Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clams need help!

jane of baden

jane of baden

I've kept 2 Tridacna croceas in my tank for a few weeks, and theyve been doing great until- literally- 48 hours ago. At first I thought they were just on the move, but now it seems more like theyre acting funny...

Here's basic info:

10g tank, heavy skimming, 70w MH. Clams kept on sand bed about 18-24" from light. No hyperextension. Dosing DT's Supreme Reef Blend and Dt's oyster eggs.

Params:

81.3 degrees

pH- 8.2 (99.9% of the time)

Nitrate- <10 ppm

nitrite- 0 ppm

NH3- <.25 ppm

Ca- 400 mg/L

No measurable copper, phosphate, etc

Suddenly, they've just moved so that theyre sideways. And the smaller of the two (2" clam) isn't expanding fully.The larger of the two (about 2.5" clam) is expanding normally, but ... on its side? on the move?

I've noticed my neon goby sitting on the smaller clam's shell more than normal, but it doesnt seem to be bothering it. No inhabitants seem to be bothering it. My signature has a more complete list of tank inhabitants. None have been a problem before; the porcelain crab doesn't leave his 'territory.'

I did experience a freak pH drop this morning though, and I'm slowly raising the pH now (over the course of about 2 hours) it fell to about 7.9, it's at about 8.1 now.

Insight?

Any tips to please the clams?

alk check (8.5-10)

pyramid snail check

fish nipping check

plus, with 70 watts keeping them at the bottom is not the way to go. i don't even do that with 150 watts.

jane of baden

lighting really ISNT the problem here... like I said before- no hyperextension/ gaping, no receding tissue, nothing bad until like 2 days ago.

Absolutely barely any salinity changes. I top off really slowly, all day... like, drip-addition, I never pour anything straight into the tank.

Pyramid snails? I only bought astreas, turbos.

The royal gramma tends to just hide.... the neon goby has a really sweet temperment.

I added the last clam about 5 weeks ago. I added the first clam about... 8-10 weeks ago. Fast, I know, but I didn't experience any drops in water quality. The last clam I added was a little timid at first, but after about three days he really began to look nice... like I said, until about 2 days ago.

Really, its even more mystifying because everything else in the tank, even the LPS and SPS is doing absolutely awesome. My seriatopora is growing like a mofo. All the softies dominate half the tank. It's just the clams that seem to be having problems.

check your alk.

3 most important things for your clam:

1. Light - could be better, how old is ur bulb? don't rule it out. i'm trying to help.

2. Alk - ??

3. Ca -ok

4. Size of tank, 10 gallons is really pushing it for a Crocea. do you test/dose every day? again, Ca and Alk, make sure its constant everytime you test.

edit: i just noticed u have 2 clams in ur 10 gallons. if so you will have to check your Ca VERY often to be sure, and get into a dosing regimen. you cannot get away with water changes only.

pyramids are hitchikers often introduced through a new clam. they feed on the mantle at night. check a few hours after lights out just in case.

jane of baden
check your alk.

3 most important things for your clam:

1. Light - could be better, how old is ur bulb? don't rule it out. i'm trying to help.

2. Alk - ??

3. Ca -ok

4. Size of tank, 10 gallons is really pushing it for a Crocea. do you test/dose every day? again, Ca and Alk, make sure its constant everytime you test.

edit: i just noticed u have 2 clams in ur 10 gallons. if so you will have to check your Ca VERY often to be sure, and get into a dosing regimen. you cannot get away with water changes only.

pyramids are hitchikers often introduced through a new clam. they feed on the mantle at night. check a few hours after lights out just in case.

i check my calc a lot (4+ times a week); with SPS and clams I really go through it...

The bulb is under a year old. Is a Ushio? I think.?

I do a lot of nocturnal tank-watching; I have tubastrea so I'm usually glued to it a few times a week from about 11-2 Am

The clams are about 2" apart- could that be a problem?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I won't be home tonight, but I'll be sure to check around for a little pestie nipping at my clams tomorrow, and check the GH?kH/etc.

jane of baden
what made the pH drop suddenly like that? unknown?

why is there an ammonia reading? did something happen recently?

The ammonia happened as a result of my vacation. My salt order didnt come in and my incompetent caretaker couldnt figure out how to get salt, so they didnt bother to do a water change...

No idea about the pH drop. It's really getting very frustrating!

The ammonia happened as a result of my vacation. My salt order didnt come in and my incompetent caretaker couldnt figure out how to get salt, so they didnt bother to do a water change...
still kind of unusual to get any kind of ammonia reading.

you could go years without a waterchange and shouldn't see ammonia imo (unless something dies). nitrate buildup maybe but that shouldn't bother the clams unless it goes really high but ammonia (or nitrite) is puzzling.

No idea about the pH drop. It's really getting very frustrating!
could be something rotting/dead. organic breakdown can depress pH. i'd do a head count to see if anything's missing.
jane of baden
still kind of unusual to get any kind of ammonia reading.

you could go years without a waterchange and shouldn't see ammonia imo (unless something dies). nitrate buildup maybe but that shouldn't bother the clams unless it goes really high but ammonia (or nitrite) is puzzling.

could be something rotting/dead. organic breakdown can depress pH. i'd do a head count to see if anything's missing.

Funny you mention that

I used to go through fish.... quickly... I used to have a pest problem to which I lost 1 royal gramma and 2 neon gobies. However, that was quite a while ago. I did lose a tiny bleached mushroom like a week ago. (i didnt kill it, I brought it home from work because it was in desperate need of some TLC)

God, reefkeeping can be such an eternal mystery.

• 2 weeks later...

croceas are rock clams and should be placed on rock high up in your reef. The more light the better with them and being 18-24 inches down under a small 70 watt is most likely what they are mad at. Let me put it this way All my croceas are about 10-12 inches under 250 watt halide and 130 watts of PC and they look happy...Ive had them up by my SPS and they were really happy!

Croceas love light

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that 70w might be the problem. That is not much light with it is sitting at the bottom of your tank. Since the clams are small, they are probably fine. But I think a larger 3+" Crocea needs at least 150w DE or 250w SE to survive

I also suggest you look for Pyramid snails. They are tiny and very hard to see. Bright white cone shaped. Take a tupperware container, fill it with enough water to cover the clam. Place the clam in the container and scrap the sides, bottom and lightly the foot and see if there are any Pyramid snails. If you see any, it means you have alot in your tank. They are very common hitchhikers, and can kill the clam if nothing is done to get rid of them. They are only found in tanks with clams, as they need to feed off a clam to survive.

Bob

Archived