Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

Well the bulbs came in..... wow yellow. i'm at school and my mom sent a less than quality pic, so when i go home this weekend (assuming my track meet schedule doesn't change) i will get some pics. i'm definitely going to have to get some actinic in the tank. i may just use the ai nano on one section on the tank running just royals to keep a section of the tank for color. any thoughts on this?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

Pretty decent progress...

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/54EDD0EE-A017-4E1A-A355-DAAEE2491342-30951-000008133BBE58AF.jpg.html'>54EDD0EE-A017-4E1A-A355-DAAEE2491342-309

I moved my tomini tang over, i euro-braced the tank and reduced the bow by 95%, and the lights are in!

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/6F36DC29-906E-441E-9DF0-1F2C24FC29C5-30951-00000813329A5557.jpg.html'>6F36DC29-906E-441E-9DF0-1F2C24FC29C5-309

i'm gonna use the AI nano's royal blues to supplement at least some of the tank, just to hide the nasty yellow look.

what do you guys think?

jedimasterben

Wow, are those 10k? You will get horizontal growth from those bulbs, as more red light tells corals they are growing too tall.

TheKleinReef

Wow, are those 10k? You will get horizontal growth from those bulbs, as more red light tells corals they are growing too tall.

Yep 10k. What should I do then? Switch to 12k?

jedimasterben

14-20, or actinic/royal blue supplementation.

Basically, 10k will have about the same growth, but will be bushier and lower.

TheKleinReef

14-20, or actinic/royal blue supplementation.

Basically, 10k will have about the same growth, but will be bushier and lower.

I knew I shoulda just grabbed the 14ks from my LFS. Ah well might upgrade the lights anyway.

jedimasterben

If youre doing anything, just sell what you have and grab a couple of the chinese LED fixtures from ebay. They'll grow coral great, it'll just look like garbage until they get under real lights.

Why do people keep talking disparagingly about "chinese" LED fixtures? Are the good ones not made in China like everything else is?

TheKleinReef

If youre doing anything, just sell what you have and grab a couple of the chinese LED fixtures from ebay. They'll grow coral great, it'll just look like garbage until they get under real lights.

since when are halides garbage? 90% of tanks use them with success.

Lol

What wattage are the halides you have?....meant for the op

Since when are corals grown under Chinese fixtures halides?

jedimasterben

Why do people keep talking disparagingly about "chinese" LED fixtures? Are the good ones not made in China like everything else is?

They use fake LEDs with godawful efficiency and even worse color rendition.

The Chinese LED fixtures will make corals look like garbage. The 10K halides will make them all brown, though.

i don't think we/re talking about the same thing....

this. :lol:

The Chinese LED fixtures will make corals look like garbage.

I was waiting for you to clarify your post for him, didn't want to put words in your mouth.

They use fake LEDs with godawful efficiency and even worse color rendition.

Who is "they"? China? That's awfully broad.

jedimasterben

Who is "they"? China? That's awfully broad.

Makes sense, considering that 'brand' LEDs are not made there, and they would then need to import them, increasing cost considerably. Find me one of those cheap Chinese units that uses genuine Bridgelux, Philips, or Cree LEDs.

jedimasterben

The only one made in Asia are Bridgelux, but they are not made in China, where those fixtures almost all originate.

TheKleinReef

Why all the hate? Roger it looks good, smart move bracing it.

i'm not sure what's happening exactly. but i'm using the AI Nano's royal blues and blue to balance out the 10k. it's sorta working. this is just a temporary solution. I might get greedy and get some radion pros.... :P that'd make me happy.

You're saying Bridgelux, Philips, and Cree don't have their stuff made in Chinese factories?

The only one made in Asia are Bridgelux, but they are not made in China, where those fixtures almost all originate.

relax guys! i'm using halides.....

jedimasterben

I'm relaxed. I'm always shocked when anything gets made outside of Guangdong :lol:

:lol:

i'm not sure what's happening exactly. but i'm using the AI Nano's royal blues and blue to balance out the 10k. it's sorta working. this is just a temporary solution. I might get greedy and get some radion pros.... :P that'd make me happy.

Since this is just for growout, I'm serious about the Chinese LED stuff. Corals will have garbage for color, but they will grow like beasts.

relax guys! i'm using halides.....

Did you see my fixture? Im sure yous like something like that?

TheKleinReef

Did you see my fixture? Im sure yous like something like that?

i did see that beast... insane.

maybe one day.

:lol:

Since this is just for growout, I'm serious about the Chinese LED stuff. Corals will have garbage for color, but they will grow like beasts.

color is meh for me right now. this tank is not even near completely set up, i might upgrade the lights cause i don't think the 10k bulbs are really 10k the look more like 6500...

Archived