Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ye olde English 2.5Gal Pico

SnowShiva

What o chaps,

I have been trawling all over these forums the past few months after seeing a vase with a wee hermit and some corals by a chance stumble on the net and I was intrigued by what I saw!

I always thought marine tanks had to be HUGH with pumps and skimmers the size of tower blocks but the little vase tank proved this wrong so off I went all over the net and found nano-reef.com and that was it I just HAD to give it ago for myself.

So I have finally finished my Uni exams for this year so off I went and I picked up one of the only suitable tanks I have seen in the UK for what I wanted its 12” x 8” x 8” that’s about 3 US Gal or 2.5 Gal in blighty.

While I was at the LFS I grabbed a Aquaclear 20 powerhead and a 50w Reefone heater, my light has just been delivered today and it boasts a whopping 8w White T5 and a 8w Actinic. I hope this will support some life for a while :D

I will probably be in need of lots of advice so any help will be gratefully received. B)

Pico290606_1SM.jpg

Now I need to get me some water and some LR!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought before I hit the sack for tonight, if I get some premixed water from my LFS will it be ok to put the LR into the cold water while I wait for the temp to rise?

Im just to impatient some times :P

sweet. u should also find a smal HOB filter to help keep the water clear nice small powerhead i think imma get one now

that will make one beautiful pico setup and not to worry about the lights T5's are about as good as you'll get on a nano. I think you will be very happy and insainly addicted as are we all.

cheers...jOSHUA

hehehe yet another pico inspired (or blamed) on me -- looks like a cool tank! wish I could run topless like that. Can't wait to follow this one too...as for cold water and LR -- don't do it -- unless it's actually 'room temperature' and not cold.

Thanks for the encouragement people B)

Right so Im off to the LFS now to pick up some pre-mixed water, then I will get some LR tomorrow :)

Cheers Argent for the inspiration I shall lift a beer to you tonight down the pub ;)

As for the topless tank park Im afraid of things falling into the tank and mega evaporation, so I may rethink it a little but for now its all good :D

The tank looks great. One bit of advice setting up a small DIY Auto Top Off works wonders for keeping the evaporation and salinity in check. I setup a ATO for my 2.5g Pico and it worked great.

Well good luck with your tank. :)

Hey all

I have just put live sand and rock in and its gone very murky :(

Im would like to have lots of different Zoa's but we shall see.

The light was purchased off ebay, and the tubes are normal output afaik, 8Watt and came with the light fixture.

As for the footy, :tears: well the less said the better I think.

Bah, theres always the tennis, Rugby and cricket to fall back on :D

Anyway to detract for the fact we never win on penalties heres a shot of my murky tank.

Pico020706_2.jpg

I have seen 2 tiny snails btw :D (about all I can see :P )

I will have to be patient for once :)

and ref Brazil lol, Thats exactly what my mate said this morning!

Oh I can see a few soft things pokeing out of the rock near the front of the tank, and one bit of LR has a few tube's on it, I hope there are some cool HH on these little bit of rubble fingerscrossed

Ok it cleared and I started to move the rock around so its cloudy again but hey ho.

:) Heres a pic

030706_2sm.jpg

Oh and upon moving the LR around I found this, it looks like an egg from the film Alien :o Should I get it out the tank?

030706_4sm.jpg

Its in the center of the tank in the first pic.

Archived