Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How fast will a Crocea reach 5 cm?

Hoobahans

I just ordered a super-colored Crocea clam from liveaquariua.com, as they were haveing a sale on the small (1-2 inch) clams. I have 222 watts, 150 of which is metal halide, over my NC24, but I know that they need phyto when they are small. So my question is this; does anyone know how long, assuming good conditions, it will take before my clam is big enough to survive primarily off light? Thanks all.

5cm is 2 inches

A very good point. In that case, how long would it take a one inch clam to reach the size that it could live off light primarily?

Depends on tons of different things...Keep your calcium up and params perfect and you should see pretty good growth

with perfect params, with a focus on perfet Ca (i've had 3 small clams so far, and gone through this) i'd say you're looking at like 3-6 months minimum of daily (initially) to semi-daily phyto feedings. :) it's labor intensive, don't get me wrong. to be safe 4" is the minimum to live off of light.

it could go faster, or slower, just depends on the clam.

best way to feed is to use a hang on specimen container, (like they use at LFS prior to bagging) scoop up the clam, hang the container on the inside of the tank so the temp stays consistent, dose some phyto, watch him pump away, then when the water is clear, replace clam in the tank. you may not want to re-add the container water, it'll have residual phyto in it, and might dirty the water, depending on your setup.

with perfect params, with a focus on perfet Ca (i've had 3 small clams so far, and gone through this) i'd say you're looking at like 3-6 months minimum of daily (initially) to semi-daily phyto feedings. :) it's labor intensive, don't get me wrong. to be safe 4" is the minimum to live off of light.

it could go faster, or slower, just depends on the clam.

best way to feed is to use a hang on specimen container, (like they use at LFS prior to bagging) scoop up the clam, hang the container on the inside of the tank so the temp stays consistent, dose some phyto, watch him pump away, then when the water is clear, replace clam in the tank. you may not want to re-add the container water, it'll have residual phyto in it, and might dirty the water, depending on your setup.

I say you are looking at closer to a year, maybe a year and a half to go from 2" to 3 1/2"

Bob

Archived