Pod Your Reef

Setup of 2.5 AGA

RyanCD

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it does make me feel a little bit better. Well I guess the positive is if I cut it in half I will have my first piece to trade with!

Yes it is the sand from Petco. I actually was worried about it when I got it (it was the cheapest sand) because of dust storms but I haven't had any problems with it. IMO, it is fine in a pico but I wouldn't put it in my 30 gal.

I have Aiptasia :o ! I have counted three of them so far! What should I do? Get Joe's Juice? Any reef safe suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

These are the clearest pictures I could get of one of them:

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5851.jpg

ouch! Joes juice has worked for me. The key is to cut the flow for at least an hour so that the substance can "bond" to the rock over the anemone. Many people say it doesnt work but they didnt let it settle long enough. The other route is to get a peppermint shrimp as they are notorious aiptasia eaters.

I added a ton of rock to my pico too. It looks so much better now. Pics are in my thread in the link of my sig. :)

Ok thank you both for advice. I put it in at around 7 tonight and it is now 9. The polyps still have not come out. Is this normal??

And yet one more question.... I know I asked this before if it is ok to use super glue. Travisurfer, you said you think if it has Cyanoacylate it is ok to use. The super glue I have does have that in it, but it does not list the rest of ingredients. Just has a warning that it is in there. Here is the link: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/de...77&PID=1965

Is this ok to use on my GSP to attach to LR? If so, when I glue it to the rock what do you guys usually do - A) Take the rock out and expose both the GSP and rock to air and glue in the air, or B) Glue it under water - or is there a separate option I did not mention. Sorry but I am absolutely clueless as to how to go about this but I know it needs to be attached.

Oh, is Gorilla Glue better because I have that as well or is it just worth it to buy the reef glue at the LFS?

circusordie16

i think youll be fine with loctite. almost any superglue is fine. and i did option A, take it out, glue it to rock, put it back in.

Ok thanks. A few more questions, when I take it out of the water do I need to dry off the LR and the bottom of the GSP before putting the glue on? Also, how long should I leave it in the air once I put the 2 together with the glue? Then do I place it directly in the tank or should I put it in a bucket of the tank water for a bit until it is cured?? And if it needs to be cured how long? Sorry I just want to make sure I do it right! And thank you Circus and Travis for your help!

And yet one more question.... I know I asked this before if it is ok to use super glue. Travisurfer, you said you think if it has Cyanoacylate it is ok to use. The super glue I have does have that in it, but it does not list the rest of ingredients. Just has a warning that it is in there. Here is the link: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/de...77&PID=1965

I've used that exact same glue to attach some mushrooms to a rock. you should be fine. :) When I glued my mushrooms I just pulled the mushie out, put glue on the rock, and then placed the mushie down on top of it. Worked for me although it may not be the best method, especially for mushrooms, but it worked great. ;)

circusordie16

the rock i glued to was dry but it doesnt need to be. just keep it out of water long enough for the glue to hold the gsp onto the rock securely (maybe 30 seconds) and then put it in and it should be fine.

Thanks all! I glued the GSP to a new rock without a hitch so thank you! I still have not tackled the mushrooms...they intimidate me :D .

I also still need to get Joe's Juice. The Aiptasia is of course multiplying! My LFS was all out but said they should have some in tomorrow so I will go and take care of that in the afternoon and then tackle those shrooms - but maybe I will end up letting them be! And who knows, perhaps I will come home with another piece of coral. They really have good deals where I go. My first purple shroom was only $2 and a 2" x 1" square of GSP was $5. Can't beat that! Once the GSP is fully opened I'll take more pics.

never heard about using super glue. but it sounds like it will work. i would use that as my last hope to get rid of it. but make sure you get rid of it!!

I went to the store this weekend and there was no Joe's Juice but they did have Elimi-Aiptas by Tropic Marin which the staff recommended. I put it on the Aiptasia I could find last night and kept the filters off for 1 1/2 hours. Turned the filters back on and watched two of them immediately get sucked up! So it worked! The only concern I have at the moment is that I read on a thread in Reef Central that it can raise your alkalinity and ph. I have a ph test but know alkalinity test so my plan is to do a water change once it has been 24 hours from the time I put the chemical in. We will see how much this stuff really works by then!

Archived