Top Shelf Aquatics

College 10g newb reef

bucknellreefer

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bucknellreefer
Absolutely gorgeous tank :D . Was just curious, what kind of liverock is this? (sorry if this was mentioned before)

Its Figi Live rock which was purchased from Dr. Mac at Pacific East Aquaculture. I went out to their retail store and he helped me pick it out himself. I have been very happy with it and at under $4 a pound its hard to complain.

• 2 weeks later...
bucknellreefer

Well, I have been really busy with school and baseball lately so i haven't had much time to take pics. unfortunately since then i have lost a large portion of my zoas to unknown causes, i will post some pictures of them incase anyone has any insights into what might have killed them. with the exception of the zoas and the tiny acro frag i added everthing else seems to be pretty happy. I have been playing with the placement of my hammer coral trying to get it to extend its polyps more fully but i haven't had too much luck yet.

The zoas are really a mystery to me, a couple of the frags i lost were new and were looking fine until the stopped opening and never did again, which at least seems to make some sense to me because they may not have acclimated well to my system. However, at the same time i lost the first zoa i ever purchased which has been in my tank for over 2 months and had grown from 5 polyps to 9 or 10. I did freshwater dips when they started looking really bad and that seemed to help a little but then they just got even worse. here are some pics:

Before:

purps.jpg

After:

deadpurps.jpg

Before:

brightpink.jpg

After:

pinks.jpg

Before:

origzoas.jpg

After (the one polyp open in this pic has since closed):

dyingorange.jpg

This whole think is really frustrating to be because i really like zoas and i was looking forward to watching them grow out over time.

The pinks i got pretty early on are still going strong, these had 2 polyps and one small bud when i get them and have since really taken off. I just don't understand why some of them seem to be thriving while others are dying and how they can quickly switch from one group to another.

healthyp.jpg

These are also unaffected:

healthyg.jpg

Are you sure it's not predation, do you know about pyramid snails and zoa eating spiders? Have you inspected your tank at night?

If not predation it could be for water reasons, how are your other corals doing? Test every param you can and make sure it's right. Make sure you're not using any alu based phosphate media or similar, and inspect your tank for any stray metal or foreign object that may have dropped in.

The Propagator

Thats most definately a disease,or a fungus you have going on there, and not predation.

Have you diped all of your LPS and softies in dechlorinated fresh water with iodine or just dechlorinated fresh water yet like I suggested?

The two that are not bothered are not zoanthids, they are palythoas. You have to have either the zoanthid eating nudibranches or sundial snails. Look very closely and make sure. If you have the snails pull them off, if you have the nudibranches you'll have to do freshwater dips and keep your eyes peeled and make sure no more pop up. Sometimes they lay eggs in the zoanthids and the eggs will survive the dips and you'll have a reinfestation.

bucknellreefer
The two that are not bothered are not zoanthids, they are palythoas. You have to have either the zoanthid eating nudibranches or sundial snails. Look very closely and make sure. If you have the snails pull them off, if you have the nudibranches you'll have to do freshwater dips and keep your eyes peeled and make sure no more pop up. Sometimes they lay eggs in the zoanthids and the eggs will survive the dips and you'll have a reinfestation.

i dipped all the zoas and the only things that fell off were some pods and a couple small stomatellas. I have looked at pictures of all the common zoa parasites and i haven't seen anything like that in my tank. I do spend a pretty good amount of time observing my aquarium because it sits on my desk right next to my computer.

I also tend to think its not predation because there is no physical damage to the zoas, when they first close up they look perfectly normal and then after a few days they slowly start to shrink, the purples have been closed for a couple weeks and they are probably dead but they still look like closed zoanthids.

To the Propagator:

I haven't fw dipped all my corals yet just cause i am kinda nervous about it. Might be silly of me but I just don't want to harm the only things that are looking normal.

The Propagator

El' Wrongo' :) Those are both zoanthids. I have frags a plenty of both kinds.

Dude, come on. DIP THE CORAL.

It WILL NOT KILL YOUR CORAL ;)

I am not talking about a 1-2 minute dip. I mean 30-45 seconds max.

while swishing them around real good.

I'm telling ya man. Even if the ones that are left look dead dip them in freshwater or preferably fresh water with iodine or your gonna be hate'n life even worse later.

Thats some sort of protozoan infection homey. Its not seaspiders, nudis, or sundials. :)

Dip your rock too if you can. It could be some sort or protozoan traveling along your rock from colony to colony?

Are the colonies uneffected touching the other rock work or were they when this happend?

Your tank is way to small to let somthing like that work its self out. Its just gonna keep spreading. :(

Crap man give me your adress again and I will priority mail you a little container of iodine. ( seriously)

When you dip just make sure the temp is close and the water is dechlorinated.

Dont bother with Ph matching because its freshwater,and thier still gonna get shocked.

If you have any zoanthids that look like they are getting a light film on them rub it off. ( WHILE IN THE DIP)

Put them in the container of fresh water then SLOWLY start adding drops of iodine until you see critters falling off. Then swish the bejesus out of it and rubb of any fungus or film you see on them.

Put all that look infected ( AFTER YOU DIP THEM) under high flow, and right out under the light.

DO NOT let anyone talk you into dipping zoanthids or soft coral with Tectra-D coral dip. It is ment for lps and stonies period.

It will kill anemones and most soft coral. ( dont forget zoanthids are colonial anemones ;) )

I am serious about mailing you some iodine man. Seeing those beautifull pinkpalys I sent you rot just made me sick!

I wana cure your tank brother.

bucknellreefer

Wow, Thanks!

I guess i will get ready to start dipping, I will need to pick up some water i guess.

Thanks so much for your help, I just wanna get through this...

The Propagator

OK Homey. What I'll do is send you the rest of what I have left and buy a new bottle for my self.

It's only about 2" full in an 8 OZ. bottle.

But all you need is a few drops at a time.

Do you have a pipette? If not I will send one with it.

That way you can pour a small amount into the cap and use the pipette to dose in the freshwater.

Pick up some water? Damn dude you guys dont have running tap water in the dorm? LOL!

It dosent have to be R/O water. Remember they are going to get shocked by it any ways because its fresh water so R/O, none R/O dosent matter. Just dechlorinate it 1st. ;)

I am gonna ship the iodine off tonight Priority mail.

Look for it thursday, friday I guess?

TP

bucknellreefer
OK Homey. What I'll do is send you the rest of what I have left and buy a new bottle for my self.

It's only about 2" full in an 8 OZ. bottle.

But all you need is a few drops at a time.

Do you have a pipette? If not I will send one with it.

That way you can pour a small amount into the cap and use the pipette to dose in the freshwater.

Pick up some water? Damn dude you guys dont have running tap water in the dorm? LOL!

It dosent have to be R/O water. Remember they are going to get shocked by it any ways because its fresh water so R/O, none R/O dosent matter. Just dechlorinate it 1st. ;)

I am gonna ship the iodine off tonight Priority mail.

Look for it thursday, friday I guess?

TP

Thanks again man

I could use the pipette, and i will steal some dechlorinater from my gf, i am pretty sure she has some for her betta.

When i get it i should dip everything?

The Propagator

All your zoanthids and softies, and the rock they are on.

Ahhh . I'll send instructions with it.

Oh and its no problem man. Your a college "dork" ;) who lives and goes to school in east boo-foo. I definately see the problem you have getting the proper stuff.

I dont mind helping you out at all.

TP

The Propagator

Ok it's on the way !!

Look for it either tomorow or the day after. Since your only in PA it should take to long going priority.

I didnt send instructions though because I was in a hurry.

Just reffer back to this thread.

;)

bucknellreefer
Ok it's on the way !!

Look for it either tomorow or the day after. Since your only in PA it should take to long going priority.

I didnt send instructions though because I was in a hurry.

Just reffer back to this thread.

;)

I got the iodine and dipped all of my zoas, I also fragged of the last healthy polyp of my original orange rimmed zoas and it is already opened up.

bad news is they shut off AC to my dorm to switch over to the furnace for winter. of course it got up into the mid-high 70s today and my tank hit 83 degrees, i threw a fan on and managed to lower it back to 81, hopefully it stays cool or i am so F**KED.

P.S. The propagator is the man and i am going to make a thread to announce this.

You will be fine with two false perculas, i have a pair along with a very large LTA and some shrimp among other things and my bioload in quite managable. You might also check out reefcentral.com as there are specific forums for clownfish, anenomes, nano tanks ect... You will notice one of the fish will be more dominant and grow slightly larger, that will be your female and the fish are best introduced together at a young age. However they are hermaphrodites and can change sex.

Best regards

Ryan

I am pretty sure its an astralux 14k, i might be mistaken about the brand but it is a 14k bulb.

Cool. The reason I ask is because I'm looking into 70w retrofit kits for when I set up my 10 gallon.

Keep it up with the sweet tank!

bucknellreefer
Cool. The reason I ask is because I'm looking into 70w retrofit kits for when I set up my 10 gallon.

Keep it up with the sweet tank!

I got mine from Light Dr. here on n-r.com (illuming.com). I came prewired with everything for $140 including shipping. installing it was a snap and its been trouble free for 4 months.

• 4 weeks later...
bucknellreefer

Its been awhile since my last update, I haven't had a camera to take pics and nothing has really been added. I finally got my camera back and I got some neon gsp from floorlord so here are some more new and updated picture of my tank. My hammer coral has never really been happy and now its half gone, some days the half left looks great and on others it won't extend at all. Here are the pics

My xenia is doing great, its slowly spreading:

xenia.jpg

These pink zoas have gone from only 2 polyps to this since i got them about 3 months ago:

pnkgrwth.jpg

Bright green zoas:

greenies.jpg

Here are some nice zoas I got from the Propagator a while back:

bloodrain-1.jpg

A nice red blasto a got from my girlfriend for my birthday at the beginning of september:

blasto.jpg

A FTS taken today, don't mind the glare from my window:

fts10.jpg

Here is a shot of the tank on my desk at school:

deskfts.jpg

bucknellreefer

I almost forgot, here is my newest friend. He is currently living in a large rubbermaid container.

PICT0016.jpg

His name is Hercules and he is a baby red eared slider.

Archived