Coral Vue Hydros

crocea fell in sand

Guam Girl

Just added a new crocea and found it upside down in the sand this am (stupid turbos). When I picked it up a copepod ran out and the clam couldn't completely close due to large sand lodged between shell. I cleaned him up, reset him and waited....no movement or reactions all morning until I eventually stuck my finger into the shell to check if it was alive (which I got a little movement). The mantle (?) is retracted from the shell and has not come out all day.

Anything I can do? I am new to clams.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clownfishcrazy1117

First of all, copepods are very very very very small. Pretty much impossible to see. Second, if your tank is less then 4 months old, return the clam to the fish store. It isn't a beginners coral. How much lighting do you have? What are your tank parameters? Please research coral BEFORE you get it. Clams are difficult to keep and need a lot of lighting.

First of all, copepods are very very very very small. Pretty much impossible to see. Second, if your tank is less then 4 months old, return the clam to the fish store. It isn't a beginners coral. How much lighting do you have? What are your tank parameters? Please research coral BEFORE you get it. Clams are difficult to keep and need a lot of lighting.

A clam is not a coral.

Guam Girl, I too think that the amphipods did not do anything to the clam. It was just probably hiding under the shade of it. Maybe it's just stressed out? If it has any sand in it, it should be able to take it out itself. I have watched mine do it before. It kind of retracts a bit, and then opens up real quick and shoots a blast of water out of its exhaust, and the sand shoots out also. This process takes like 2-3 seconds. Your clam should open up though.

oops, an amphipod...glad to know that they don't bother clams. It isn't looking good...now the clam is wide open "gapping" which I read is a sign of stress which might be irreversible. The clam has only been in the tank one day so between store, car ride, fat turbos and all else I am sure he is stressed....I hope he makes it.

I have done my research on clams and am prepared, have had my tank setup for six months with no problems but did not anticipate finding him face down in the sand. Can't find much info on face plants for clams :)

I guess its wait and see. Let you know.

Just moved him to the bottom of the tank so he doesn't fall again and there was no response whatsoever. I would say he is done for but will give him overnight. I find it odd that he died so quickly.

Tank is six months old, doing great. Water changes every week whether needs it or not. Everything else is thriving...lots of corraline algea which is a sign of good health. Testing has always shown zeros. Add coral vite, ph, etc. I do need to get a test kit for cal/alk, however, this could not have caused the clam to die in less than 24 hrs.

Everyone keeps asking about lighting...lighting could not have caused the clam to die in under 24 hrs. He was doing great after acclimation. It must have been the nose dive. Can they suffocate in sand?

everyone keeps asking about lighting because clams have high light requirements - I wouldn't even consider keeping one in my 5.5G with 96w of PC over it.

Not avoiding just saying thats not the problem with my brand new clam. 24g nano cube deluxe with stock lighting 2x36w.

A clam introduced into a tank and dying within 24 hrs that was otherwise healthy is not a lighting problem. That he would die after taking a swan dive into the sand seems to be the issue.

My original question was if it is normal for a clam to die after laying face down in the sand overnight? From other input I received, it seems that not many have taken this way out...it may just be too much stress being introduced and then land face first in the sand for about 12 hrs. My LFS indicated that he might have suffocated? Anyone heard of this?

Never heard of it suffocating in sand. Regardless, your lighting is not sufficient and the choice of a crocea was a poor one. Even if it survives I would return it, or upgrade your lighting. Best of luck.

Thanks for the help, unfortunately there is so much differing of opinoin that it is hard to tell what is right. The LFS told me that my lighting would be fine if the clam was kept up near the top. Same setup as mine in the store has had a clam forever. Live and learn :)

that lighting is on the low side for a crocea, which has the highest lighting needs of all the clams. i wouldn't do a croc without mh but i agree that most likely is not the reason why the clam died (did it die btw?).

lack of lighting for a day or two or more isn't going to kill a clam. sand won't smother a clam either unless it's buried in it. it most likely fell and closed up, right? if it didn't close up (almost a reflex action) there was something wrong with it prior to that.

btw pictures always help in diagnosing/evaluating. otherwise, it's mostly guessing in the dark.

some clams can function/live in lower lighting if also provided plankton (whether nanoplankton, zooplankton, phytoplankton, etc. isn't what i'm specifically saying). clams are primarily filter feeders, hence their body setup. tridacna clams are primarily filter feeders in their younger stages (knop?). every setup is different, even if the equipment is exactly the same, the water, the rock and the fauna/flora on those rocks are different.

again, i doubt your clam croaked because of lack of light or food for a day or so. more likely it succumbed to a prior condition or rapid death syndrome that occasionally afflicts these clams. the plague that hit the hobby a couple of years ago almost wiped out entire crops within days.

get MH lighting.....LFS are full of crap, they just try to sell you stuff. Its not about wattage its about intensity. If don't want to do that then return the clam please. PS how big is the clam if it is smaller then 4' inches it is not photosyth. You will have to spot feed it.

I appreciate everyones input! You guys are very helpful and supportive. I have been stressing...it may be my first loss.

Update: he is still alive...there is movement...the peppermint shrimp has decided he is tasty and the clam closed up. However, the mantle seems to be completely retreated.

Will keep up the vigile just in case.

tried a pic but was to big of a file.

shrimp/crustaceans and clams often do not mix well. the shrimp's irritating it won't help (stress). either remove the shrimp or protect the clam, maybe in a in-tank refugium.

Clownfishcrazy1117
A clam is not a coral.

Not the point. Besides, I was talking in general.

oops, an amphipod...glad to know that they don't bother clams. It isn't looking good...now the clam is wide open "gapping" which I read is a sign of stress which might be irreversible. The clam has only been in the tank one day so between store, car ride, fat turbos and all else I am sure he is stressed....I hope he makes it.

I have done my research on clams and am prepared, have had my tank setup for six months with no problems but did not anticipate finding him face down in the sand. Can't find much info on face plants for clams :)

I guess its wait and see. Let you know.

Sorry, thought you had a new tank since you're new to the site.

Could that be what happened? I also have a sally lightfoot....are they not compatible with clams? I know peppermint shrimp are generally ok...but I did not think about the crab. He has gotten very large about the size of my hand and has even taken a chunk out of my pygmy angels tail. However, he is great at removing red bacteria/algea. Sweeps the tank every night.

Other mates:

clown

firefish

high fin banded goby

two turbos

two blue legs

pygmy angel

sally lightfoot

peppermint shrimp

cup coral (the most beautiful I have ever seen - neon green)

sun polyp

yellow colony

green star polyp

flowerpot

various zoos

green mussell (cool hitchhiker)

that clam is going through alot of crap HAHA... hope it pulls through, even if it shouldnt even be under such an underlit system.

peppermint shrimp can be quite aggresive - go to the general reef forum to find out about another aquarist with peppermint shrimp that takes off the heads of his xenia.

ive had cleaner shrimps attack my croceas in an attempt to get at the gills. caused some damage that took a few months to heal.

100% not enough lighting. I would take it back and try to get a nice derasa or squamosa. Croceas a very high light clam. I dont think it falling in the sand would cause this much damage. Have you checked for pyrimid snails? Either way if it lives through the next week just either sell it locally, return it, or upgrade to a MH. In the long run it wont live.

How big is your tank? Clams need a 90g at least for enough swimming room.

Wait...thats not right. Hold on.

(Ahem)

Clams need real light.

There we go, thats what I meant to say.

that lighting is on the low side for a crocea, which has the highest lighting needs of all the clams.

I have a "crocea" under the very same lights, and it's lived for nearly 8 months. That being said, I'm not 100% sure if it's a crocea at all! Croceas and maximas tend to look alike, at least to me. I think the scute development distinguishes them? Now that I think of it, the thing hasn't done much burrowing into the rock (I think croceas do this) so it's probably a maxima.

Sorry to report the clam did not make it...shortly after turning the lights out, the sally lightfoot attacked. Probably natural cleaning of dead material.

I will keep in mind everyones input regarding clams...someone mentioned derasa or squamosa. I will look into better lighting if I decide to continue with clams. Too traumatized to get another at the moment.

Thanks for everyones concern and help.

Archived