Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yankee Tank II

yankeereefer

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you are thinking straight. Yankee, I currently have a single 65w pc light that I will be up/downgrading to a dual T5NO light from coralife. It will then just be a MOWLR tank with the 7 hex being my macro-algae/reef tank. The 20H is a cool tank. Nice to work with. Check my tank thread to see how its setup.

I have a 25H that I love - it's currently home to rift lake cichlids though and I have no plans on switching it over to a reef tank.

yankeereefer

No mantis thread on pg 1???? Gotta fix that! c'mon argent, newb, surfer - Need updates!

I'm considering adding a small damsel into the 5.5g - I know that the tank is small and I know damsels are mean fish.

I'm adding the damsel because Pods are going nuts in my tank, hopefully the damsel can get to some of 'em before The Colonel gets to the damsel. I'm also trying add a little diversity to The Colonel's diet

I have several hermits still in the tank, but they seem more interested in tearing up the sargassum I added than the pods

Another other suggestion for pod control in a little tank?

Yankee

I posted a picture of Boris in action -- so far that's about as exciting as it gets -- if you check out my new post in the members aquariums - you'll find Natasha's new home.

yankeereefer

Update:

Added a sm damsel to the tank on Sunday - It's doing a pretty good job on the pods -

Quite the brave damsel too. It frequently goes into the cave in the front of the tank and then zips outta there when the Colonel comes around. The damsel and mantis have been within an inch or so each other and yet the Colonel doesn't appear to show much interest.

I've pulled the hermits from the 5.5g - They're now in a bucket with the recently aquired LR/LS for the 20H

That's about it!

YR

Congrats on the new mantis kmitch!

Pulled the sargassum today during w/c. It looked really cool, but was starting to get thrashed - Me thinks it was the crabs - Lot's of bit floating about the sand and at water surface.

The Colonel has been clicking away for the last day and a half - I didn't think there was anyplace left for him to excavate!

He's starting to express some interest in the damsel. He's made a few lunges at it when it swims by, but no luck getting him.

YR

Haven't updated in a while

Damsel's still alive although The Colonel has been expressing more interest in it.

Added another bunch of snails yesterday as I'm going out of town for a couple days on business - What is everyone doing for dealign with the empty shells?

I have been pulling out the ones I can see, but I think that my mantis is keeping them in his burrows. I don't necessarily want to move the LR if I don't have to. Should I wait and hope he decides to do housekeeping?

Also - He MOLTED! He disappeared for a day or so - Last night I was shining a mini maglite into the tunnel in the front of the tank and saw his molt in there. I alsoo caught a glimpse of him while he was pulling the molt further into the tunnel (I assume to eat/bury) -

From what I can tell, it appears that he has gone from the reddish brown he was to more of a green tone. Not really sure though as he hasn't really come out again since the molt.

It sux that I'm gonna be gone for a few days cuz I won't be able to see what colors he's really changed into (if at all) until I come home Wed night / Thurs.

I guess that's it - Any thoughts on the empty shell removal would be appreciated.

Yankee

here's a pic from before he molted (I was downloading my camera from a week or so ago. See new pics in the 10g thread and my goby pic submission for this month's contest):

DSC01917.jpg

He came out a little when I got home tonight, but not enought to verify his new colors or get any pix

YR

here's a link I came across this morning. Was looking for pix of a green wennerae (since mine won't come out all the way yet after molting) and found the article.

Some pretty neat pix and good reading. Good pix of raptoral appendages (for those who don't know (or haven't seen) the difference between smashers and spearers.

There's a short story in it about the article author's mantis - He shows a trap he built to catch his for relocation to another tank. he also shows what happens when you try and grab a mantis with your hands (ouch!!) I also found it interesting that his mantis was killed by a pistol shrimp (also possibly by poor acclimation process).

Lastly what I found amusing was the apparent abundance of mantis shrimp in Japan where they are eaten. The author has a pic with about 2 dozen or better in a pot on his stovetop! We have a hard time finding them here in the states and then pay (sometimes) $50 for a specimen! Nuts!

Anyways, enjoy the reading!

(Stupid question coming shortly)

Is that the mantis shrimp?

I have to admit that I am absolutely terrified of them after reading about broken fingers!

But I think it's a very nice tank--and your little guy certainly seems happy. :D

(Stupid question coming shortly)

Is that the mantis shrimp?

I have to admit that I am absolutely terrified of them after reading about broken fingers!

But I think it's a very nice tank--and your little guy certainly seems happy. :D

It is a mantis shrimp - I don't think that there's really anything to be afraid of - These guys have a bad rep but it's largely uncalled for.

My shrimp is probably only 2.5 inches long and won't get much larger than that - There are some larger ones that exist (and people keep) that may require a bit more caution, but still very easily maintained and highly entertaining!

YR

broken fingers? wow that's a new one -- maybe lacerated fingers -- but not broken.

Just stay away from the ones that get to be like 4+ inches and don't stick your hand in the tank without knowing right where the mantis is and you shouldn't have any problems -- I stick my hands in my mantis tanks all the time without any incidents.

I never posted new pix of The Colonel since his molt - Partly because he has been in hiding for the better part of a week. He's beginning to venture out again and has become more agressive towards the damsel.

Here's a couple of recent pix:

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

Enjoy!

Yankee

I'm a goofball - I originally posted these pix on my pico thread when I meant to do 'em here :P

Tank problems -

I think I may have a leak in the 5.5g

Have been noticing salt creep on the bottom front corner and adjacent side panel of the tank. I had been chalking it up to a sloppy w/c and from me not keeping my mitts out of the tank.

I also have to top off this tank quite a bit almost every / every other day (1/2-1 litre). When I add those two together (salt creep + crazy evap) - I think it equals a leak.

It's not enough to leave pools or puddles on the table the tank sits on, but I figure it's only a matter of time.

Can I just run a new bead of silicone around the whole base or should I just setup a new tank?

YR

Will post new pics tonight as well. The Colonel has gotten more comfy in his new threads and is showing himself more again.

It appears that the damsel may have met his fate

When I got home yesterday I noticed The Colonel was being particulary agressive to the damsel- He made several lunges at it as it would swim by - A couple times, the damsel would go into the mantis' burrow and the mantis would give chase. The damsel would always shoot out the other end of the burrow

I checked the tank before going to bed and the damsel is nowhere to be found! I shined a light into the burrow from the front of the tank and could see the Colonel's rear end a little bit.

I stuck a skewer into the tank, this usually will bring out the damsel and mantis, but noone came out! I then put the stick near a couple of the burrow openings - Normally this will prompt the Colonel to come out and give it a smack. Still nothing.

This morning when I got up I noticed that the burrow opening in the front of the tank has been sealed up - He doesn't usually do this - I'm thinking he's got the damsel stashed up in there - Given the circumstances, I doubt he's gone to molt again, it's only been a few weeks. I guess we'll see tonight!

His tank continues to build up salt creep around the base - I'm going to have to do something about that this weekend. My thougts are to pickup another 5.5g - I'm considering building a corner overflow (for skimming and to protect/hide heater) this time instead of doing the overflow on the side as in the current design. It'll have to be big enough to also put the AC20 intake.

I also thought about doing the false wall across the full length of the back as others have done, but I think this leaves too narrow of a display for the mantis.

Thoughts?

Here's a few pix:

DSC02000.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

Yankee

Archived