Pod Your Reef

Cheap frag plugs from Lowes.

The Propagator

Supposedly the white is (almost?) pure calcium based, while any other color or color-vein is due impurities or other minerals. Some of which could be bad, but you'd never know unless it was tested.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use broken seashells, never thought of using tiles. Worried though because it might affect a nano more than a larger tank. Silica is bad for your tank, right?

I use this also, though I am wondering is there is any upside or downside to the fact that marble is not porous compared to aragonite frag plugs which are porous. marble is one of the least porous of all natural stones.

one upside is I am able to scrape off the coral (zoa) easily from the tile when I wanted to move the coral directly to the LR.

I thought this was a great idea and put lots of frags on them, but when I traded a bunch to the lfs, they had a harder time selling them on the square tiles. Even round ones were better for some reason. The work fine for zoanthids when they grow to the point where you can't see the tile but I think I'll stick to the baby bottle nipple molded plugs I've been making. I also found that at lest some of the marble tiles seemed to promote algae growth more than the aragonite plugs. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

ScottyReef/Prop,

I went to Lowes/HD and found the marble squares. I found 5/8th" and 1" squares on a mesh. They are called tumbled marble. But there's very few white ones. Are the ones you are using white? I thought the colored ones have impurities in them. If you have a stock # of what you guys used, that would be helpful and I will know for sure which ones you guys are using.

Thanks!

Those are exactly the ones I saw at Lowe's yesterday. They are really tiny. I'll try them out.

I was at Meijer a few days and they had a bag of white marble chips on clearance for 32 cents. This bag weights 20 pounds. I bought the bag. They are very white with some chaulkiness to it. I know someone has tried marble chips. Do they work well? These would need to be washed thoroughly to get rid of the chaulk if I were to try it. I do not see any other colors in the chips. Which leads me to believe this is fairly pure marble.

I use this also, though I am wondering is there is any upside or downside to the fact that marble is not porous compared to aragonite frag plugs which are porous. marble is one of the least porous of all natural stones.

one upside is I am able to scrape off the coral (zoa) easily from the tile when I wanted to move the coral directly to the LR.

Yes I bought the 2" honed squares to put my mother colonies on in my frag tank this week. I was hoping it will be really easy to move them to LR or Marble chips prior to sell.

Thanks prop for the tip on these stones.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you could score and shape the tiles with a knife or file? the edges or corners is you want to sell them. Just a thought and i think i'll be using these when my monti starts getting big and strong :P

The Propagator
these marble squares are great and they fit great into egg craate

IMG_1159.jpg

Yeah I started using those almost a year after I started using the larger tiles.

Now those and ceramic plugs are all I use for zoa's and sps frag.

I use the larger ones for small colonies, and leathers.

I have a 14 inch green digitata colony mounted. healthy and growing strong on ONE of those small tiles actually. Its nuts ! Looks like a fat woman with one tiny leg :lol:

They sure do save a lot of space don't they !

I held off on telling any one about them because every time I get a good idea some one try selling it. The plugs I told about here ( larger tiles) a local LFS is selling now !

Can you believe that shiat ! He buys the same ones form the same place and picks out all the white ones. for resale and uses the off colored for growing out. Problem is he sells them for roughly 4 times what they cost you at Lowes !

Disgusts me honestly. I mean shiat man it woul dbe one thing if he were making them like firring ceramic or something ya know. But how would you feel if you were one of his comstomers and purchased them then visited Lowes to pick up some grout and saw a whol 144 peice matt for $13.99 when you just paid $30.00 for 50 of them ?

It takes all kinds I guess..

its about making a fast buck only for a lot of people. I dont think the reef gods will smile when he could have just said where he got them...

well that really shysty that a LFS would do that. I went to a LFS in Charleston WV were there ### discs were made from plaster of paris i dont know if thats reef safe but i dont want to try it

The Propagator

Are you serious?

Plaster will DEFINITELY dissolve in water LOL ! Even if they are coated they will eventually break down and one day your tank will be flooded with milky white.

yeap

Proof I had to buy one to show everyone, it was $1. well i my not be plaster but it is powdery so it anyone guess

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

well i have rinsed it and after it drys there still is a bit of a residue i cant strape it in with my finger nail but it will come off little by little with a knife

i wouldn't risk it, even if you had it in for a week with not much action you could see them all fall apart and soil yer tank when you got home.

The Propagator

Well unless ceramic is glazed you will be able to scrape it off fairly easily if its fired or not.

So that's no worry really. I would place one in a bowl of old SW for a day or two and see if it softens or starts "milking" LOL !

Here's a pic of two different sizes found at Lowes

top is 5/8x5/8 and bottom is 1x1.

i bought the 5/8x5/8 and they fell right through my eggcrate from Lowes. i think prop said that HD eggcrate is smaller though, fwiw...

i had the same problem when i made my prop tank and all i did was super glue some pond netting to the bottom of the egg crate

Archived