Top Shelf Aquatics

My 1/2 Gal Pico

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

the tank is pretty close to a window that we keep cracked at night. temp gets as low as about 72 at night, up to 82 in the daytime. doesn't seem to be bothering anything. i'm a lot more worried about what it could drop to rather than overheating.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok cool. Yeah I agree with the reverse lighting thing.

How is the frogspawns doing? Where did you get it from? I am looking for a small one.

texx

This is awesome. I have one of these tanks, one of those light bulbs, some live sand, and some live rock.

Hey.... All I need is one of those filters? I just might have to do this.

Do you have any suggestions on something different for water movement?

Ok cool. When do you think that you will get it all together?

All I really need is the azoo palm filter... and I don't know if I can get one locally for cheap enough and don't really fell like getting it online... Maybe I can find one at petco/petsmart? I'll go look and see tomorrow.

If I do get it going, I might set it up at my girlfriends house. She'd like that. I'll let you know when I get it going.

I'm not trying to steal this thread, but do you think the AC20 (mini) would have way too much flow? I'm not sure of the size of it... but do you think that could work?

Oh, well, I saw that...I was inquiring about the livestock. =)

Kinda new to this SW thing so I'm just seeing whether I'd be able to maintain the aquarium once I set it up.

SpencerShepard

don't hijack my thread, pls. :)

tex, the frogspawn is doing fine. it's open, but my hermit keeps scraping food from the skeleton so it's not as open as it should be.

epic, not sure how much an lfs would sell you such tiny frags for. they are all grown from my larger tanks. i can tell you that my sexy shrimp retail for about $15 each around here.

Genix- Sorry for Zachs hijacking! Do you have a pic of the frogspawn open?

Zach- I think that an AC20 will be too much flow for that size tank. Look into a cheap filter by like tetra or something and shave down the impeller.

texx

How many fish could you keep in a1/2 pico tank. I was thinking of having a puffer or two or dragonnet.

There are no fish you could keep in a 1/2g tank, IMO. Espeacially NOT a puffer. I wouldn't house a SW puffer in anything smaller then a absolute minimum of 30g, and thats for the smaller "tobys". Some get quite large and can require hundreds of gallons of water.

Not a dragonet either...

A puffer in a 1/2g tank is a recipe for catastrophic disaster, not to mention that the puffer would be miserable.

I hope I didn't hi-jack the thread lol. I speacialize in puffers, and I just couldn't let that go with no replys...Sorry.

Awsome looking tank! It looks really nice.

Are you worried about the frogspawn getting too big? I hear they have pretty powerful sweepers. Sorry if thats already been asked, I didn't read through all the posts.

(Heh, I know I haven't posted here in a LONG time, but I was doing some reading and ran into this thread)

SpencerShepard
Are you worried about the frogspawn getting too big? I hear they have pretty powerful sweepers. Sorry if thats already been asked, I didn't read through all the posts.

if it gets too big, i can always remove it or replace it with a smaller frag. where i placed it now, sweepers won't be hitting anything but the filter.

That is one sweet little tank. And that shrimp is, sexy. Cool video of the tank too... What type of temp swings do you have in the tank? Is is hotter now that the light is closer too?

Keep up the good work. ;)

SpencerShepard

the light really doesn't get hot at all. i doubt it has that much of an affect on tank temp. when i first started the tank, i didn't have a light so i tried putting it in a window sill. the next morning the tank was 100 degrees and everything was nuked. since then, the tank hasn't been higher than 82. temp ranges from 72-82. i'll start a reverse lighting schedule to see if that makes a difference.

Archived