Cultivated Reef

clams in nanos??!?!

tyh

here are a few of the thousand or so threads found when searching for clams. I tried to pick ones that might help answer your question. If you need more info, or if these don't answer your question, just follow the search guidelines and you'll get over 10 pages of clam juice.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...highlight=clams

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too little of light intensity. IMO clams should ONLY be kept under MH....but some do keep them under LOTS of PC's.

there are a ton of threads on this that cakeur pointed to some

Lunchbucket

There have been few people on this site that have been able to keep a clam alive in a nano for more than a few months. They just don't seem to do well in them and I don't really think it should be attempted.

That being said, if you do buy a clam, make sure it is farm raised and a low light type. That will give you the best chance at least.

No no Crakeur, if you have had some clams in a nano for a long time, SHARE.

That is how we learn. Tell us about your setup and clam care. How long have you had them? :)

i personally think the reason MANY or MOST of the clams die is that people do them in NON-SKIMMED TINY tanks w/ 13w PC's!!! that is just a graveyard and i believe that is why most die.

not too many here have MH's, ca reactors (so the grow good), skimmers, and feed heavy. that would help the odds IMO

Lunchbucket

my tank:

7 gallon with 2 1/2 gallon aquafuge.

Lighting: 70W hqi mh with 36w pc actinic bulb

two powerheads for circulation and a microchiller for chilling and additional movement (warm months only).

Water changes - very sporadic (all specs are good)

Livestock:

neon dottyback

reef lobster

various hermits, snails, lettuce nudi (3 babies) some slugs (deskjockey specials).

Xenia, 3 acro frags (lost a bunch thanks to the "incident"), yellow scroll, tons of logicalreef zoos, some real purty ricordia polyps, Capnella (outgrowing my tank), toadstool, hydnophora, too much caulerpa growing in main tank.

Fuge: two mangroves, tons of macro algae, stars, pods, worms etc.

I dose coral vital, c-balance (about twice a week, as needed) and reef complete.

Feed: DT's thrice weekly, Marine Snow twice weekly, flake once a week at most.

Think that covers it.

Clam is in my last round of photos in member tanks thread.

Oh and no skimmer at all. Been thinking about it as I have been getting a bit of a surface slime of late but I can't find the picollo online and I don't know if I want to mess with a skimmer since I have been fairly successful without it.

I have 2 squamosas in a 10g under 72w PC, skimmerless- and I haven't gone out of my way to feed them at all. They've grown a good deal since tinyreef gave them to me last summer. They were in his tank under PCs too, and he had good growth. I would hesitate to try a higher-light clam than these with my conditions, but I've had no problems with the squas (other than their insane appetite for Ca).

But tyh- I wouldn't try any clams until you can upgrade.

Mine's been around for just about 10 months now and I keep it under a 400w MH. They love the light (mine's a crocea by the way) but if your lighting is not so intense then feeding will make up for some of it but as they grow older they will rely more on lighting. Also be sure to keep the calcium levels up, I does my tank with b-ionic and kalk and the clam always has a new layer of stark white shell growth.

I keep thinking about maybe a tiny squamosa but even for one of the hardier clams I'd be worried about it not getting enouhg light and food in my tank. I guess I could pull him out and feed him separate once or twice a week with phyto.

Which ones stay the smallest ? Maximas? I know derasa, squamosa get big. There is a local clam broker here in Austin that runs www.theclamclub.net (sounds kind of kinky but he actually sells tridacna) so next time he gets some in I may buy a small one. Anyone know any other good clam merchants besides clamsdirect ?

I got my maxima from spsfrags.com. Excellent price and a nice size. Too small and they require too much care. I have enough trouble keeping my hands out of the tank. God protect the nano if I need to take my clam out once a day and place it in a separate container so that it will eat some DT's.

Originally posted by Satchmo

East Coast Clams.  I think they're a sponsor here now?

Yeah, I am planning on ordering some zoos from him and was actually waiting till he got some squamosas or maybe a small hippopus in also to add in on order. I've emailed him before asking questions he's a nice guy.

I read that hippoposomthingorother is dumb easy, but it grows large. I goit several tiny filter feeding clams that don't need light. they might not look cool, but do get rid of trates. in my FW tank I have tiny clams in the filter an it looks like they are reproducing.

That's Hippopus Hippopus Rupe... ;) Anyways they are one of the tougher variety from what I've read. Theyre usually not as colorful as the other Tridacnids and their mantle doesnt extend over the shell like others do but from pics I have seen they're pretty neat looking clams. Unfortunately I don't believe they are commonly avaliable....well, at least as common as other Tridacnid varieties at any rate......

Archived