Pod Your Reef

Setup of 2.5 AGA

RyanCD

The thing with the screw-ins is that you get both the bulb heat as well as the heat from the low-quality built-in ballast. The coralife screw-ins, in my experience, run hotter than the LoA bulbs. I've run both 10w & 20w, and without a fan, they cooked the wiring I had in there (standard lamp cord). Even with just the 20w, I had to lift the hood up 2" or else the tank would cook. Hood was completely open back as well.

Everything looks good, but just expect the possibility of having some heat issues common to these types of bulbs. You could easily put a fan in that hole thats already there, then reroute the wiring out another smaller one.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daemonfly and halfpint, thanks for the advice. I will test the temps with the hood on and lighting before I put anything in the tank.

However, I do not plan on using the coralife bulbs. Like I said above I will be using the LoA bulbs. Daemonfly, you said you have tried both and that the coralife bulbs are much more hot than LoA bulbs. Are you saying you were fine with the LoA's or still have heat issues?

the Coralifes do run very hot, I can attest to that. the only reason I am using them is b/c I already have them. I have 2 80mm fans coming to build into my canopy to combat the heat from the bulbs. oh the evaporation is going to be awesome.

I had some heat issues with the LOA bulbs, but it wasn't bad. Your canopy will be larger, so you may not have the issues. You also have room for a fan, etc.. if you do end up with slightly high temps.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have added my clean up crew. Yay! 6 hermits (2 scarlets and 4 tiny blue crabs-haven't a clue what they are called), 2 bumble bees, 3 nassaris' (spelling sorry) and 3 astreas.

Now here is my current problem and I have a feeling the answer is going to be an AquaClear 20 but here it goes..

My tank temp fluctuates too much and just simply is too cold. During the day it maxes out at 74F and during the night goes down to 70F. My crew is looking lethargic and I know I need to get a heater in there ASAP and bring the temp to 80F.

Here is my question: Where do I hide the heater?? I found an Azoo Titanium 50 watt that is 5.75". Would that fit into the back of an AquaClear 20? Is that what you all do? Would there be room to fit the heater and mod the filter so I can have Chaeto? or should I simply hide the heater in my rock work? The only thing that makes me a little leary of this idea is that if anything should happen to the heater I would have to tear the rock work apart to get to it...

Help!

Thanks!

I have a 25w Hagen Elite submersible heater that I keep in my AC200 <-- not a 20, it is only about 4.5-5" long I think. I also have a couple of pieces of LR, I want to add a bunch more as well as a chunk of red macro that I keep in my main tank, I don't have any cheato. If the heater doesn't fit in your filter then you will need to drop it into your display somewhere. Make sure it is set and working properly for a few days before you bury it in the rock.

Thank you for the advice PhatSOB. Now you said you use an Aqua Clear 200??? And that has enough room for everything? That must be for your 10 gal?

rleon, been meaning to post pics. Will do so tonight. Still don't have stand completely painted though... :(

Anyone have an AC 20 and some input for me?

Thanks!

is the AC20 what used to be called a mini. If it is you are going to have trouble fitting a filter in it, they are very small. My AC200 (new name is AC50 I think) is on my 1.6, I only have a AC150 on my 10g. I would say you are going to need a larger filter if you want to get is all out of the display tank

ok thanks for the advice. Now this may be a stupid question but if I get a larger model Aqua Clear for this tank to get everything out of the display tank I know that a large filter is overkill but could it actually hurt a 2.5?

im wokin on a twopointfive also and im thinking about increasing my aquaclear size from twenty. does anyone know if the larger ones will still fit on a 2.5 and not touch the ground in back (are they the same depth). also what is the egg crate material used so often to screen the front of the ac to keep the algae in???

skey44, the eggcrate material is a grid looking, white plastic material that you can get in any hardware store in the lighting section. It's intended purpose is to go into drop ceilings.

As for the question about the Aqua Clears I really don't know as I have a Red Sea.

I can say that all up to atleast the AC50 will fit for sure, I have't used any of the bigger ones. The only one that may be close is the 110 and I am pretty sure it would still fit height wise but probaly not length wise. A 110 on a 2.5 would be nice though, almost doubling your water volume.

Ok, I have run into another problem: flow. I don't want to put any coral in until I have this under control.

Right now I have a Red Sea filter and a Mini Jet 404. I know that I need the Mini Jet for added flow because the Red Sea just won't cut it but I hate how the pump takes up so much room and just looks ugly. I want it out of the tank.

If I get rid of the Red Sea and the Mini Jet and replace them with the AC filter is that alone enough flow? If not, I would rather stick with what I have (the Red Sea and Mini Jet) and come up with a different option. Would it work if I put the pump in a HOB refugium and put PVC on the pump and create an upside down "U" with the PVC? If you follow what I mean.. This way the pump wouldn't be in the tank but the PVC would allow the flow to continue into the tank and I would drill the end cap. Or could I run into potentially too much head loss?

Please help! I don't want to see the pump but then again I don't want to restart my tank because l have to drill... :(

only problem with the pump in the filter would be the water level in the filter would drop and the filter wouldn't be able to keep up. There would have to be an intake and a return going from the pump to the tank.

Oh, sorry I didn't explain myself well. The pump wont be in the filter. I was talking about building a separate refugium out of acrylic and make it hang on the back and it will house my pump, heater, and chaeto. The filter will be it's own separate entity on the other end of the tank.

So like I described above, I am wondering if this "U" out of PVC connecting to the pump would work??

I have pictures of the tank together (although they aren't the greatest shots!)!!

IMG_5709.jpg

Without the lights on

IMG_5710.jpg

With the moon light on

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

When I get home I will take another pic with the daytime lights.

Archived