SaltCritters.com

College 10g newb reef

bucknellreefer

Deleted User 7

Just make a wooden or steel frame to put the tank in when you move. The number 1 killer of tanks is twisting while moving, it's almost impossible to avoid unless you make a strong frame and transport it in that. I did it for a 130g tank i was setting up for a business back home.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bucknellreefer
Just make a wooden or steel frame to put the tank in when you move. The number 1 killer of tanks is twisting while moving, it's almost impossible to avoid unless you make a strong frame and transport it in that. I did it for a 130g tank i was setting up for a business back home.

that shouldn't be any more of a problem with the cube than it is with my 10, its no longer than the 10, just a whole lot heavier. I could see that being a real problem with something like a 20 long though, thin glass and longer.

I am actually kinda tempted to go bare bottom, it would make it a whole lot easier to move, no need to worry about stirring up the sand bed.

• 3 weeks later...
bucknellreefer

I snapped some new pics for ya, no real big updates. Everything made it though thanksgiving fine thanks to the auto top off i managed to rig up right before i left.

The montipora frags i got seem to be doing pretty well, they are showing some growth in the month or so that i have had them. I have some before and after pics that show the growth in a couple of the frags pretty well.

Green Digi

before

greenmid.jpg

after

greenafter.jpg

before

bigbefore.jpg

after

biggbefore.jpg

here is a purple cap, the edge was more flat before and now its growing out:purpnew.jpg

A new toy i picked up during the black friday sale at best buy 22'' lcd for $200, no more squinting at my tiny 12'' powerbook screen.

newtoy.jpg

bucknellreefer

I head home on the 15th and I am really dreading the tank move. It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't have to do it again a month later...

bucknellreefer

Here are some pics i took with just the fuge light on at night. I built a stand for m camera and put it on a timer to make it still. the focus could use a little work but its a cool effect, kinda creepy really. one of my scarlet hermits has taken to perching in the the one monti at night, i hope he isn't doing any damage...

night2.jpg

night1.jpg

nighthermit.jpg

bucknellreefer
ooo, cool. You don't have any lunar lights on that?

no, but there is pretty significant light spill over from the miniaqualight i am using as a fuge light.

bucknellreefer
The fether dusters in the first post arent fetherdusters they are some kind of polyp i have a few in my tank...

I think we established that they were hydroids

• 3 weeks later...
bucknellreefer

The move went pretty well, everything made it ok. Some of the montis looked a little rough for a couple days but now they are doing fine. I might try and take a few pics before I head off to my grandmothers for X-mas, it looks pretty different, i just wanted to get everything in quickly and as a result my aquascape changed considerably.

• 1 month later...

^no more than two fish in a 10g tank. you could get a clown pair or a clown and a damsel but those three fish place a high bioload on tanks. hth.

How far do you move your tank? I might be moving mine 2300 miles this summer over break...and I am looking for suggestions. Do you bag everything?

• 2 weeks later...
bucknellreefer

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been pretty busy with school and baseball lately. The tank is doing ok, the monti's didn't take the move back too school well, hopefully they will recover some.

I haven't added anything since the last update, there isn't too much space left and I don't really have much mony to be spending on the tank. I also think i am going to have to put off the 33g upgrade so I am just letting this tank grow out with out any additions at least for the time being.

• 3 months later...
bucknellreefer

Well, I haven't really updated this thread in a few months, been too busy with school and baseball. But now summer is here and hopefully I will be working again in the very near future so updates and changes are on the way. Current plan is to move all current stock to a 15g just to have a little more space and the extra aquascaping options that will give me. I may add another fish when I upgrade, maybe a small goby or blenny or possibly a six-line wrasse.

SUMMERY: UPDATES SOOOON

bucknellreefer

Okay, update time!

I haven't really added anything to the tank since Novemberish and the moves/lack of maintenence have taken somewhat of a toll on my corals. I had a another mysterious zoanthid die off, the only zoas I have left now are the red centereds and pinks. I am not too certain of what causes this, I think it may have something to do with the lack of stability in a system that is moved fairly often though, hopefully things will improve over the summer.

The xenia and gsp have really taken off and help to make the tank look a little more full which is nice. I am planning to add some more quicker growing softies to see if i can get the tank more filled looking.

I have also had a bit of a bubble algae problem and today I purchased a tiny emerald crab to see if he can mow it back a bit.

Here are some pics I took of the tank this evening, it is looking a little sparse but overall I am happy with it.

Lloyd:

clownin.jpg

Sleeping in the Xenia at night:

caught.jpg

Bubble Algae explosion:

bubbles.jpg

The Fix aka "Mr. Crabby"

crabby.jpg

Xenia:

xeniaaaa.jpg

Red Centers:

reds-1.jpg

Blasto:

PICT0295.jpg

and last but not least FTS:

PICT0293.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
bucknellreefer

Half the bubble algae has been eliminated, crab is doing a damn fine job. I also got some new corals from oceanhighz, I will probably take some pictures soon. I hope to have everything moved into a 20H within the next couple weeks.

I was thinking about using the spare 250w Halide I have lying around but I am thinking i will just stick with my 70w and suppliment it with some PCs or T-5s. I just don't wanna fry my lower light corals/boil the tank.

• 1 year later...
Half the bubble algae has been eliminated, crab is doing a damn fine job. I also got some new corals from oceanhighz, I will probably take some pictures soon. I hope to have everything moved into a 20H within the next couple weeks.

I was thinking about using the spare 250w Halide I have lying around but I am thinking i will just stick with my 70w and suppliment it with some PCs or T-5s. I just don't wanna fry my lower light corals/boil the tank.

Updates? It's been about a year since your last one, so I'm curious.

Archived