ReefCleaners.org

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUMP IT IS!

I need something cost effective and large enough to hold my skimmer and reactors.

i was thinking those rubbermaid troughs... how easy would that be to work with?

I have read a ton about sumps and have yet to see any one use a rubbermaid trough. You may be onto something here!

Are they sturdy enough to hold the weight of water without bowing at the sides. I suppose if you got heavy duty plastic sides (do they even make those?) they may not bow out. (?)

Most folks wait for the $1/gallon tank sales at Petco. Some even use an old tank they have laying around or get at garage sales. So your idea to use a Rubbermaid trough may be a frugal way to go if it holds up to the water pressure.

krackerjacksna

I see a lot of people use those Rubbermaid ones, or even a koi pond type pool . A local aquaculture around me said metal hailers grow corals, LEDs sell corals, so maybe run the 2x250 with 10k lamps and get some led supplement .

• Like 1

I see a lot of people use those Rubbermaid ones, or even a koi pond type pool . A local aquaculture around me said metal hailers grow corals, LEDs sell corals, so maybe run the 2x250 with 10k lamps and get some led supplement .

that's what i was thinking for the sump, something heavy duty plastic instead of a glass aquarium. most likely it'll be a simple operating sump with no baffles. as for the leds... i have 2 LED strips that are 425nm. i'm not too sure how to mount them though since the halides will be up so high...

I've heard a lot of different opinions on what the best spectrum is for coral growth. it makes sense that 10K is the best, but i've also read that 12K is just as good but adds a bit of color to the coral. is that legit?

I have read a ton about sumps and have yet to see any one use a rubbermaid trough. You may be onto something here!

Are they sturdy enough to hold the weight of water without bowing at the sides. I suppose if you got heavy duty plastic sides (do they even make those?) they may not bow out. (?)

oh they're strong enough. most farmers use them year round outside. so they're definitely durable. but in the end. they're petty expensive i found a 50G for $75. i think it'd be cheaper to get a 40B from petco. but i'd rather not because its glass. i guess i'll have to keep my eye out for a cheap rubbermaid trough.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

For growth comparison between halides: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/12/aafeature1

That being said, get a couple of 120w LED fixtures from ReefBreeders and you'll grow stuff better than those 250w halides without all the heat or power use.

EDIT: And you can even have them customize the fixtures for optimum growth - emphasis on violet, royal blue, and cool blue LEDs.

• Like 1

For growth comparison between halides: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/12/aafeature1

That being said, get a couple of 120w LED fixtures from ReefBreeders and you'll grow stuff better than those 250w halides without all the heat or power use.

EDIT: And you can even have them customize the fixtures for optimum growth - emphasis on violet, royal blue, and cool blue LEDs.

I'm using them cause i have them and i don't want to spend any more money than i absolutely have to. thanks for the input though ( i know you're the LED guru :P)

I would do a cross brace on the top middle to avoid deflection. But it really doesnt need it. not necessary from the bottom up.

Sump id do rubbermaid man. Or the small ponds from lowes/hd lol

• Like 1

I would do a cross brace on the top middle to avoid deflection. But it really doesnt need it. not necessary from the bottom up.

Sump id do rubbermaid man. Or the small ponds from lowes/hd lol

awesome. thanks. i may just add the extra brace to make me feel a bit safer. i'm not going to risk it (:

now let's see if i can find a cheap goldfish pond. i like this idea better than the rubbermaid

Sry there $62.99. they were on sale when I was looking into them

that makes sense. i found those 60g bins on amazon, they're only $47 too. i like that they're square. maybe i could add a return baffle of some sort, that way i can have a chamber for an ato.

i think i found the perfect sump! what's your take?

http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Plastic-Heavy-Rectangular-60-Gallon/dp/B0074HR8RK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_2'>http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Plastic-Heavy-Rectangular-60-Gallon/dp/B0074HR8RK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_2

i can't find them online for under $70. maybe i'll try the local tractor supply store. they might be there

Thats ####in awesome!

• Like 1

Alright. I have decided on a high flow sump. i may add on a s supplement mp40 later, but as of right now that's not the main focus. Now i am debating on what type of dosing system i should use.

Here are my options:

1. Manual Dosing
  2. Dosing Pump on a timer
  3. Dosing Pump with a Controller
  4. Kalwasser
  5. Calcium Reactor

I do like dosing powders like sea-chem, which i use on the 29 and see good results. but i'm not to keen on paying $12 a bottle when everything is set up. And once the tank gets stocked i'd end up buying A LOT of bottles. My 29 goes through the 500grams in 2 months. Thats $144 a year to manually dose just calcium and alkalinity.

The next option is the timers that dose 1mL per minute. These i would like to avoid, because for some reason i do not trust those litle pumps. i don't know why, and haven't read anything bad about them. They just seem to simple to do a complex job. But please prove me wrong if you think this is the best option.

Third option: GHL standalone, Vertex doser, bubble magnus type dosing system that controls how much i dose per day. these i really like but their price + the upkeep cost of dosing material makes them the most expensive option in the long run. I'd like to buy a system once and have it be worth it.

fourth: kalwasser. from what i read this is for moderate-medium demand tanks, and would probably not work on a 60 SPS packed frag tank by itself.

fifth: calcium reactor. these have always caught my eye. you buy it once and all you need is to replenish the media twice a year for $50. sounds a bit more cost effective in the long run, but much more pain to set up and maintain. (plus i have a co2 tank, solenoid, and pH controller)

What do you guys recommend?

Archived