Innovative Marine Aquariums

College 10g newb reef

bucknellreefer

The tank looks great and so do the corals. Nice looking Turtle, hopefully you have plans for a very large tank(75-125g) when it gets older.

Well anyway keep up the good work. :)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bucknellreefer
The tank looks great and so do the corals. Nice looking Turtle, hopefully you have plans for a very large tank(75-125g) when it gets older.

Well anyway keep up the good work. :)

Yeah, he is probably going to end up in one of those 100g rubbermaid stock tanks people use as sumps.

You said your xenia is growing--if you ever decide to frag it, you should help a fellow Pennsylvania college reefer out and send it to me...I'd pay shipping + small price.

I love your tank.

bucknellreefer
You said your xenia is growing--if you ever decide to frag it, you should help a fellow Pennsylvania college reefer out and send it to me...I'd pay shipping + small price.

I love your tank.

Sure thing, I am actually getting ready to try and get rid of a bunch, its really started to take off. I have heard that xenia doesn't ship well though so I dunno how well it would work out.

Other exciting news, yesterday I attended my first frag swap, the NCPARS fall meeting in Reading. It was fun to meet some new people and I picked up some really nice pieces at good prices. I decided to give some SPS a shot. I got a variety of different montiporas, red and purple caps and red and green digis. I also picked up some zoas since the ones that survived the plauge seem to be fully recovered and happy now.

Here are some pics:

Eagle Eyes

eagleeyes.jpg

Bright Reds(this are sweeet, my new favorites):

reds.jpg

Tonga Shroom:

shroom.jpg

Purple Monti Cap (super purple and bright!):

purpcap.jpg

Bright Red Digi (I think this is the same one they have in the Penn State Aquarium):reddigi.jpg

I am very hopeful that these SPS will do well, they are supposed to be pretty hardy and I should have more than enought light to keep them happy. My tank is also now over 5 months old so it should be getting much more stable.

Thanks for looking!

bucknellreefer

Couple more pics I took last night, here is a topdown shot that really brings out the color in the EEs:

topdown1.jpg

And a fully up to date FTS:

ftssps1.jpg

bucknellreefer
Wow... That's Amazing- one of the cleanest looking ones I've ever seen! Roughly how much have you spent so far on it?

Nice Tank!!!

I don't really wanna think about that too much..... omgomgomg

If i had to guess i would say probably right around $700-800 (probably a huge underestimate) for everything. The problem is that whenever you think you have all that you need something else pops up and its another $40 and that just adds up (I still need to get that stupid ATO sigh....). Even though i think its starting to look nice I don't think it looks that nice yet! The experience has been well worth it so far though, hopefully it will be just as fun as it has been these first few months for a long time to come.

Hey I am a new"B" and I was wandering through the endless forum posts and found your tank discussion one of interest. I just the other day started my 14g BioCube and was wondering how things were working out in your 10g tank. I love the original rock and sand pics, how bout an up-and-running reef shot?

K forget that whole little spurt. I totally didn't even see the whole thing that you just posted pics today. Yeah, as I said I am a total New "B". :P ANyway, it is looking awesome and will, I am sure be one of my inspiration tanks.

I got kinda bored so I made a movie!

Its about 16MB so highspeed only.

My Reef

Hey, I am learning quickly, the computer and tank stuff. The video was great. Those zoas are awesome. I can't wait to get my cycling over with!

bucknellreefer
Absolutely gorgeous tank, :D How many lbs of LR you got in there? Also just curious, is it touching the back of the aquarium?

I think I bought 13 lbs, its only touching the the back in one place. It wasn't touching at all but i had to add a smallish piece to mount the pink zoas on and its propped against the back wall.

bucknell,

what are you doing over christmas break? i'm stumped about how i'm taking care of my tank. I've been trying to explain the care to my friends, but they don't seem eager. I have an auto feeder, but i don't think my fish eat flake fast enough before it gets sucked into the filter. any suggestions?

bucknellreefer
bucknell,

what are you doing over christmas break? i'm stumped about how i'm taking care of my tank. I've been trying to explain the care to my friends, but they don't seem eager. I have an auto feeder, but i don't think my fish eat flake fast enough before it gets sucked into the filter. any suggestions?

I am planning on taking it apart and taking it home for the month and then bringing it back. Its going to be a bit of a pain but I don't think i have much of a choice, I am pretty sure they cut power to the dorms over winter break. Over shorter breaks i just leave it and i found someone to watch it over fall break. For thanksgiving i should have my topoff rigged up and i will probably get an autofeeder and feed like half as much as normal, my fish and shrimp eat really fast so I think that should be ok.

Small update:

The shroom I picked up on sunday is starting to color up nicely and its really turning out to be huge! It must be at least 3 inches across.

shroom-1.jpg

bucknellreefer
I transported a 10 gallon reef back and forth from college for a year, it sucks.

Aww! C'mon, it's not that bad! I know it would be nice to have a tank setup and not make decisions based on whether it will still be mobile or not, but to have my own little reef in my dorm room is well worth the hassle. It's training for the bigger, better tank I can have when I am no longer semi-nomadic and the best way to procrastinate!

bucknellreefer

I am hoping the 33g oceanic will hold up to moves, the glass is pretty damn thick. I got my remora last week so now all i need are the powerheads. I hope people have the nano tunzes back in stock by xmas!

Archived