SaltCritters.com

New crocea clam looking BAD! Help!

Eggplant!

Okay, so I picked up a small Crocea clam five days ago, and hes been doing wonderfully. Until today. Today, the clam is pulling back into it's shell and sort of pulling away from the edges. It looks terrible. What has me so shocked is how fast it seems to be dying. My water seems damn near perfect, and nothing else in the tank is having issues.

One thing that has me nervous is that the last thing I did in the tank yesterday was use some cyanoacrylate type super glue to fix some zoas to a rock in the tank. Do you think this may have affected the clam?

My tank specs:

24 gallon w/ 75W MH lighting.

pH: 8.12

temp: 78.1 F

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

SG: 1.024

KH: 10 dGH

Calcium: 440 ppm

I had it on the sand for a few days while I figured out which rock to place it on. Heres a few pics of it YESTERDAY:

CIMG3374.thumbnail.JPG

CIMG3356.thumbnail.JPG

And heres a pic of it this evening. I moved it up onto the rocks to get it closer to the lights:

CIMG3378.thumbnail.JPG

audiocontrol

I would say that clam looked a little iffy from the beginning. But I dont think there is much hope for it as of now. The gel would not have affected the clam unless you got some glue into it. I have a clam and have even super glued underwater multiple times. I would honestly pull the clam out before it fouls up the tank.

i've had some experience with clams and from what you've said about your water being excellent and having the correct lighting, it seems you got a sick clam. i don't really know what else to tell you. there's nothing i can think of, within the perameters you specified, that can kill a clam that quickly unless it was already sick to begin with with something it caught at the LFS. IMO, i would take it back to the LFS and tell them it had to have been sick when you bought it. 5 days should still be well within the replacement period. good luck!

Solarflare8806

did you aclimate it to your lighting? try moving it down. Sometimes dealers use less than adequate lighting to cut on costs figuring that the aquarist will have better. you have 75 watts of MH this might be too much and a shock to it..........or its just sick. just my thoughts.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Well, needless to say, the clam died shortly after this photo. Based on input from others, I honestly think it was sick and I was just too inexperienced to spot it in the store.

I've kept close tabs on my water quality and other livestock since and everything is doing extremely well.

Archived