Cultivated Reef

PArIsHIlToN New Nano Tank

parishilton

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always have a hard time keeping zoos in the long run. Seems like they have different time frames in each tank.

8 months for some people. Could be a year or two sometimes. Is there anyone who can keep them for more than 2 years?

I have not seen zoanthids tank that could last for more than 2 years.

For me they started to grow real nice at first. After they were all packed, some started to die. Did they start chemical warfare?

Would it be better if we put only one kind in? As we've have seen in colony, there is only one kind covering a big rock.

Hey paris

I believe your on the right track by not placing too closely with other zoas as they will compete for space and light with other colonies. I never mounted my zoa colonies to one rock for that reason. I simply placed them close to one another on the sandbed on frag plugs or small rocks and this prevented the more aggressive growing colonies from overrunning the garden. I also believe lower alkalinity(7-7.5dkh) and keeping your tank well fed is the key to long term success with zoas. IME they didnt do well when the tank was totally stripped of nutrients (via zeovit or carbon dosing). HTH

Love the pics BTW

Hey paris what kind of bulb are you using on your halide?

Hey paris

I believe your on the right track by not placing too closely with other zoas as they will compete for space and light with other colonies. I never mounted my zoa colonies to one rock for that reason. I simply placed them close to one another on the sandbed on frag plugs or small rocks and this prevented the more aggressive growing colonies from overrunning the garden. I also believe lower alkalinity(7-7.5dkh) and keeping your tank well fed is the key to long term success with zoas. IME they didnt do well when the tank was totally stripped of nutrients (via zeovit or carbon dosing). HTH

Love the pics BTW

Hey paris what kind of bulb are you using on your halide?

Thank you for your opinion Rehype.

I am using Radium 20k.

BTW, sorry for your lost. I totally understand how you feel. Hope you set up the new tank soon and share all your great pics. I'm always a fan of your pics.

Mr. Microscope

Wow! How'd I miss this new tank!? Very nice Paris!

For zoas, I've only been in the reefing game for about three years. So, I don't know too much about long term success, but I've found vitamin C dosing has plumped up some of my zoas. I use Sodium Ascorbate (buffered vitamin C) about 1/8 tsp 2x/day. You can do more to help boost immunity of stressed fish/corals, but lower levels work fine for general health and hearty appearance.

Also, it's looking like you have some very nice SPS growing there meaning your nutrient levels are probably very low. This may also be contributing to the downfall of the zoa.

• 4 weeks later...

Your tank is stunning! You're not having any clarity problems with no form of mechanical filtration?

What you mean? Water Clarity? No I dont have any problems.

The only filtration Im using in this tank is skimmer. No filter sock, no GAC and no PO4 remover. Just water change.

Seems like it wants to become ricordea

DSC_0332_zps43cffcaf.jpg

Archived