ReefCleaners.org

Yankee Tank II

yankeereefer

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little update, im getting my mantis tomorrow morning, i called ups and had them hold the package for me. So first thing tomorrow morning im going to pick it up.

yankeereefer
I got him, ill take pictures later.

I was just getting ready to post and harass you for another update! Will check your thread

yankeereefer

Water changes done this morning -

The Colonel has burrowed the heck outta his tank - He's got hidey holes everywhere beneath the LR

Oddly enough, he's pretty quiet - I've only heard his clicking on one occasion thus far. He's smacked the kabob stick a few times when I had it in there moving stuff around - I bet it would hurt to get whacked by him.

Going to get some snails for him today. The astrea I put in there the other day is nowhere visible. I'm guessing the Colonel ate him. Do mantis hide their garbage? Is the snail's shell possibly in his burrow?

The LFS I'm headed to has got some sargassum in his frag tank - I'm gonna see if I can get the dude to part with some. I think it would look pretty cool in the 5.5g.

More later

Nice. Here we go:

Selcon helps get the mantis to eat and provides vital nutrients that prevent many probs.

Dont push the hermits. The last think you need is your mantis molting and then getting eaten by the hermits.

Get better pics. :)

addam4208283

thanks for the info. the ones that are sold int he lps near me i am not sure what kind they are.

i am going to have to look into it,

adam

yankeereefer

Good thinking and advice on the hermits, Trav - I think I'll be taking the back to the LFS

Here's a FTS after I added the snails and sargassum:

DSC01589.jpg

Some misc shots of The Colonel, he's making himself more visible -

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01612.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01636.jpg

Yankee

Nice -- Boris hasn't come out of his cave yet to wander around the tank (at least not when I'm watching at least)

Great pics!

yankeereefer

The Colonel's become quite the excavator!

I'm getting leery about sticking my fingers in there anymore cuz I don't know which tunnel he's gonna pop out of.

I'm gonna run by Petco on the way home to see if they're doing the $1/gallon tank sale -

I'm thinking of moving my 10g to a 15g, 16g bow or 20g std - I'll maybe have to practice drilling glass and use the 10g as a sump -

I'm leaning towards the 16g bow, but I don't think the orbit fixture will fit it and I don't want to spend cash on more lights. I've been looking at the 70w MH setup in the DIY section - Would that work / be enough to penetrate the depth on a 16g? I'd also likely have to supplement w/actinics, yes? The orbit could then become my sump lighting...

yankeereefer

someone should be proud of me. :D

I went to 2 different Deathcos looking for the 33g oceanic before finding one- I contemplated coming home with it but resisted the urge.

I would need all new lighting, more rock, sand, filters, blah, blah, blah.

I also looked at a 20H - Almost came home with it too. I wasn't sure how well the 20" orbit would light it though so it is still sitting at the store.

I decided that I'm gonna sink whatever I would have spent there (and as a result of new tank purchase) on my 2 existing reefs (10g and 5.5g).

That trip to the LFS took a lot of self control - I almost never come away from the LFS empty handed.

Phewww - I'm glad that's over.

Yankee

yankeereefer

self control dude - Sure it was $33, but then I'd have to shell out a bunch more money to outfit and stock it - I'd rather spend my cash on making the 2 tanks I have better.

I woulda saved a hundred bucks, but probably spend another $500 (at least) to get it together - To me it doesn't add up - $500 more into my 10g and 5.5g will make some pretty sweet tanks I think

yankeereefer

man, you guys are tough!

To be truthful, I was just looking at my 10g and thought, "I guess a 20H would work..."

I know Trav's tank is a 20H - Travis, I forget, what're you lighting with?

The 20H i was looking at was 24" wide - I think the orbit's legs will cover it. The AC110 should work too. I will probably have to switch out PH's and go with the larger one I've been using to mix water though.

Oh dear, now look what you folks have gone and done. I may be heading out tomorrow for a 20H

Remind me to not post here if I ever decide to give up drinking and think that it's smart to ask for your "atta-boys" :P

YR

Argent - How was the race?

Race was fun - I got sunburnt something harsh though - it was a looong day - up at 5am home by 10pm

Oh and I'm still gonna troll PetCo for a 33 cube just in case -- maybe my 5.5 and 3 and 6 will all get mixed together and tossed in there!

or maybe I'll just hold on to it for the future.

yankeereefer

>caving in to peer pressure> OK already! It looks like I'm going back for both 20H and 33g cube - I just put 'em both on hold till tomorrow night-

I'm so weak :(

Archived