SaltCritters.com

Fewskillz' 46 gallon bowfront

fewskillz

Here's a thread on RC of somebody's DIY canopy for a 46g. I've thought about making one for mine, but never got around to it.

DIY Canopy

Mel

The lawnmower blenny will run out of food (algae) in such a small tank so you might want to buy some algae sheets and try to get him to eat them...

Tank is looking really good

Mine has been in my 46g for over 2 years. I occasionaly put a piece of Nori in the tank, but mostly he eats the algae in the tank or my fish mush. The Coral Beauty likes the nori more than the Lawnmower does though. :huh:

Granted I'm not running a fuge on that tank, so I do have more algae on the glass than if I ran a fuge.

Mel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No changes, everyone is doing well. I'll put up a FTS later tonight after I run the magfloat across the glass and get my tripod from my parents house.

here ya go!

Lawnmower Blenny:

IMG_2135.jpg

blurry pygmy Cherub Angel (he's quick and didn't bother changing settings):

IMG_2131.jpg

my ocellaris pair:

IMG_2145.jpg

and FTS:

IMG_2115.jpg

here's my new cichlids, just to show them off somewhere: 9 yellow labs and 5 kenyi's

IMG_2180.jpg

Thanks! I'm really enjoying this tank. I have my recliner set so that at full recline I look to my right and have a straight on, eye-level view of the tank. I watch it more than the TV.

Sweet pics man!!! :)

I just setup my 46g today! :D Its awesome!

I love cichlids! But had to sell my 12 Pseudotrphoeus Saulosi to turn their tank SW :( Id watch out wiht Kenyii... VERY fiesty. And even in a 55g tank, they will sort eachother out VERY easily... sometimes to easy and you loose a few. If i were you, id get demasoni. They are fiestier than kenyii, but are much colourful, only grow 4", however are $19.99 per fish :( lol. Anyways, best of luck with the tank! It looks awesome, im excited about the 55g, but watch the aggression ;)

Flick

Thanks for the warning on the Kenyi's. I've read they can be pretty fiesty. So far I think I've got 2 males and 3 females. I plan on getting rid of one of the males and trying to find another female or 2. If I get rid of the kenyi's altogether I think I might go with socolofi's, but I'm not sure yet. Thanks for the compliments, good luck with your bowfront!

• 2 weeks later...
Man, that looks really nice. I have a 46g bow sitting in the basement. *sigh*

Thanks! I love bowfronts, they're great looking tanks.

Flick, it'll be 7 months old before you realize it!

Looks amazing man! Mine is about 6 months old now(8 if you count the 2 months it spent as a 15G hex before I moved it into the 46)

How many pounds of rock do you have in there? I've got nearly 50 in mine and it's empty compared to that!

fts4.jpg

Oh and here are a couple shots of my top if you are looking for ideas..

Canopy2.jpg

topfinished.jpg

Canopy.jpg

lightrepair.jpg

I think its around 80 lbs of LR, but it's all very good porous, light weight rock. Completely packed in (- the handful of pieces with coral attached) it filled up a 20 gallon keg tub when we were transporting it. Plus it's stacked vertically, so you see pretty much every piece. I'll take some pictures from each side and from the top this weekend for some perspective. Your tank looks nice. I really like your hood.

How fabulous!!!! :)

I miss my labidochromis'!!! I want mine backk! lol. Such a nice tank! If you want them to spawn, put a peice of slate in some caves ;) They need a flat surface to lay and fertilize eggies!!! :D My cichlids (labidochromis) had their first batch of fry whrn the female was about 2.4" long :) And to me, it looks like you have old enough females ;)

Flick :)

in the bowfront there is:

fish: the pair of ocellaris clowns

pair of pink skunks

cherub pygmy angel

6 line wrasse (rescued from deathco, he still looked healthy)

lawnmower blenny

They're all still young and get along well, and I'm not-so-secretly plotting a large upgrade for this tank. If they were all adults I'd say this tank would be overstocked.

Inverts: Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Coral Banded Shrimp

4 Peppermint Shrimp

Brittle Star

"Phil" The left handed hermit

plus typical CUC

Corals: umbrella mushroom

green zoas

pink ricordeas

some kind of leather

some random brown polyps

lots of hitchhiker sponges/mini featherdusters

and just in case you were asking about the new cichlid tank there are 9 yellow labs, 5 kenyi's, and 3 bristlenose pleco fry, soon to transfer pictus catfish from 40b to cichlid tank.

They get along fine, for now. The ocellaris and male pink skunk are only 2" or so. The female pink skunk is the only pushy one at 3". The female ocellaris is a bit pushy to the male, but she leaves both pink skunks alone.

• 1 month later...

Hey man! :)

Im looking into getting that EXAT light! :o I know a fellow reefer whos got one used for 3 weeks, asking $200 obo so im gonna make an offer for $180 ;) I HOPE I GET IT!!!! :P lol

Since i have the 46g bowfront too like you, is it a good like in your eyes, what could i/we grow in the tanks with it? and should i get it? I love the way your tank looks with the lighting, and thats soooo funny im looking at the same one!!! Our tanks will really be twins then ;) lol

It's a pretty good light. You could keep LPS in the upper half of the tank with it. You could also keep the easier anemones in the upper half of the tank, too. I nursed a condy back that was so bleached it was practically clear. It runs a little hot, but it puts out pretty good light. It'll also depend on what bulbs you run. I was running an actinic and a 50/50, now there is a dual daylight with the actinic. I thought the 50/50 made the tank look better, but having the dual daylight puts out a ton more light. It's personal preference either way. Glad you like my setup. I'm in the process of starting an upgrade to a 90 gallon megaflow with 29 sump/fuge.

Thanks! :)

I want to keep frogspawns, and GSP.

I already have TONS of anthelia, mushrooms, and a baby toadstool... which all of them would appreciate better lighting :) Thats why i want to do it. I talked to the reefer, i can have it for $180 no problem! :) Im soooo happy! Not sure what the bulbs are. He just said 50/50... lol

Archived