Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 1/2 Gal Pico

SpencerShepard

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be first degree murder to put a dragonet in that little tank. There is absolutely no way that one would make it any length of time. They need well established, large systems with well stocked live sand and, even then, the chances of success aren't that great.

Please, please no dragonets.

You tank looks great! I will post pics of mine soon.

This tank looks really, really nice. I was out at lunch looking at the equipment that you used a pet store and I am thinking of setting up a similar tank at work since the cost is so low. The only thing I am going to have to figure out is the light. I can get all my coral frags from my other tank and steal a chunk of rock out of it. BTW, where in Canada are you are from?

SpencerShepard
This tank looks really, really nice. I was out at lunch looking at the equipment that you used a pet store and I am thinking of setting up a similar tank at work since the cost is so low. The only thing I am going to have to figure out is the light. I can get all my coral frags from my other tank and steal a chunk of rock out of it. BTW, where in Canada are you are from?

my original plan was to order an AZOO palm light. they aren't sold in canada, period. i tried to order one from foster and smith but they wanted to charge me $60 shipping!! there really aren't enough options for a tank this size. i saw an ad for Rio's Mini Sun clamp on LED light but can't find it online anywhere. so i ended up sticking with my theme of readily available parts and went with a screw in coralife CF bulb. i wouldn't waste your time trying to find anything else. but i'm sure you could make a cool DIY led light if you wanted. oh and i'm in vicotria. :)

wow this tank is inspired!, all the equipment is stocked at my lfs so im gonna set one up too lol but im gonna led light it so i can use it as an excuse to try leds lol, then maybe i can make some for my mantis tank :D

SpencerShepard
wow this tank is inspired!, all the equipment is stocked at my lfs so im gonna set one up too lol but im gonna led light it so i can use it as an excuse to try leds lol, then maybe i can make some for my mantis tank :D

yeah i was also thinking about going with LEDs. it would be easy to use 2 or 3 different sets of LEDs on the same board so that you could switch between daylight, dusk, and moonlights. good luck!

SpencerShepard

the tank's doing well. i added two more tiny zoo frags, and i'll probably add a bit more GSP today. i'm having to use a tooth brush to clean algae just about every other day. i'll try to get a current shot today.

thanks everyone for the compliments!

I was going to ask you how you cleaned your 'glass' and how often you did it. Mind reader... ;). After your new frags open up, let's see another tank shot!

SpencerShepard

the bulb is less than 6 inches long. i really don't feel like removing it and measuring it right now.

these were taken with a lot of ambient daylight. not very pleased with them so i'll probably take a few more tonight.

pico059.jpg

pico062.jpg

SpencerShepard
update on inhabitants

2 sexy shrimp, nassarius snail, blue-leg hermit, xenia, frogspawn, striped shroom, hairy shroom, GSP, 4 types of zoos. everything is doing well. i'll be removing the blue-leg hermit today. he's too big, knocks things over, and there's not enough for him to eat. i'm also planning on adding one or two more sexy shrimp.

i'm open to suggestions for other small inverts.

well i bought my self one of these tank today at work, and the elite mini filter... plus black gravel...unoriginal i know but i really like the way it looks, me and my firend are going to make an LED board for it soon:D currently it is holding some l/r from my nano and a small hitchiker crab, he, will probably the mantis shrimp tho, when i get it :D, got loadsa free peices of coral from work which are being attched to rocks in my nano, some zoas, a softy of sum sort, and a shroom plus 3 or more macro algaes

well i bought my self one of these tank today at work, and the elite mini filter... plus black gravel...unoriginal i know but i really like the way it looks, me and my firend are going to make an LED board for it soon:D currently it is holding some l/r from my nano and a small hitchiker crab, he, will probably the mantis shrimp tho, when i get it :D, got loadsa free peices of coral from work which are being attched to rocks in my nano, some zoas, a softy of sum sort, and a shroom plus 3 or more macro algaes

got my tank all set up now...fidling around with the leds at the mo should have them ready in a day or two, sorry for putting this on your thread , i'll start my own if nesscary lol but we can compare leds versus coral life on the same tank:D

SpencerShepard

i added a boxer (pom-pom) crab!! they hold anemones in their pincers that they use to sting potential attackers and capture food.

pico080.jpg

i'll try to get a better close-up of the boxer.

Archived