Pod Your Reef

Project S.M.M.O.A.T.G.

zachxlutz

if the tank was a constant 78 with regular swings of 80- id say thats not bad at all. Tanks dont have to be exactly 80 degrees all of the time. It gets bad when the temp swings are big and sudden. My tank swings around quite a bit, but on a regular basis- my hammer has never had any problems because of this.

Well... The tank was sitting at close to 72-73 degrees for who knows how long. I had to crank my heater up to get it up to 78-80.

The temperature swings that myself and gmcallis are talking about it is it being at 73... so maybe that did it?

Any comments on 10, 11 or 12 hour light cycles?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without knowing exactly what temperature hammers like, I can't say for a fact that is what did it. But I'm going to assume almost 100% the stress from bagging at the LFS, coming into a cold tank and not having enough light just sent the little guy into a downward spiral it couldn't recover from.

Should have better luck with take two!

Love the color of your lemnalia. Really adds something to your aquascape.

Cheers

Thanks gm. I hope I do have better luck, I'm pretty sure I will. Everything seems fine in the tank now, so I'm not too afraid to put more in it.

Thanks for the comment about the lemnalia, I bought that coral not knowing too much about them and I'm glad it is working out well in my tank. I can tell it LOVES the new light.

I got a WHOLE bunch of new coral last night....

I'll post some pictures later when everything opens up if I can.

Peaceeeee

UPDATE:

As promised I have pictures of my new coral, sorry the pictures suck. I just CAN'T get my kodak easyshare to take clear pictures. I might try the magnifying glass trick, if I can find one around the house. OK, now on to the pictures.

rock of zoas:

100_0214.jpg

100_0215.jpg

hammer, to replace the one I lost:

100_0218.jpg

hungry candy cane:

100_0216.jpg

hammer, i think? maybe frogspawn... I can't tell:

100_0219.jpg

frogspawn:

100_0220.jpg

small zoa frag, really awesome coloration:

100_0221.jpg

orange monti:

100_0226.jpg

brown monti:

100_0227.jpg

FTS:

100_0212.jpg

Sorry those pictures suck so bad!

I've heard that the moon lights should be turned off sometime during the night. The reef needs a period of complete darkness.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Can anyone else vouch for this?

hmmm... I wonder if i should just run the moon lights for an hour or two after the main lights go out and then an hour or two before the main lights come on?

So I am running open top right now and I'm getting A LOT of evaporation. Rather than building a ATO or purchasing one I'm thinking about just cutting out a nice piece of acrylic to put on top of my tank. I'll drill several holes around it to help with heat and allow for feeding although I don't think heat will be a problem as I have a hard time keeping this tank warm enough as it is. Will oxygen exchange at the surface be a problem if I'm running a closed top set up?

Any concerns? Or things to look out for?

Any ideas on the lighting as well? Moonlights on 24/7 or should I cut them off after an hour or two?

The only bad thing about putting a peice of acrlyic or something up there is it will get really bad saltkreep all over it, worse than your lights are getting. And with the price of acrlyic being about 20 bucks for like a 12x20 or so peice its about the same to just build one.

I already have enough acrylic to make it... I would rather have to clean a piece of acrylic off every couple days, rather than fill my tank up with a 1/4 gallon every day.

Busy this week? I might stop by sometime if you don't mind and get that GSP and that iodine from you. Are you going to the ARC meeting on sept. 12?

Yeah I would say an hour or two of moonlight before and after your light cycle would do the trick.

Thanks, that is what I have decided on doing. I appreciate the info. :)

Hey Xlutz,

Have you thought about a glass top for your evap. problem. Aquabuys sells them for 7 or 8 bucks. They're easier to clean than acrylic because they're harder to scratch. Less scratch=more light!

Just a thought.

Z

Hey Xlutz,

Have you thought about a glass top for your evap. problem. Aquabuys sells them for 7 or 8 bucks. They're easier to clean than acrylic because they're harder to scratch. Less scratch=more light!

Just a thought.

Z

Yeah, I have considered the glass top, but it has a crazy strip in the center of it. I don't want to lose any light to the strip. I'd rather have a super nice, fitted, and vented acrylic top.

UPDATE:

I'm running a dose of chemiclean to try and clear up my cyano problem. I have pictures to prove. hah.

100_0228.jpg

100_0232.jpg

100_0233.jpg

That cyano on this lemnalia has to go. Every time I blow it off it comes back. It ends tonight.

The genius that I am:

100_0229.jpg

100_0231.jpg

Yeah, that's my magfloat holding that airstone on there. No biggie.

Can anyone help me ID these zoas?

100_0244.jpg

100_0243.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes?

100_0238.jpg

100_0240.jpg

I thought these were Dragon Eyes, but they have a purple center... Any ideas?

Just a shot I thought was neat:

100_0242.jpg

Thanks a ton Pillz. I must have looked over the eagle eyes on zoaid.com. I think I'm gonna try and set up a 40 breeder. Know of any that are for sale?

@ zachxlutz is chemi clean still on the market ? in germany they took it out, some kind of antibiotic was found (erythromycins), and that is with prescription only, at least in germany :huh:

Pillz:

I think I might stop by your place tonight, you'll probably get a call from me before you read this though. so yeah.

soenke:

Yeah, It is still available here in the States, although I'm not having any luck with it working.

I'll post a summary of it tomorrow, most likely.

Hey have you tried more water flow? I rid my tank without chemicals of red slime that way..just remove as much as you can then keep the flow going till it goes away..I was told that stagnant areas tend to breed it bad .Also make sure its not hidden in other places you cant see it.

good luck

Shauna

Archived