Pod Your Reef

Yankee Tank II

yankeereefer

yankeereefer

Here's the humble beginnings of my soon to be mantis tank -

std 5.5g tank w/partitioned overflow to hide my AC50 powerhead (270gph) used for return pump, heater, LR and chaeto

I'm picking up LR (5-6lbs) and LS (5lbs) on Sunday morning from a local guy that's taking down a reef tank. My mantis is on hold at the LFS (still unidentified) and I will probably bring it home Tuesday. LFS is closed on Monday. (yeah right, I bet I have him Sunday night)

Anyway, here's some startup pix

FTS

DSC01379.jpg

Side angle - That's Col. Reb in the background - Go 'Ole Miss!!

DSC01374.jpg

overflow area (added the foam filter to eliminate the trickle sound - I'd end up having to pee all night!)

DSC01378.jpg

Top view - Pretty good surface movement I think

DSC01381.jpg

overflow and return - The return is a "T" made for Rio pumps stuck into an an electrical conduit bulkhead (I know, I know, it's a little ghetto)

DSC01383.jpg

I wasn't sure how to gauge the depth for notching out the overflow teeth, so I winged it. The first 2 of 'em flow really well, hence the foam pad. The 3rd has a slight trickle and the 4th is about worthless - I'm debating dremeling out some more of the 3rd and 4th teeth, but not sure if I want to risk jacking up my silicone work. Seems to be flowing pretty good, so maybe I'll just leave it be.

Lights will be a modded perfecto hood w/PC screw in bulbs until I can find and procure another light fixture - I considering a coralife mini - I think they're what, 2x9w?? Something like that

Man, I can't wait to get the mantis - I have some hermits that are tearing up my xenia in the 10g - They're gonna get what's coming to 'em.

Thanks for much inspiration and knowledge to El Chupacabra, Argent, Echo-Bravo, TravisSurfer, et al the Nano Reef community

BTW: How many mantis keepers/threads does it take to warrant having a Mantis forum subsection setup? Seems that we are a growing part of the family here at NR.com

Thanks for looking! More posts Sunday after I get LR/LS and Mantis buddy!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tank, should be perfect for the new guy. I love the look of that i may have to do that to the spare 10 i have laying around so when i finally get a mantis that i can depend on growing lol. that will be its new abode.

ah look at that 1,000 posts

nice tank -- tagging along for fun and inspiration for my mantis tank (still not sure if I'll stick with my 3 gallon eclipse or if I'll move to another 5.5G glass tank)

Oh and the coralife mini is 18w (9w 10K and 9w Actinic) it just happens to be what I'm lighting my mantis tank with :P

yankeereefer
Nice tank, should be perfect for the new guy. I love the look of that i may have to do that to the spare 10 i have laying around so when i finally get a mantis that i can depend on growing lol. that will be its new abode.

ah look at that 1,000 posts

Thanks 'newb! We're all pulling for you-

I saw the 999 a little bit ago - Thanks for making me 1k! :lol:

So where's trasvissurfer?? I figured he'd be all over any thread w/Mantis in the title - My feelings are a little hurt... :D

I use the coralife 18w light also, got the freshwater by accident, now i need to find myself a 9w actinic bulb.

<----hehehe

yankeereefer

So I couldn't quit screwing around...

I was looking on the web for that coralife and then it hit me..

If I took a 16" perfecto hood and adapted it to accept another light socket I could come up with this:

DSC01398.jpg

Left side is sylvania daylight extra 13w 6500k and the right side is a coralife 10w 50/50 - Whaddaya think? Will this be enough for xenia, shrooms and zoos? That's really probably all I will put into the mantis tank (besides the mantis, duh!)

I'm running the fixture w/13w 6500k over my AC fuge on the 10g - The side with the 50/50 is what was left over as a result of the original mod.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap, another perfecto hood would only be $7 and another 13w is $6 vs. ~$30 for the coralife? I dunno :huh:

And please remember I'm leak testing right now, the sticky glue stuff on back wall, finger prints and powerhead gunk (on bootom of tank) will be taken care of before filling with the real stuff.

yankeereefer

here's another shot. this time the 13w / 6500k was swapped out for a 2nd 10w 50/50 - I think it's a little blue. The other pic (above) looked a little yellow on the 6500k side - Aaaaaargh!!

DSC01400.jpg

Argent - Didn't someone offer you a AC on another thread?

yankeereefer
I like the bluer look

Really? Either way I go, do you suppose it'll be ok enuff to support the zoa, shroom and xenia's needs? I guess I'll just play around with it once I get it settled in - You can bet I will have pix for y'alls input!

As for the AC - I can't recall where or who it was (or even if it was you that was looking at the time) - I do remember answering the post stating that I had thought at the time fifty50 had one in the classifieds

shivametimbas

looks good, i like the DIY work. i also like the second light choice. you might get better coral growth with the first though. i think it'll just depend on what you are going for. great job so far. the false wall is sweet and the returns are kickin.

the 4th overflow notch might/should help with surface skimming.

travisurfer

Hey dont worry, I didnt forget. I was out of the house for awhile. Your tank is freaking awesome! How much did the divide cost you in total? The lighting looks a lot better with the two 10w coralifes. I will definately be following this one. And just for the record, I founded the mantis cult. Oh, and reefinnewb, wait till you get to 3,000. Then you realize how much time you have really wasted(or not :D). Be sure to keep us posted. Are you going to do chaeto in the display or the area on the left? I think some kind of macro in the display would be cooler. B)

yankeereefer

thanks shivametimbas

The tank's primarily to keep the mantis happy, so I'm not going to invest heavily in corals for this one.

Regarding the overflows - The first two move alot of water and keeps the level just at/below the 4th notch - I might take the chance and grind the 3rd and 4th down a little more - Problem is that the .25" acrylic is thick! I'm worried about vibrating the wall loose

travisurfer
Hey dont worry, I didnt forget. I was out of the house for awhile. Your tank is freaking awesome! How much did the divide cost you in total? The lighting looks a lot better with the two 10w coralifes. I will definately be following this one. And just for the record, I founded the mantis cult. Oh, and reefinnewb, wait till you get to 3,000. Then you realize how much time you have really wasted(or not :D). Be sure to keep us posted. Are you going to do chaeto in the display or the area on the left? I think some kind of macro in the display would be cooler. B)

:happy:

Archived