inTank Media Baskets

Bring it back!

VermontReef

VermontReef

Tank was getting over crowded. I was almost going to start thining out the softies and keeping SPS only. When... a bright idea came to mind. I'll buy a bigger tank instead... what a great idea!!

Not what my wife thought.

But it was a great deal hun!!

My new 90 Gallon Oceanic. Custom hood and Canopy.

e39bf445.jpg

1.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VermontReef

I just dropped over $300 for lights. What the wife doesn't know will keep me alive.

2-250watt MH ballasts

1 440watt VHO ballast

2 XM 10k bulbs

2 110 VHO bulbs

c9_1_b.JPG

+ $60 for a coralife quad for the fuge

+ $15 for a 20L tank (fellow reefer saved me some $)

+ $75 for the skimmer

+ $65 for a Quiet one 6000 return pump

Ouch!! I thought the nano was expensive LOL

I just dropped over $300 for lights. What the wife doesn't know will keep me alive.

2-250watt MH ballasts

1 440watt VHO ballast

2 XM 10k bulbs

2 110 VHO bulbs

c9_1_b.JPG

+ $60 for a coralife quad for the fuge

+ $15 for a 20L tank (fellow reefer saved me some $)

+ $75 for the skimmer

I thought the nano was expensive LOL

Where did you get that light setup from?

VermontReef
Where did you get that light setup from?

I got it from someone selling it on ebay. They purchased the whole setup from hellolights.com but never used the setup.

I got them wired up and here is a picture with the lights on the tank. The glass on the tank is all dusty because I added sand/water and had a milkshake for a couple days.

light.jpg

I decided to go with a plenum setup since it has always worked for me.

Here it is once I attached pvc to eggcrate.

plenum.jpg

w/plenum installed

plenumintank.jpg

w/ .5in of crushed coral

crushcoral.jpg

my little helper

kyliehelp.jpg

VermontReef

Thanks guys. It's been quite a bit of work and $$ ofcourse.

I bought a 20 gallon long for the fuge off a fellow reefer. Great deal as it was practically new.

Had a chance to do some work turning it into a sump/fuge. I looked around for ideas and designed it on a fuge from Melev's reef

Here are some pics. I liked how the fuge was on the right and is fed by the return pump and can be controlled with a ball valve. (ball valve is on the right, light is blocking it from view)

fuge.jpg

sump.jpg

VermontReef
Nice benz too. What are your plans for fish?

A keen eye you have andre. Benz, unfortunately, not mine. Going to hold off on fish for awhile until the tank is completely cycled.

But, corals and live rock have been moved in along with the few fish I already have.

This tank is an upgrade from my 46 bow front. The nano is in my daughters room and she won't let me steal anything out of hers:(

Down with the old, up with the new

Wow!! What a lot of work this was. I ended up setting it up downstairs because I didn't want to have a 90gal tank fall through the floor. Didn't trust the supports... and because I rent, didn't want to modify their floors(landlord's a bit fussy, ie rule #278 no magnets on fridge :o ) I must have gone up and down the stairs 300 times.

Anyhow, here are the pics.

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

new4.jpg

The 46 coming down.

old1.jpg

old2.jpg

And how lucky of me to get to clean up this mess.

nasty.jpg

I am now working on an auto top off system because I go away quite often and don't want to come home to any disasters. I am trying my own design using a float switch, a 5 gallon poland springs bottle, and a battery operated water pump that was designed to mount on top of the poland springs bottle. Eventually I will wire in the RO/DI to the water bottle. Will post some pics and add it to the DIY section of the forums if it actually works.

VermontReef
I love the 2 islands.

Tank looks a little empty... anyone have some corals they want to donate :) lol

VermontReef
Nice, what are you doing for flow? I see the Sump Return and the Power Head for the plenum.

After a month or so I will pull the tube for the plenum and run that maxi-jet free. I just mounted a second maxi-jet 1200 on the opposite end of the tank. So two maxi-jet 1200's and a Quiet one 6000 for the return. Think this is adequate for flow? I was thinking of getting a Mag 18 instead of the Quiet One 6000 for a little more flow from the return.

bobbi_dooley

Looks fantastic.

Can you give me your wife's email? I have been wanting to practice my blackmailing skills. (along with my numchuck skills) Those lights could get you in a lot of trouble.

---- BTW can you draw a small diagram of your sump setup/return. I would like to do something similer.

Bobbi

VermontReef

Here is a basic layout of the sump. Sorry for the crappyness. I drew it up in paintshop real quick. Plus I forgot the ball valve for the overflow that comes into the sump on the left.

schem.jpg

VermontReef
believe it or not- that really helps.. THANKS!!

Bobbi

No problem. My next trick will be getting these moonlights in the hood without taking it off. :o lol

• 4 weeks later...
non-photosynt

Great tank! How heavy is canopy - is it pine? I'm doing now light box for AH lights using 5/8" thick, 6" high pine, feels heavy. Will 90 g tank hold that weight, in your opinion?

Archived