Top Shelf Aquatics

Ye olde English 2.5Gal Pico

SnowShiva

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates but work is mega intense at the momento :) And its Damn hot here in blighty.

And thats why I freaked when I came home from work today to find a hermit out of its shell and on the sand :(

I blamed my water change on sat and thought it was to salty, mixed with the evap from todays heat it must have been to much for the little guy.

Hehe Well it was just a molt :P foolish me eh.

To answer your questions KingoftheJungle Yes the legs do slide and go from about 16" to 3" :P bu tim not 100% on what you mean regarding the depth of the luminaire.

Ok the photos are comming its just that you cant really see much due to the red algae thats all over the tank, I hope this is normal!

Will clean it off soon and get some pics up shortly.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehe yeah I went through that whole 'naked hermit' panic as well - only to find out it was just a molt :P

Can't wait for pics!

Kingofthejungle

PicsPicsPics!! - So youre sayin I could put that thing on a 9" long tank!? :) , i just wanted to know how much room there was in the fixture depthwise ( Ie if you remove the tubes how much room is ther in it) cos i wanna put a halide in if it fits.

Hey all, Well the temp in England keeps on climbing and so far its not had an effect on my tanks fingerscrossed

My hermits have relocated my mushrooms onto the sand but they seem to be fine :D

Mush210706SM.jpg

I have just got myself a magfloat so the front of the tank has been cleaned and is now fit for pics.

Heres the FTS for you all B)

Pico210706SM.jpg

Oh and King, The light is pretty empty inside just the clips for the lights so I recon you could fit a MH in there but I dont know about the ballast.

To answer IrishTexan, I will try and bag some cheap/free frags sometime over the next week, cos im off for 2 weeks and I dont like the idea of stocking my tank and then leaving it in all this heat for 2 weeks solid! No mater how good an auto top off I make hehe

Its the summer hols here and and we run a space camp so time is taken up, im also off on holiday next week so its time to see how well my tank does on its own! :o

Nishant3789

shiva are you indian? and which part of the UK are you in? i was born near Kent, but im livin with yanks now.

I am from Birmingham :D.

Anyhoo I am back from my little break down south and I am going to the LFS to see if there are any nice frags going :D

Let you all know later on.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so that last trip to the LFS took a long time :P Well I got caught up in life and have been unable to get on here.

I have a Zoa frag i scored for nowt and a randy pair of crabs for you to have a butchers at :lol:

310806Zoas.jpg

Feast yur mince pies on these two

310806HermitHump.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been so busy I havnt been on NR for ages! The last week my zoas have closed up, and my shrooms have reduced to abhout a 1/4 of there size. So off to my LFS I went, explained the prob to the guy I know has a nano reef and he chucked me the Seachem Reef Pack Fundimentals for 15 quid.

Back home I went and added the reef carbonate and reef plus with my waterchange and added the reef complete this morning.

As far as my drunken maths could muster, I only needed about an 8th of a cap full.... Hmmm well hope thats right.

Now its fingers crossed fingerscrossed and todo a param check when I get home from filming later on today.

Checked my params just now.

Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite dont read as anything, But my Calcium seems to be VERY low!

I didnt think that softies needed Calcium though???

Hmmmmmm

Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a load of Diatom growth all over my tank, My mushrooms and Zoas have closed up, my 2 hermits died as well, within 3 weeks of each other..... Hmmm not looking good.

Phos read 0.5 and I was advised to use Rowaphos, so thats dangling in my tank at the mo, other than that all Params still seem fine . :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Im taking a flyer on this one but the build-up of algae im wondering if its my lights dying and shifting light spectrums or just not being enough for my softies.

So I have just retrofitted a 24w 12" 50/50 T5 into the cheapo chinese hood.

Maybe I will be right??? Does this sound likely? or am I clutching at straws?

Archived