Top Shelf Aquatics

Ok its time for me try my hand at a pico

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gotboostedvr6

ill have some 35 watt MH retrofit setups for sale soon 8k, mabe 9200k, 10k and 12k.

pricing will be around $114-$118 ready to plug in!!!

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

How big is the fixture and bulb? can they be reduced in size by taking off a reflector or something?would it be able to be crammed inside one of those nice decorative pendants that you can buy from home depot?

here is an example of what i am talking about...they do have all different sizes and styles but something along these lines...

718212270103_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
15-and-6-GAL-NANO

I finally was able to catch a descent pic of this guy, he crawled into this shell about a week or so ago and i have been trying to catch him in the open...Dont mind the darkening around him i used photoshop to take the reflection of my camera out so it didnt look that bad.

hermitANDshroom.jpg

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

just wait till you see the overflow im building... I am building it right now and taking lots of pictures, I will be ready to post tomorrow. I am changing everything into a 2.5 gal AGA with a built in overflow box because i am sick of scratching the acrylic when i try to get the coraline off.

I am also building a hood for it with 3 20w coralife 50/50 mogul base bulbs. I think 60w total should be enough for a 2.5 gal :)

The 9" one on the right

• 3 weeks later...
15-and-6-GAL-NANO

Ok i started building the overflow for my 2.5 gallon I molded the acryllic with a heatgun and i nailed a few 2x4's together so that i could get perfectly strait curves. Here are a few pics of me building it.

mold3.jpg

mold2.jpg

mold4.jpg

mold5.jpg

mold1.jpg

And here is the gluing and silicone process.

ovrflw1.jpg

ovrflw2.jpg

ovrflw3.jpg

I guess i forgot to take pics of the inside part...I just bent a 2.5 inch piece of acryllic in half and put it in the corner and i drilled a ton of holes in the top down to the point that i dont want the water to get below.

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

And here is a pic of the tank with everything all siliconed in there and a hole drilled in the bottom for the return tube:

33.jpg

43.jpg

210.jpg

16.jpg

51.jpg

61.jpg

I am working on the lights tonight. I bought a 18 total watt coralife 6 inch thing with the ballast built in and i took it apart and spread out the bulbs and made room for another 13 watt 50/50 bulb so I will have 9w actenic 9w 10000k and 13w 50/50 on top I will also add a small powerfilter for flow but thats it. I am just going to switch everything that i have in my 2 gallon into this one and probably make the 2 gallon a mushroom tank of something. or a fuge for another tank im not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...
15-and-6-GAL-NANO

Wow- I go on vacation for 10 days and come back and nobody has posted anything in my thread... :( man i guess my tank sucks. Oh well ill keep posting pics of it with coral in it anyways.

Picture_0352.jpg

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

Yea i had a firefish in there but the second i dropped him in my shrimp grabbed him and disappeared the neon goby seems to be quick enough to get away.

Just read your whole thread and let me tell you that you have one really nice tank and I love the diversity of corals that you put into, looks absolutly amazing. I was thinking about doing a 5.5 Gal myself, hopefully it will turn out as nice as yours. Keep it up and post more pics!!

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

I just started a 5.5 gal last night I will start a thread and put some pics up. It is going to have a built in fuge by the way of putting a false wall and some baffles in to promote better flow from inlet to outlet... I just got done making a 10 gallon the same way but im just going to keep a mantis in it so im not going to go crazy on lights and corals. Thanks for the encouragement! B)

Hows the tank doing? It was a inspiration for me to start a 2.5G! I was just amazed at how well yours turned out. Great job!

texx

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

Its still going well, since the last pic I have added another 18 watts of light, birds nest acropora, blastomus welsi, and some shield of god (pink metallic long tentacle) zoanthids. and a tiny piece of macro. Ill have some new pics up as soon as everything has opened up.

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

I just put a tiny chili coral, yellow gorgonian, and a lord coral that is purple blue and red...Pics still to come. (I AM ALMOST OUT OF ROOM!!!!!) :::maybe I should have gotten a 5 gallon. :angry:

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

Thanks man, Yesterday I put a montipora another acro another blasto and some more zoanthids....I got a second job at a pet store so that now I can frag anything I want, but the store that I work at doesnt have anything cool so I have to talk to the guy that orders and have him get some cool stuff.

P.S. Im still too lazy to get any new pics up because I now work 7 days a week almost 70 hours per week and im dead when I get home. but I promise new pics within this week. and I guess I should change my avatar.

Don't get bummed when no one responds, you have a nice tank going. I lost track of your lighting, what do you have going now? Are you still using the 20w coralifes? How about heat troubles, did that get better?

Keep the updates coming,You've inspired me to start a 2.5 for my desk at work.

Archived