Pod Your Reef

Cheap frag plugs from Lowes.

The Propagator

The Propagator

That's why I think I said to take a small plug with you and test it before you bought the egg crate because size varies from batch to batch on the egg crate. ;)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any suggestions for getting the glue off the bottom of the tiles. I was using sandpaper to get it off on some, wanted to se if there was an easier way

Just a heads up for Canadians. Finally, we get a better deal:

Rona has these tiles, they're all white, a little porous, travertine (marble), and they're cheaper than the ones at Lowes. $10.50 per sheet.

That's why I think I said to take a small plug with you and test it before you bought the egg crate because size varies from batch to batch on the egg crate. ;)

unfortunately, they are too small for the rack from mag-racks.com. oh well, i just bought the larger ones and they are fine for my purposes.

any suggestions for getting the glue off the bottom of the tiles. I was using sandpaper to get it off on some, wanted to se if there was an easier way

i don't even bother taking the glue off and i haven't noticed a problem in the 6+ months i've been using them. i only have around 20 or so in my tank though, so it may be a problem if you use a lot more.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent Idea!

I was going to do the paper cup/concrete method, bus is yet again, even easier/cheaper!

Good find, thanks for sharing... 2 years ago LOL.

• 4 months later...

I manged to find this stuff (finally)

Steps on how to clean.

1: Soak them in boiling water - The glue will soften and the tiles will fall off from mesh

2: While they are still hot, pickup a tile and wipe off the glue. A single swipe should be sufficient

3: Give the tiles a bath in vinegar and this should clean up any left over glue residue - You will notice the tiles bubbling like crazy and after an hour the surface will be full of scum. I let mine soak for 4 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

hah, just come to my lowes, i unload the truck (great part time job) ill break a whole pallet for you with the forklift then you will have lifetime supply :) , great idea by the way

hah, just come to my lowes, i unload the truck (great part time job) ill break a whole pallet for you with the forklift then you will have lifetime supply :) , great idea by the way

wait a minute, is this a canadian lowes???? lol, freebies pwn!

I just do a quick swirl on a sheet of 60-grit sandpaper and most of the glue comes right off. No matter how reef safe it is, I'd still rather just have both sides free of glue.

The Propagator

Answered. :D

Your welcome guys !

I take more information from you then I give believe me :lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Carlton'sTank
so i want to get the sheet of little white tiles from lowes? is there a specific name to the ones you guys got? travertine? ?

I think they are called tumbled marble. It will say on the back somewhere. I have used different plugs, but the lowe's tiles are definitely the best for your buck, the only problem is that they are a bit heavy.

Archived