ReefCleaners.org

Crocea clam w/ stock Aquapod lighting okay?

WaLieN

I picked up a Crocea Clam from a LFS the other day. Some have been saying that under stock PC lighting, it should be fine. Others say that it will need some stronger MH lights. Do you guys think it would be fine under my stock PC lighting? Also, I dont do any additives aside from feeing them phytoplankton once in a while. Should I start buffering with calcium and stuff?

Clownfishcrazy1117

I would recommend getting MH lights. Even if it could survive, stronger lighting will 1. Allow you to get a larger variety of coral, 2. Make the clam much happier. But I'm not an expert. It might be able to thrive under lower lighting. Someone else should know more. :)

Crocea clams are the toughest of the clams to keep. They need high light intensity, stable params, and tons of trace elements to thrive.

All three of these conditions are nearly impossible to provide in a nano. Clams are for the experienced aquarist. Your post implies that you really don't know what you are doing here.

My advice is take it back to the LFS. Someday, maybe try a Tridacna Derasa, they are the easiest to care for, but still pushing it.

My crocea clams are on the rock up by my sps under 250 watts of halide along with 130 watts of PC....that should answer your question

winterparkmg

Don't be discouraged by idog. I bought a Crocea and have it in my 20L. I have 130W over the tank and supplement its diet with phyto twice a week. It seems happy, siphon and filtering assembly fully functional and very reactive to changes in lighting and other stimuli. My parameters are not rock solid by any means and it's been in there awhile. I'm not suggesting just getting a clam and throwing it into a 5 gallon bucket and wishing it well, but I think that with a VERY little bit of research and care (less than SPS coral) that your Crocea can be ok. And I got a two inch clam, so it should still be dependent upon the phyto with lighting as a supplement. It does not seem to like intense lighting in my tank. I tried to place it on a rock high in the tank in very moderate flow, but it kept diving off to the sandbed below, so that's where it stays for now. Partial shading even from a rock above. Just research, get the phyto, keep the clam, and turn the lights up a little bit. I agree that your whole tank will be happier with more lighting, but you don't need a MH for clams.

~Wm

Don't be discouraged by idog

So by definition, you are encouraging him to put the most delicate clam in tank with somewhere between 48 and 72 watts of PC lighting. On top of that, he has no idea how to care for it.

I'm assuming he has a NC or AP, due to the "stock lighting" reference. Your 20L with 130 watts is a totally different setup.

There is no way a crocea can thrive in this setup, don't be irresponsible by advising someone to try it.

Don't be discouraged by idog. I bought a Crocea and have it in my 20L. I have 130W over the tank and supplement its diet with phyto twice a week. It seems happy, siphon and filtering assembly fully functional and very reactive to changes in lighting and other stimuli. My parameters are not rock solid by any means and it's been in there awhile. I'm not suggesting just getting a clam and throwing it into a 5 gallon bucket and wishing it well, but I think that with a VERY little bit of research and care (less than SPS coral) that your Crocea can be ok. And I got a two inch clam, so it should still be dependent upon the phyto with lighting as a supplement. It does not seem to like intense lighting in my tank. I tried to place it on a rock high in the tank in very moderate flow, but it kept diving off to the sandbed below, so that's where it stays for now. Partial shading even from a rock above. Just research, get the phyto, keep the clam, and turn the lights up a little bit. I agree that your whole tank will be happier with more lighting, but you don't need a MH for clams.

~Wm

So funny you attacks idog and you have a lot more light...how long have you had the clam? BTW The reason the clam dove off the rock is not because of being exposed to more light but because of the moderate flow. The trick to keeping crocea is to get them into a place with super high light with almost no flow at all...It took me like 4 months to find a place my croceas liked with the light they needed. Your right you dont need halides to keep crocea but you at least need some T5 HO's with para reflectors.

even 130W PC is pushing it.

I agree w/ Idog, maybe a Deresa, but that's about it, even that is pushing it. alot of it has to do with the size/age of the specimen.

Clam's ie over a long period of time as well. It could take months for a clam to actually die, but it's suffering that whole time.

D

Archived