matter what. Buying a more expensive salt will literally do nothing for you other than cost you more money.

Get whatever salt is cheapest, which is Instant Ocean. Don't bother with RC. You will be dosing no matter what. Buying a more expensive salt will literally do nothing for you other than cost you more money.

Well that's good to hear i guess. haha

I would tend to agree with this.

When I was thinking of building an acrylic tank I found this excellent YouTube video series. You may have already run across it, but if not it is a must see. This guy really knows his stuff and has tons of excellent tips and trade secrets including welding acrylic flawlessly.

Here is the play list.

Good luck!

When I was thinking of building an acrylic tank I found this excellent YouTube video series. You may have already run across it, but if not it is a must see. This guy really knows his stuff and has tons of excellent tips and trade secrets including welding acrylic flawlessly. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDgQFjAA&url=http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL40AC1075FCEA10CB&ei=V1srUe2PAoqB2gWIsYH4Bw&usg=AFQjCNFgbbNaEmtguKBQFAny2ree_S_Fww&bvm=bv.42768644,d.b2I]Here is the play list.[/url] Good luck!

Of course I've seen it. It's the series that made me choose acrylic over glass. Haha thanks though.

On a side note though:

Bulbs ordered. Egg crate ordered. Rodi ordered. Weld on 4 ordered.

It was an expensive but productive weekend.

Exactly this ^^^ in my area the cheapest salt is Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea. $32/150 gallons.

edit: Although i did get a smoking deal on Seachem Salinity...sooo...lol. Once i run out of that though, ill be switching back to crystal sea.

TheKleinReef

everything came in this week. so this weekend the goal is to set up the RO/DI, change the bulbs out, hang the fixture, cement the tank, and water test the tank. I AM STOKED.

everything came in this week. so this weekend the goal is to set up the RO/DI, change the bulbs out, hang the fixture, cement the tank, and water test the tank. I AM STOKED.

Awesome!!! Wait you live in IL? Where at?

Archived