Cultivated Reef

Cheap frag plugs from Lowes.

The Propagator

The Propagator

They are just marble square tiles that are mounted on a fiber net backing.

You find them in the tile section.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like you got these things all tested out. nice cheap way...plus you don't have to have these shipped either. i may just have to switch.

xoxo

They are just marble square tiles that are mounted on a fiber net backing.

You find them in the tile section.

Would love to get my hands on this one!

The Propagator

Pm sent ENraged. ;)

looks like you got these things all tested out. nice cheap way...plus you don't have to have these shipped either. i may just have to switch.

xoxo

Yup :)

They are doing great!

The ones I have sps mounted on are doing great too!

Excellent growth so far and its only been two weeks!

My sps grow rapidly anyways though ( probably close to 1/8" or so a week) but there has definately been no adverse effects frm using them.

Pm sent ENraged. ;)

Yup :)

They are doing great!

The ones I have sps mounted on are doing great too!

Excellent growth so far and its only been two weeks!

My sps grow rapidly anyways though ( probably close to 1/8" or so a week) but there has definately been no adverse effects frm using them.

I thought I was the only one with super SPS growth! LOL

The Propagator

Negative.

I am seeing huge growth rates now too.

And the REALY wierd part is I havent performed a water change in the many months its been up as a reef system LOL!

I just use essential ellements, reef plus and calcium addetives, with some iodine and top off water.

I thought I would see how long I could go and still keep things growing and healthy.

All parameters are in check.

As the have been since it cycled.

I know all the minute warning signs with out checking my parameters though so thats a BIG help. Knowing whatto look for is EMENSLY important.

Test kits can be wrong but the corals will let you know right away somthings fooked up as long as you keep an eye on them.

DOnt get me wrong I still test every week. :)

I just know the little tell tale signs to look for.

(After 20 plus years of trial and error I ought too LOL!!!)

My nick name used to be crash! LOL!!

Negative.

I am seeing huge growth rates now too.

And the REALY wierd part is I havent performed a water change in the many months its been up as a reef system LOL!

I just use essential ellements, reef plus and calcium addetives, with some iodine and top off water.

I thought I would see how long I could go and still keep things growing and healthy.

All parameters are in check.

As the have been since it cycled.

I know all the minute warning signs with out checking my parameters though so thats a BIG help. Knowing whatto look for is EMENSLY important.

Test kits can be wrong but the corals will let you know right away somthings fooked up as long as you keep an eye on them.

DOnt get me wrong I still test every week. :)

I just know the little tell tale signs to look for.

(After 20 plus years of trial and error I ought too LOL!!!)

My nick name used to be crash! LOL!!

My last water change was like a month ago...LOL I havent tested since last year....too lazy

holy crap i think i'm gonna have to show these to my boss. we've been trying to figure out cheap and easy ways to propagate frags, and i think these would sit nicely in our coral-sell tanks so we don't have to set up a propagation tank (long story... old owner didn't know squat about coral or anything, and the store was poorly designed to support any propagation efforts or even sell coral, haha, new owner has fixed the display aspect, but we have no room for prop tanks).

The best mount for SPS and LPS would definantly have to be base marble. You can get it in slats (2in.x2in.x4ft.) at Lowes. Marble is calcium carbonate which is the exact same thing that LPS and SPS skeletons are made from.

Picked up that tip from Eric Bornman.

BTW, I am going to have to try this no water change thing. I also know the tell tale signs that something is bad about to happen (less PE, algae blooms etcetera...). I dose Ca and pH/Alk buffer daily when I can remember.

The Propagator

Yup. I should menton that my live rock, and all the substrate I used were over 5 years old and some of it as old as 10 before I set my prop tank up.

Little to no algae blooms ( save for som ebryopsis I accidently imported in !!! ARRRGGGGG!!!!!)

After two weeks it was as stable as my tanks that have been up for years.

Please guys dont try the no water change thing if your tank is smaller than 40-29g. your risks are much GREATER than mine as I have a total volume almost triple that.

My live rock is 10+ years old also and the sand is about 2 years old my tank is super stable its amazing...I do have 180-200 lbs of rock in my 60 cube system though thats probably why

• 4 weeks later...

Was in HD picking up some things & found a big bag of crushed white marble for only about $3. Most of it was all white, so barely any impurities. Would most likely make for great frag "rubble", and would look more natural than tiles or plugs.

In Borneman's prop vid he talks about how he's found that corals encrust calcium based frag plugs better than other media. He even chops up some piece of white marble (other colors contain unwanted stuff). I've seen marble tile, but do they make it in the smaller versions? Hrm...

Can anyone point me to the Borneman video? A search turned up zilch.

Thanks,

Brian

Propagator,

I just want to thank you for finding these cheaper for me. I was using the ones they sell at HD. It was 20 for about $4. Just went to Lowes and got 144 for $13. Awsome deal. And yeah these thing are great. I've had no problems in my main tank and my prop tank.

The Propagator

Happy to help !!!

The local retailers around here love me now too LOL!

I have had to bow them off a few times though.

When you place them space them apart about a 1/2" so that current can flow all around them.

( Thats why I had to blow them off ! DOUGH!!!! )

Yeah, think I'll pick up a bag of the crushed marble next time I'm up. $3 isn't much to give it a try. Some of the bags had some black specs in the rocks, but most were all white.

Archived