SpencerShepard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
SpencerShepard

DSC00659.jpg

a bad pic, but I just took this today. not seen in the pic: orange ricordea polyp, green hairy mushroom polyp. i'd like to add a few more frags to this tank, but haven't been motivated to go out of my way to find them.

the boxer crab died, everything else is doing well. as i've said earlier in this topic, this tank is more of an experiment than anything. and i've been amazed at how much I can neglect this tank. i've gone as long as 6 weeks or more without a water change. temp fluctuates 15 degrees F or more, daily. a few days ago i did a 100 percent water change with water that was significantly colder than what they were in. and nothing seems to mind!!

the boxer crab died, everything else is doing well. as i've said earlier in this topic, this tank is more of an experiment than anything. and i've been amazed at how much I can neglect this tank. i've gone as long as 6 weeks or more without a water change. temp fluctuates 15 degrees F or more, daily. a few days ago i did a 100 percent water change with water that was significantly colder than what they were in. and nothing seems to mind!!

that's because the ocean doesn't have the same parameters 24/7. natural occurances can alter the water and expose some of its inhabitants to a little fluctuation. although i wouldn't recommend doing that on a regular basis, corals can take a little abuse in certain aspects

btw nice pico

aqua_aaron

SpencerShepard
that's because the ocean doesn't have the same parameters 24/7. natural occurances can alter the water and expose some of its inhabitants to a little fluctuation. although i wouldn't recommend doing that on a regular basis, corals can take a little abuse in certain aspects

btw nice pico

aqua_aaron

well, no... i'd have to disagree. while we know that water chemistry and temperature fluctuates in the ocean, it is a huge body of water and these changes take place very slowly. so while changes do take place...the ocean is still the most stable environment on the planet.

i agree completely, the ocean is very stable. i never said the ocean was unstable, but say, for instance, there is a little coral patch that is separated from the rest of the ocean at low tide (this happens often in shallower areas where the reef is rather close to the beach or rock). the salinity will change, as will temp, probably a little drastically. then, almost all of a sudden the ocean will splash back in at high tide, with the ocean water different than the changes that occurred to the water with the corals. Because this is an often occurance, i was merely saying that some corals can survive those kind of fluctuations because they have the possibility of experiencing this in nature.

aqua_aaron

This tank is sooo awesome. To think people thought a ten gallon reef was crazy just 10 or so years back. (some people still think that :) )

Anyway, LOVE the tank!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i set up my pico like this because when i read this thread i was curious, i have a sexy shrimp which i got for free form work, but he aint in there yet, its running as a sunlite pico at the moment as the light bulbs genix as used dont exist in england or on any english mail order sites i can find, if any one could point me in th eright direction for one of them i would be very thankful, ill post a pic to if you like, might start my own thread tho, so as not to take over gneixs thread lol,

any way at the moment my pico contain variety of macro algae cuttings some gsp and a couple of zoos none are open because its night time at the moment

• 1 month later...
i set up my pico like this because when i read this thread i was curious, i have a sexy shrimp which i got for free form work, but he aint in there yet, its running as a sunlite pico at the moment as the light bulbs genix as used dont exist in england or on any english mail order sites i can find, if any one could point me in th eright direction for one of them i would be very thankful, ill post a pic to if you like, might start my own thread tho, so as not to take over gneixs thread lol,

any way at the moment my pico contain variety of macro algae cuttings some gsp and a couple of zoos none are open because its night time at the moment

Hey Genix nice Tank! I wanna set one up like that too...maybe sometime in the future! My wife keeps wanting a saltwater tank and I dont know much about so I just keep freshwater fishies for now...anyway I remember you were looking for that rio light...I just did a search is it this one here:

http://www.championlighting.com/product.ph...at=0&page=1

i saw this tank in a fish store a few weeks ago... oh my god is it small... nice work keeping it going... what happened with that xenia? would it not stand up anymore? mine did that for a few weeks and then it just attached to the rock, half up the stalk, and detached from where it was attached at the base.. its still growing fine

again great micro tank

• 2 weeks later...

The above tank looks awesome! Glad to see someone trying something a bit different.

I actually bought a new desk lamp today so I can try a tank like that. 20w Coralife 50/50 bulb over a 1g tank. It'll be a shroom only tank (maybe a Sexy or two).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
SpencerShepard

I took this tank down a few months ago. the impeller on the elite mini was corroding, and i was neglecting to do water changes. but i've just started an identical set up at work a couple days ago. i'll start a thread for that soon.

• 3 months later...

Archived