inTank Media Baskets

Yankee Tank II

yankeereefer

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yankeereefer

redid my aquascape - rocks were being saved for the 10g>20H conversion that I'm not moving very fast on:

FTS

DSC02007.jpg

I have pix from the rarely seen rear of the tank (but they're too dark to post - I'll clean 'em up and upload later)

Went to LFS today and picked up a bunch of snails for The Colonel. He's been clicking away at them all day long - I went ahead and took a tube of silicone and went around the base of the tank and up the front right side to see if I could stop the slow leak - This will have to do till I fugure out what to do for his next tank

I also picked up something else, but you have to visit my 10g thread to find out!

Yankee

drowsyfirefly

I'm sorry about the leak, but looking forward to seeing what you do with the replacement tank.

Glad to see the Col. out and about. Oh how easily the terrified are converted. He's got an absolutely lovely coloring.

I read on Roy's that the light affects what color they will be after molts for some mantis shrimp--is this true for the Col.'s species?

--Meghan

yankeereefer

The Colonel has been really active since his damsel kill - I think it triggered some primitive instincts or something. Right after I dumped the snails in he hauled off a couple of 'em and started banging away.

The Colonel is a wennerae, and you're right meghan, the tank lighting did have an impact on his post molt coloring

I have some acrylic to cut for the next tank - I'm probably going to stay with the 5.5g, but try a different overflow and return pump.

thanks for checking out my thread!

Yeah I've spotted Natasha peeking out of her Fortress of Solitude at me.

She's darker but since she doesn't venture out of the rock it's hard to say what color she's become.

EL CHUPACABRA
I also have to top off this tank quite a bit almost every / every other day (1/2-1 litre). When I add those two together (salt creep + crazy evap) - I think it equals a leak.

My auto top off on my 5.5g runs about a gal a week, that is w/ 2x70W?MH and 2x18W PC, on it and a honeywell tornado fan blowing across the surface of the water, topless of course. tops are for the underage.

I stuck a skewer into the tank

His tank continues to build up salt creep around the base - I'm going to have to do something about that this weekend. My thougts are to pickup another 5.5g - I'm considering building a corner overflow (for skimming and to protect/hide heater) this time instead of doing the overflow on the side as in the current design. It'll have to be big enough to also put the AC20 intake.

Thoughts?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stick w/ the side overflow, its whats makes our tanks badass. Stay away from the back false wall its so played out and would take away alot of room.

You might as well buy a nano-pube if your going for the back wall.

Skewer??? God gave you fingers for a reason... Don't tell me your afraid of a shrimp. Are you a man or a mouse? :lol:

Good to hear from you yankee, its been to long. We should do a trade soon. I am also interested in the 400wMh, why? because I am ridiculus I could put it on the 4 gallon with my current light and have 144wpg of deliciousness. I only have 44wpg now, eghhhh. What bulb do you have for it? PM me...

PS the tank is looking good...Really good.

• 2 weeks later...
drowsyfirefly

Oh the Colonel. :D

I have an emerald crab in my tank named Captain Sarge (it irritates me that it should be spelled "serge" but then I say it wrong) Harkins, which pi$$es my dad off because I mix ranks. :D No Colonel though.

I got an 8 gallon Finnex tank for my b/f. His mantis will be living in style. In return I get to name it. Akira? Fluffy? Momo? Who knows! Currently I am forbidden from starting any more tanks. Two is not enough!!

Anyways, I really like the LR arrangement. As for the Damsel: RIP, go Colonel!

And because I'm curious as to how to DIY the back for the filter etc, could you explain it? I am kind of stupid...

--Meghan

Hi Meghan

The DIY overflow was easy - Dremel, acrylic, old powerhead a little tubing and some plastic electrical connectors from Menards for bulkheads)

I cut to fit the acrylic. Notched a few teeth for the overflow and drilled a hole for the bulkhead return. Once that was done I siliconed it in. The powerhead is my return pump joined to the bulkhead w/tubing

The split return is a piece I found at an LFS made for Rio powerheads, I rigged it to fit into my bulkhead

If I could do it all over again. I wouldn't notch the overflow teeth out. Instead, I would cut the wall shorter and let the water fall acoss the whole width of the false wall. It would have better surface skimming and be much quieter.

HTH

YR

Hey this tank is really nice..

Where did you get your 5.5 tank? I have been having trouble finding them and I really want to start a 5.5 or 10g !!!

Good stuff!

Where did you get your 5.5 tank?

Thanks,

I've seen 5.5g's at Walmart, Meijer, and Petsmart - They're fairly plentiful around these parts- I think I bought mine at Meijer for around $8.99

Thanks,

I've seen 5.5g's at Walmart, Meijer, and Petsmart - They're fairly plentiful around these parts- I think I bought mine at Meijer for around $8.99

Okay I will have to check it out.. thanks... if you could PM me your tank specs I would really appricate it so I know what i have to work off of etc...

thanks dude :)

if you have aim im me! ''directional''

• 2 weeks later...

Rescaped the mantis tank (again) - The Colonel must like it 'cause he's out all of the time now:

DSC02156.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

Couple new additions from a local whose moving out of state and tearing down his tanks:

DSC02127.jpg

DSC02126.jpg

DSC02157.jpg

DSC02158.jpg

The shroom / zoa combo and the gsp (3rd and 4th pics) were just added tonight, so they're a little ticked off

I also have a little xenia in here, but it's a little stressed out from being removed from the LR I just got. No pics, I'm too ashamed - Actually you can see the xenia in the first pic (on the left)

• 3 months later...

Love the tank. I just got my first Mantis about a week ago :D. Manny is a Haptosquilla stoliura. I want to get another one soon. I may have to to try and build my next tank. Keep it up!!

• 1 month later...
yankeereefer

Update -

Been working the last week on a hood for the Colonel's tank - Wired it up and fired it yesterday - 2x28w (1x10k and 1 actinic) - What a difference - The Colonel must like it too - He's been out more last night and this afternoon too

Rescaped it as well since last posting on this thread. The pretty plate coral (few post back) croaked - I have relocated the gorg to the mantis tank as well. Methinks it's on it's way out too.

Meanwhile my little frogspawn has taken off and I added a small hammer frag from a local last night.

Will post pics in a little bit - Camera batts are dead.

YR

yankeereefer

Pics are uploading to photobucket now - posting momentarily

Forgot to add - The mantis tank has a skimmer now too - Picked up a used Lee's Air Skimmer - Not too bad - The guy I got it from was moving away - He didn't care for it so much - Said it produced to wet of skimmate. He was filling the cup every 2 nights and only running it at night. I have been running it full time for almist a week and have produced about 1/3 of an inch of medium dark junk

Get this too - Found out today that my local LFS is selling a Blue Ring Octopus (~$69) - My local RC forum is tearing up this store (me included) - You have to sign a waiver or something if you're truly interested in buying it... Anyway pics in a minute

cant believe i JUST NOW saw this thread!! anyways i need more pictures you said you would have more yesterday!

comon!

yankeereefer

Pics I took came out kinda dark - I have to edit them or take more.

Spent this morning at a local's house. I bought a new RO/DI (Coralife 50gpd) system a couple weeks back - This guy offered to run my water through a battery of tests to see how well my system was working.

TDS results as follows:

Tap water = 203ppm

Post Carbon filter = 211ppm

Pre DI (after RO membrane) = 12ppm

After DI = 0ppm

Phosphates = 0

Nitrates = 0

Looks like my system is doing pretty good.

While he was testing we talked about my mantis tank - He said he had one a couple months back in his refugium - He moved some rocks to / from the fuge to the main display and the mantis became lost.

Down in his fish room, he has this tank setup BB with a couple chunks or LR. When you come out of the water room, you can't help but look at this BB tank - As I was coming out of it - I saw a green flash shoot into the LR - Turns out his mantis is still alive. He says the rock in the tank was cooked 2-3 weeks in the dark before being placed in the tank.

He says I can have him and I convinced my finacee to let me setup yet another tank. I now have another 5g that I added LR, new SW a heater and powerhead to temporarily. I'll get the mantis in a couple days - I think it's another wenn or a smithii

I'm gonna get some acrylic cut next week to build a corner overflow next week and setup a permanent 10g home for one of them.

Pics of the new hood and temp tank tomorrow - Promise!

Sorry the post is so long!

Yankee

Here's a link to the tank belonging to Jose who tested my water today - Oct 2005 TOM

His SPS has filled in nicely since this article. Get a load of his water processing setup - The frag tank in the pics is way overloaded now - He has to frag his frags!

travisurfer

wow, i wish i had a friend like that. unlimited frags AND a free mantis. i can't believe his quarantine setup is more reef-ready than my reef tank ;)

yankeereefer

later than planned but pics as promised:

homemade hood 2x28 + moonlights

DSC02944.jpg

Skimmate

DSC02942.jpg

FTS

DSC02951.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

hammer from a local

DSC02909.jpg

The lights in the hood sit about 5" over the water - Still going to put a piece of plexiglass into it. I found my hole drill bit tonight so I'll be cutting the sides for computer fans maybe tomorrow.

The rest of my pictures are kinda dark.

More later

Yankee

Archived